U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:08 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,451,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Although my actual mailing address is Palm City (west of Stuart) I live in unincorporated Martin County. I believe only Stuart is incorporated and possibly Indiantown.
The incorporated towns in Martin County are: Stuart, Sewalls Point, Ocean Breeze Park, and Jupiter Island.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 PM

36 posts, read 89,452 times
Hi there...here is some additional info on Palm City, Stuart, etc....The reasons you want to live here:

If you are a "mom" type with school aged children you will LOVE IT in Palm City (notice the capital lettters) People love Palm City, however, it's not for everyone....We have A+ schools, we are VERY family oriented, volunteer a lot at schools, enjoy youth sports/activities, quieter community of 20,000 or so. People move here just for the schools. It is more expensive to live in Palm City than Stuart, but worth it, especially if you have kids in elementary or middle school. We live in a gated community and walk right onto Palm City Elementary school property. FYI...Palm City Elementary is getting a brand new school which should be breaking ground soon. We also have a new elementary school which I believe is opening Fall 2008.

Another thing I love are all the unique little shops/ restaurants in this area as well as donwtown and the beaches. We even have three or four theatres for plays, jazz concerts and productions that are local.

Many people who live in Stuart want to be in Palm City, but cannot afford it. Palm City is definitely desireable with many different kinds of neighborhoods including waterfront, riverfront, canalfront, gated, golf, old/mature tree large homesites, equestrian, truly something for every personality!

Hobe Sound in my opinion is WAY TOO QUIET.....there is nothing happening there; although if you do like it, they have a nice beach and the area off of Gomez is most desireable unless you have $1million+ to be in one of the private gated communities of Loblolly, Medalist etc....

Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 AM

5 posts, read 14,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1111 View Post
My husband is considering a job with a former co-worker. The co-worker just moved from NH (where we are also - but not natives) to Palm City and loves it. The co-worker was senior to my hubby before and would be his boss again, and looking at Palm City (and knowing for sure how much more their house in NH was worth compared to ours) I think Stuart might be more in our price range.

But, having only ever been to Orlando, is Stuart a nice town? We have elementary age kids and a nice but not lavish lifestyle.

Thanks in advance!

Hi-
I, too am looking to move from dreary Massachusetts to sunny Stuart, Florida. I have decided on Stuart for 2 reasons. The schools are really great (and I have 2 boys ages 4 and 5). And the second reason is because it is a wonderful town. My best friend just up and moved there 3 weeks ago and she absolutely loves it! Her mother moved there years ago and wishes she found it sooner! Stuart is a nice town, with little crime.

Hope this helps! Maybe we will see you down there!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,924,591 times
How are the property taxes compared to further South (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade)?

Is Hurricane insurance required. Have heard it is very expensive.

THANKS

Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,013,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
How are the property taxes compared to further South (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade)?

Is Hurricane insurance required. Have heard it is very expensive.

THANKS
Property taxes vary depending on where you buy & what type of house (age, CBS or frame, etc.) As a whole I think taxes are cheaper than the southern counties, but again...it's a crap-shoot with a lot of variables.

As far as hurricane insurance, I don't think it's mandatory, but I wouldn't live here without it unless I was REALLY successful financially & able to rebuild with no problem...

The prices have come down since 2005 as there are more companies writing policies now. Cost again will depend on variables (proximity to water, age of house, type of construction, location, etc.

To give a for-instance, my house was built in 1999. I have CBS construction & all the "bells & whistles" as far as hurricane-proofing the house (accordion shutters on all doors & windows, extra poured concrete tie-beams, extra roof strapping etc). Total cost back then for the house & land was $189,000.00.

My insurance in 2003 was $900.00+ a year. After the 2004 multi-hit season it went to almost $4000.00. Now my insurance is $2100.00 & I'm going to get more credits off as I need to get an inspection for renewal & they do not count any safety features until this inspection is done.

My taxes run in the $2100.00 range total though I don't know what will happen with the new amendment being passed.

Hope this helps some & good luck!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post

My taxes run in the $2100.00 range total though I don't know what will happen with the new amendment being passed.

Hope this helps some & good luck!!!
I just read in the paper that they're talking about raising the millage rate (which we knew would happen), so even with the new law, taxes wouldn't change much.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:34 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,013,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I just read in the paper that they're talking about raising the millage rate (which we knew would happen), so even with the new law, taxes wouldn't change much.
I figured that too!! Last month I had a Martin Couty Inspesctor knock on the door. He was checking this area to see if any pre-existing homes had made "improvements" or "additions" the county wasn't aware of.

I'm quite comfortable with the amount of taxes I pay here. Especially for the services provided!!

Back in NY my taxes were almost double (back in 98/99 no less) & I didn't even have garbage pickup!! I had to go to 2 "dumps" weekly for "disposable" & "recycle" & then a 3rd if I had any "BIG" items like a refrigerator, etc.

The old place I lived in (I'm still friendly with the buyers) now has taxes over $8000.00!!

That's why I don't understand personally why everyone is saying Florida's taxes are so high...(now here come the retort posts....)

Old 03-06-2008, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,383 times
Default Moving to Stuart

Hi! We are also considering moving to Stuart. Well, I take that back; I am considering moving, but my husband isn't on board just yet, he he.

We went and visited; I loved the downtown, I thought the prices were reasonable, and loved the fact that there were so many beaches. I wouldn't have a problem finding a job since I work in the court system, but my husband works in construction (he has his own interior trim company), and he's worried about finding work down there.

The only other thing I would be concerned about is hurricanes, since Stuart is right on the beach. Also, I wasn't too crazy about the traffic around St Port Lucie and Fort Pierce, but we did go in January.

Anyway, I need to move to a warmer climate due to health reasons. We currently live in NC, and we have a nice climate most of the time, but I need it to be above 60 F all year round.

Any thoughts about some of the issues I've raised? I would love to hear what y'all think..

Old 03-06-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariannaj View Post
Hi! We are also considering moving to Stuart. Well, I take that back; I am considering moving, but my husband isn't on board just yet, he he.

We went and visited; I loved the downtown, I thought the prices were reasonable, and loved the fact that there were so many beaches. I wouldn't have a problem finding a job since I work in the court system,
I wouldn't count on that kind of job. There are severe budgetary restraints and the county is trying to get rid of employees, through attrition and early retirement.

Construction jobs are way down too. Guys I know in construction are having a difficult time.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:26 PM

11 posts, read 57,773 times
I live in Hobe Sound, and I love it here. The restaurants are all locally owned, the schools are great, and the beaches are beautiful. Martin Co. is pretty accessable to all of the main Florida attractions: Orlando, Miami, and the Gulf are only about 2-3 hours away. Winter can be a little tough traffic wise, but as previously mentioned, it's at bottleneck areas (US 1 and Kanner Hwy? Can I get an amen!). Hobe Sound is about 7 miles from I-95, but it is down a country road with a 55 mph speed limit. My wife commutes to WPB, and it takes about 45 mins. by the TPK. I'm pretty anti-Palm City, but if you prefer Country Club living, it is perfect. Jensen Beach is also really terrific, but getting to the interstate can be tough. Political party affiliation is pretty irrelevant, but local politics can be pretty intense-especially when it comes to slow growth issues. If it works out, I hope you enjoy it here as much as we do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach