Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 07:32 AM

11 posts, read 29,733 times

Advertisements

We are owners, free and clear, of our home in our small HOA in North Ga. There are several people here who have 1 ton trucks parked in their driveway at all times. Some people have nice boats that they tow to the lake and they do not keep their boat here but store it elsewhere. We choose to park my husbands truck at the club house which is not too far away because we have a very short driveway. He has backed it in our driveway (not over the grass and completely on the concrete and it does not hang over into the street) and parked it next to my little S-10. I keep the Equinox in the garage. Because we have 3 vehicles and a short driveway, it is annoying to have to move one of the vehicles in order to get the Equinox out.

We are working with an agent who brought up the issue because I initially asked her to find homes that had a longer or wider drive.

We are not going to be renting...we will buy a home.

We are just trying to find a nice house in a nice neighborhood that allows large NICE personal trucks to be parked in their own driveway. Good Grief!!!

Thanks to everyone who is letting me know the names of subdivisions that definitely do or do not have the restrictions on truck parking. I add these to my master list and can narrow down my search.

I think people should not have to worry about parking their NICE car/truck in their OWN driveway... If I looked out from my front porch and saw other home owners with their cars and trucks in their OWN driveway....I'd think....Gee, nice truck/car....I'm in America!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 01:19 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
OK I am in between jobs and don't have alot of time to post my research, but WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR INFORMATION?

Actually Trillium has a bylaw requiring ALL vehicles park in the garage and keep the garage clear of debris so that they CAN park in there. PAGE 29

YOU WILL SEE that they EVEN had to write that garages must be closed and NOT CONVERTED to additional living space to keep the MAN CAVES with GUYS IN THEIR UNDERWEAR at bay.

http://archoicemanagement.com/trilli..._view.asp?id=9

Like THIS GUY. He lives in a very LAX HOA because he has:

His truck overhanging the sidewalk.

His DOG OUTSIDE all day on the driveway

His GARAGE open all day with it STUFFED TO THE BRINK with crap. More power to him. He did NOT decide to move to TRILLIUM.

All this drama and I have yet to find any evidence of your claims about Ashley and ALL other HOAs, though. Trillium is a SMALL place and JUST LIKE WHERE YOU LIVE NOW, your big truck will NOT FIT those driveways OR garage.

So why are you even looking THERE? Speaking of which, with a 200K budget you don't have THAT many HOAs with restrictions to chose from anyway. THAT'S why you were looking at THAT section of Trillium, right?

You'd be hard pressed to find ANY STREET in Vero Beach without trucks, boats, RVs, golf carts, motorcycles etc.

Just not in ALL HOAS.

I went to the offices of Ashley, Vero Lago, Lexington this morning and not a SINGLE ONE has those restrictions.

You can have a pickup in your driveway 24 hours per day as long as there's no advertising and no ladders and other commercial stuff hanging off. In THOSE THREE. Even a "DOOLEY". JUST KEEP IT OFF THE SIDEWALK AND OFF THE GRASS. Now will it FIT? That's YOUR responsibility to know.

If it's their definition of commercial, you have to part AT NIGHT in the garage.

Amelia Plantation - NO mention of anything other than commercial trucks. With pretty LAX wording. Of course they are 100-200K higher than what you'r looking at but the same neighborhood one street over from Ashley.

http://www.ameliaplantation.net/docu...strictions.pdf

IN OTHER HOAS, IE Legend Lakes, there IS SPECIFIC LANGUAGE about the PICKUP TRUCK (and commercial vehicles) cannot be larger than 3/4 TON and a certain linear length and height yada yada to be ON THE DRIVEWAY, otherwise it must be in the garage.

DOCS:

http://www.legendlakes.org/i/u/60305...clarations.pdf

You're jumping WAY AHEAD OF YOURSELF getting mad at a hypothetical problem when you have never even BEEN HERE to LOOK IN PERSON?

I think having thousands of homes with NO RESTRICTIONS is a decent trade off for a VERY VERY FEW HOAS that MIGHT not work for you and all your vehicles.

All you have to do is CALL THE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT COMPANY to ask about restrictions. OR look online. Like I did. Also, Indian River Clerk of Court Website under "NAME" enter the HOA name and document type and select REStrictions and submit.

http://ori.indian-river.org/Home/index

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-17-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 02:37 PM

910 posts, read 2,210,732 times
"Actually Trillium has a bylaw requiring ALL vehicles park in the garage and keep the garage clear of debris so that they CAN park in there."

I wonder what Trillium homeowners do when they have houseguests ? Does Trillium make exceptions for that ?

Old 11-17-2014, 04:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,797,253 times
Are there really people who care if a non-commercial vehicle is parked in a driveway overnight?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:13 PM

Never underestimate what some HOA people care about. I was told that one person actually bicycles around our neighborhood, looking for violations to report (She is NOT on the Violation Committee, she just likes to do this). It can bring out the Barney Fife in a lot of people, sadly.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
"Actually Trillium has a bylaw requiring ALL vehicles park in the garage and keep the garage clear of debris so that they CAN park in there."

I wonder what Trillium homeowners do when they have houseguests ? Does Trillium make exceptions for that ?
I didn't see anything about that. But I only read the main restriction doc not all the others.

I've worked in there and drive by every day. I just didn't use my code to go inside to check it out like I did the others. I don't like using a client's code without their permission.

There ARE A FEW CARS in the driveways. No, not lined up and down the block. So my assumption is they loosely enforce it. Or most of the people respect the bylaw. Or they were just home for a brief stop and not out there all day. They do have a clubhouse so maybe there's parking for guests there, I'm not sure. But those streets are small and you couldn't really park on the street, either.

My guess is they COULD give out parking passes like you get in high rises with limited parking spaces or when you go say, into Grand Harbor's Assisted Living building - they give you one for the day or week or whatever.

My condo building only has 8 guest spaces for about 8 condos and that includes one handicapped spot.

I drove by your HOA this week and those houses facing Oslo look like they have pretty short driveways themselves.

The OTHER thing is, when you're looking at these new construction houses, it depends on your LOT size. Some have longer driveways than other because of the set back being deeper. And they're premium lots, too. So what if you're determined to move to one, and there are no more pie shaped or deeper lots available?

This is Lexington. This guy has to park on his grass for the OTHER car to fit next to him or in the garage it seems. AND his truck bed is right up against the sidewalk.

But if you look from THIS angle, he can't be bothered to pull UP TO THE GARAGE so people can easily walk on the sidewalk.

As a dog walker, I notice this stuff. I am NOT walking dogs in the street.

Same with these people Vero Lago. Just too much trouble to park UP BY THE GARAGE DOOR.

On a CURVE. With a MEDIAN and TREE.

Then we have THIS GUY.

He needs to block HIS garage so he can fit his smoker there. LOLOLOL. Shannon's Walk.

This poor guy is touching his garage and his pickup barely fits.

I could go on and on and on.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-18-2014 at 02:25 AM..

Old 11-18-2014, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Are there really people who care if a non-commercial vehicle is parked in a driveway overnight?
OK, first of all, the HOAs are created by and MANAGED BY the BUILDERS before the first unit is ever SOLD until later when the residents take it over at around 80% sold. The regs are on FILE with the state of Florida as an HOA is "regulated" by the state.

So it's NO SURPRISE when people start moving there.

The only evidence of this "overnight parking" thing is at Trillium who wants people to park IN GARAGES all the time. All vehicles. I could make a case that you have to have people park overnight so they don't have to be bothered policing workmen all day long....or they NEVER WILL park in the garage and have their garages filled with crap preventing it. Even THOUGH in 90% or more of the HOAs such rule doesn't even EXIST.

And Legend Lakes if your truck is larger than 3/4 ton - it's classified "commercial".

You have to realize these driveways are SMALL and plenty of them do not even FIT A TRUCK.

Evidenced by all these photos I took within a short period of time doing my normal routine dog walking.

And as you can ALSO SEE, half of these people CANNOT BE BOTHERED EVEN PARKING RIGHT up close to their own garage door, and overhanging the walkway so you can't walk past their HOUSE without walking in the STREET. OR they have two vehicles parked BEHIND each other that DON'T fit the driveway either.

Did YOU spend $250,000 to have to walk IN THE STREET when you want to take a walk around your neighborhood? What if EVERY SINGLE HOUSE blocked the sidewalk? WHO do you let block it and who do you stop from that? What if people are trying to walk their DOGS? Are they supposed to walk in the street, too?

What about KIDS? Are THEY SUPPOSED TO GO IN THE STREET TOO?

Are there REALLY people who think blocking sidewalks is OK? YES.

Bylaws are created to prevent the EXTREMES of people disrespecting OTHERS - not to micromanage NORMAL PEOPLE.

I have very nice people who moved downstairs from me. They've been here a month and every single day park in a visitor spot because it's in front of their condo and too lazy to walk from their ASSIGNED SPOT 10 feet away next to MY assigned spot. So when I back OUT of my spot, I am inches away from their bumper, having to make an extra cut especially in the dark. NO REASON not to use their PARKING SPOT. And if they need a handicap permit, go GET ONE. I haven't mentioned it. YET.

What if EVERYONE refused to use their ASSIGNED SPOT and parked in the visitor spots? Where would visitors and workmen park?

Also, don't forget renters. Not only do they not get a vote or have an interest in the community, they usually don't even care. Like the tenants next door to me for the winter leaving ALL THEIR SHOES OUT IN THE ATRIUM where we have seating and MIGHT WANT TO SIT OUT. Without staring at your dirty shoe collection.

Ask anyone in an HOA and you'll find out THEY are the demographic who most thinks it's perfectly fine to push boundaries or even break rules then complain about the HOA.

What's AMAZING TO ME is that PARKING can become such a big deal. Simply because SOME PEOPLE think they are MORE IMPORTANT than others.

Quote:
I think people should not have to worry about parking their NICE car/truck in their OWN driveway... If I looked out from my front porch and saw other home owners with their cars and trucks in their OWN driveway....I'd think....Gee, nice truck/car....I'm in America
Then move to a community where you can park your truck in your driveway.

There are hundreds of them here, including 95% of all HOAs. AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON YOUR DRIVEWAY, NOT ENCROACHING ON THE PUBLIC SIDEWALK AND NOT HAVING TO PARK IN THE HOA CLUBHOUSE BECAUSE YOUR TRUCK IS TOO BIG. LIKE YOU DO NOW. It's not hard to do.

My suggestion is to STOP FOCUSING on ONE or TWO communities that doesn't want your BIG truck (and three vehicles) in the driveway (because it's the CHEAPEST HOA) and find one that doesn't care.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-18-2014 at 02:52 AM..

Old 11-18-2014, 03:39 AM

People considering an HOA MIGHT want to make use of the IRC site to read ALL THE DOCS before getting all excited for one or the other, since Eagle Trace just amended theirs for pets and there's an aggressive breed dog bylaw.

Enter name
Select Restrictions
Submit
Select - double click on - the document
hit print all pages if you want to scroll the entire document instead of page by page BUT DON"T PRINT IT

Landmark Web Official Records Search

Old 11-18-2014, 08:33 AM

Our neighborhood - The Preserve - does not have sidewalks. I assume this is an optional thing for HOA communities. I am fine with not having one, as the streets are not that busy for walkers, and a sidewalk is one more thing that I assume the homeowner is in charge of maintaining.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:35 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,797,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OK, first of all, the HOAs are created by and MANAGED BY the BUILDERS before the first unit is ever SOLD until later when the residents take it over at around 80% sold. The regs are on FILE with the state of Florida as an HOA is "regulated" by the state.

So it's NO SURPRISE when people start moving there.

The only evidence of this "overnight parking" thing is at Trillium who wants people to park IN GARAGES all the time. All vehicles. I could make a case that you have to have people park overnight so they don't have to be bothered policing workmen all day long....or they NEVER WILL park in the garage and have their garages filled with crap preventing it. Even THOUGH in 90% or more of the HOAs such rule doesn't even EXIST.

And Legend Lakes if your truck is larger than 3/4 ton - it's classified "commercial".

You have to realize these driveways are SMALL and plenty of them do not even FIT A TRUCK.

Evidenced by all these photos I took within a short period of time doing my normal routine dog walking.

And as you can ALSO SEE, half of these people CANNOT BE BOTHERED EVEN PARKING RIGHT up close to their own garage door, and overhanging the walkway so you can't walk past their HOUSE without walking in the STREET. OR they have two vehicles parked BEHIND each other that DON'T fit the driveway either.

Did YOU spend $250,000 to have to walk IN THE STREET when you want to take a walk around your neighborhood? What if EVERY SINGLE HOUSE blocked the sidewalk? WHO do you let block it and who do you stop from that? What if people are trying to walk their DOGS? Are they supposed to walk in the street, too?

What about KIDS? Are THEY SUPPOSED TO GO IN THE STREET TOO?

Are there REALLY people who think blocking sidewalks is OK? YES.

Bylaws are created to prevent the EXTREMES of people disrespecting OTHERS - not to micromanage NORMAL PEOPLE.

I have very nice people who moved downstairs from me. They've been here a month and every single day park in a visitor spot because it's in front of their condo and too lazy to walk from their ASSIGNED SPOT 10 feet away next to MY assigned spot. So when I back OUT of my spot, I am inches away from their bumper, having to make an extra cut especially in the dark. NO REASON not to use their PARKING SPOT. And if they need a handicap permit, go GET ONE. I haven't mentioned it. YET.

What if EVERYONE refused to use their ASSIGNED SPOT and parked in the visitor spots? Where would visitors and workmen park?

Also, don't forget renters. Not only do they not get a vote or have an interest in the community, they usually don't even care. Like the tenants next door to me for the winter leaving ALL THEIR SHOES OUT IN THE ATRIUM where we have seating and MIGHT WANT TO SIT OUT. Without staring at your dirty shoe collection.

Ask anyone in an HOA and you'll find out THEY are the demographic who most thinks it's perfectly fine to push boundaries or even break rules then complain about the HOA.

What's AMAZING TO ME is that PARKING can become such a big deal. Simply because SOME PEOPLE think they are MORE IMPORTANT than others.

Then move to a community where you can park your truck in your driveway.

There are hundreds of them here, including 95% of all HOAs. AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON YOUR DRIVEWAY, NOT ENCROACHING ON THE PUBLIC SIDEWALK AND NOT HAVING TO PARK IN THE HOA CLUBHOUSE BECAUSE YOUR TRUCK IS TOO BIG. LIKE YOU DO NOW. It's not hard to do.

My suggestion is to STOP FOCUSING on ONE or TWO communities that doesn't want your BIG truck (and three vehicles) in the driveway (because it's the CHEAPEST HOA) and find one that doesn't care.
Wow! That's quite a rant, complete with all caps and bolded sections. I didn't ask about people blocking sidewalks or parking on their own driveways close to the street where there are no sidewalks as seen above (the horror). I didn't ask about shoes or kids. I simply asked why people care if any noncommercial vehicles are parked in driveways. Anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach