Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 5,854 times

Advertisements

Oh wow... My sister and I were looking to relocate from Miami TO Vero Beach or either Port Saint Lucie with our children because crime and being required to be bilingual for every freaking job in the classifieds has blown out of proportions. However, concluding that people from Miami isn't favorable, guess we could cross Vero Beach off our list. Besides the cross-burning innuendo got me scared as I thought we were passed the 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 09:33 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskeshaone View Post
Oh wow... My sister and I were looking to relocate from Miami TO Vero Beach or either Port Saint Lucie with our children because crime and being required to be bilingual for every freaking job in the classifieds has blown out of proportions. However, concluding that people from Miami isn't favorable, guess we could cross Vero Beach off our list. Besides the cross-burning innuendo got me scared as I thought we were passed the 60's.
OK that makes no sense to me.

Some guy OP wanders into this forum and says dumb stuff so you cross Vero Beach off your list? LOL

Takes all kinds.

Even people like you who want to escape Miami getting offended for me stating people want to escape Miami and come here.

YOU:

Quote:
to relocate from Miami TO Vero Beach or either Port Saint Lucie with our children because crime and being required to be bilingual for every freaking job in the classifieds has blown out of proportions.
ME:

Quote:
OR even families who are trying to escape their urban centers moving up here from, say, Miami.
Did you offend yourself? LOL

You're the one who said you want to escape Miami for CRIME and BILINGUALISM.

I simply said "to escape their urban centers" - which is applicable to YOU.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 6,665 times
Default Noooo

If looking for a job, absolutely look elsewhere. This is a retirement town, growth is not to be found here. I moved down here a year ago with a great background, education etc and found it impossible to find work in Vero. $9 seems to be the average per hour pay, non salaried positions.
Nice town, but remember it caters to retirees and snowbirds. Goodluck

Old 12-02-2015, 08:50 AM

194 posts, read 400,790 times
I was in Vero Beach in January. Brand new movies were only 5 bucks! I pay more than twice that in the DC metropolitan area.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergraham99 View Post
If looking for a job, absolutely look elsewhere. This is a retirement town, growth is not to be found here. I moved down here a year ago with a great background, education etc and found it impossible to find work in Vero. $9 seems to be the average per hour pay, non salaried positions.
Nice town, but remember it caters to retirees and snowbirds. Goodluck
You picked up and moved here SIGHT UNSEEN to Vero Beach from Michigan. I would assume if you were so highly qualified for employment there was a job for you somewhere in Michigan or between MI and Vero Beach Florida. In fact, Jacksonville is FULL of corporate relocations.

Why do people ASSUME our TOURIST coastal small beach city should be something it's not.

BTW our TOURIST receipts are up 20% year over year. They're not all "retirees and snowbirds".

You can't even go in a Target or Walmart without kids all over the place.

The Home Depot parking lot is completely FULL every morning.

HOUSING is booming again.

All of our schools are being expanded.

They're building a $10 Million dollar recreational center. That's not for "retirees".

The last census had 17.5% under age 18 compared to 20.4% for the state.

Would you just pick up and move to say, MONTANA or KANSAS or somewhere else with no job?

Never a smart idea.

For some reason people assume Palm Trees and beaches in Florida make everything different than elsewhere.

I'm a dog walker and make over $23,000 per year for ONE CLIENT and I have had at least one or two like that for YEARS. I had another one for $28K per year for 3 years straight. In addition to hundreds of others, concurrently. I do THOUSANDS of jobs per year.

IT's not complicated. If you don't have skill sets that match a particular area move elsewhere. But even in Jacksonville i had as much work as I wanted. First with the phone company at around 75-100K per year then with my dog walking company I could do up to 24 jobs per day if I wanted to. Do the math - it's around 500.00 per day at that volume.

I also work for people who TRAVEL all over the country for their corporate jobs. Yes our senior population is greater than the state average but so what? They have money and pay for goods and services. We also have extensive services for people with a lower income and families.

And yes the services for seniors is expanding greatly because people want to age in place and stay here instead of moving elsewhere near "family". So Independent, Assisted and Skilled facilities are being build. More jobs. Maybe not your job match but you should have researched that before uprooting yourself.

NOBODY should move here or anywhere if they don't have employment or a 3 years savings to live off of.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 12-02-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-14-2015, 08:04 PM

12 posts, read 17,287 times
I am coming down to visit from Melbourne to Vero Beach area in a couple of months and then moving back to FL in the late Spring. Currently in MI burrr. I lived in Jax before but too cold.
I don't know really much about Vero Beach but saw houses for 50-80,000 by the West Vero Corridor east of 95 are these safe areas? I will be looking for a house somewhere around 150,000 for myself but want to help my daughter find an inexpensive house as well. Sounds like Vero is pretty safe.
Also, I am a 22 yr critical care nurse, any thoughts on which way I should look for a job, e.g. best pay and happy nurses?
Oh! lastly, are dogs allowed at the beach anywhere around there. I love to walk my dogs by the ocean and always pick up after them.
Thanks a million for this forum...ya'all are priceless!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyshai3 View Post
I am coming down to visit from Melbourne to Vero Beach area in a couple of months and then moving back to FL in the late Spring. Currently in MI burrr. I lived in Jax before but too cold.
I don't know really much about Vero Beach but saw houses for 50-80,000 by the West Vero Corridor east of 95 are these safe areas? I will be looking for a house somewhere around 150,000 for myself but want to help my daughter find an inexpensive house as well. Sounds like Vero is pretty safe.
Also, I am a 22 yr critical care nurse, any thoughts on which way I should look for a job, e.g. best pay and happy nurses?
Oh! lastly, are dogs allowed at the beach anywhere around there. I love to walk my dogs by the ocean and always pick up after them.
Thanks a million for this forum...ya'all are priceless!
50-80K I'm not sure if still exist for single house but search Trulia. I am on my way out the door for work. Yes it's safe there. There are a couple of cute old school single house streets (West something...Westgate maybe?) in that corridor and PLENTY of variety of other communities.

Yeah I lived in Jax in The Strand. Loved the people but it's too cold. I was wearing Philly snow gear on 6am dog walks in 20 something degrees some days. But it's still nicer than up north.

I was told there IS a dog beach lately but I don't believe the person that told me LOL.

Nursing I was told by a charge nurse/Director of Nursing RN in an ALF that the hospitals pay better but the quality of life is better in private facilities like ALFS. An ALF CNA for example makes 10-12 per hour and gets meals where I worked - don't know about benefits. They also use them when the resident gets sent to the hosp as private. OR if the family wants to pay private for extra care.

I believe that RN because I know her well and she has vast experience including being a psych nurse in prison LOL. She got a Director title from the ALF that made it worth her while to take a pay cut. That prison job probably pays the BEST!

She was clinically excellent knowing EXACTLY what meds these dementia and senior patients needed and worked with their private docs very closely who were basically clueless because dementia and seniors are such good actors.

Also loved her job so we do have some great medical people here but it's challenging like everywhere.

It really depends on your personality. I've gotten LOTS of experience in this even as a dog walker (LOL) because of my relationships with my clients. Been with my clients in all types of settings. ER (horrible in Vero but I heard Sebastion is ok), ALF, Memory Care, Skilled, etc.

Once my client went to the ER after a geriatric fall with dementia and had head pain. They put the BIG collar on her (90 years old) and when she got admitted I TOLD THEM she for SURE was going to have a UTI and start fluids and get ready to admit her because she'd be dehydrated etc.

Don't need a Magic Eight Ball to predict that if you know dementia.

They left her for HOURS laying there in that GD collar, doing NOTHING until I finally just had to go through the Advocate. There were only 4 people in the entire ER!!! It was 10 PM.

Try and keep a dementia pt calm on an ER bed with the collar LOL.

So anyway, tons of fights like sending me a MALE nurse to cath her and arguing with me that he's just as "CAPABLE" regardless of her wishes and threatening to kick me out LOL yeah try it.

Bottom line, yeah, the charge Resident came in and high fived me and said they should have listened to me to begin with because I definitely knew my client haha. Admitted her for 3 days on IV A/B & fluids of course.

Her dog stayed in the ALF alone for the three days with me doing her normal visits. She was 20! The ALF was so cute doing rounds on the dog and charting HER! Because they knew what her health issues were, meds I had her on and stuff. To have a dog in ALF or other facility you MUST be able to take care of them yourself or pay private they are not permitted to handle the pet's needs.

So yeah, in most facilities it's 50-50 meaning it all depends on who's in charge at any given period of time in my experience. And like everywhere else, who you're working with. Like anywhere else we have some PRICELESS caregivers and some others who are really just incompetent or disinterested in REALLY doing a good job. Also HARD HEADED. You can tell them something 100 times and they won't do it. Especially with seniors or dementia they are CLUELESS really. Like fighting with the pt even when you EXPLAIN AND TEACH them how to finesse them etc.

Some seem good then it seems like all hell breaks loose in the place and things get nuts. I really think it's a management issue - quality issue.

My experience is that if you have the skills and temperament, hospice would be more rewarding. But obviously that's a specialty and quick burnout. It's an agency job. I think even the big hospice care place is run by an agency not the hospital it's next to.

One of my clients is a Hospice RN supervisor and happened to get assigned that same patient later when we transferred her to Memory Care/Hospice.

I got her a caregiver CNA private who told me my RN client converted all my hospice client's meds to the topical ones...something that NOBODY ELSE thought of all those years she fought meds. Of course it's ILLEGAL to trick someone in an ALF that way so that was a limitation but we (the family and I) probably could have figured something out. But there are rules about who does meds when they're in a facility with medical care and you can't just have any old person doing stuff. Even THOUGH they break the rules and law and CHART in advance that the people TOOK THEM even when they didn't and they just leave them sitting out and leave the room and TRUST THE PT! DUH!

They are expanding senior care facilities here, lots of money in the resident population with growing shortage of places.

Judging from what I've heard you'd like Sebastian Hospital better.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 12-16-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 12-16-2015, 12:58 PM

12 posts, read 17,287 times
Thank you, that was a lot of info. I will have more questions about the areas later if you don't mind.
I have a realtor sending me info. He said don't consider Ft Pierce. So, I am wondering where should I consider between Palm Bay and Vero Beach? I am pretty open all along that stretch. It seems like I could work anywhere between Melbourne and West Palm.
Thanks again.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyshai3 View Post
Thank you, that was a lot of info. I will have more questions about the areas later if you don't mind.
I have a realtor sending me info. He said don't consider Ft Pierce. So, I am wondering where should I consider between Palm Bay and Vero Beach? I am pretty open all along that stretch. It seems like I could work anywhere between Melbourne and West Palm.
Thanks again.
Your welcome!

I know a CNA who commutes from Palm Bay to North Vero. Near the hospital. She is from this area and worked here for years. She doesn't mind it but she is very excited because she bought her first house up in Palm Bay and has two kids. So you tend to blow it off at first LOL.

It's under an hour - maybe 45 minutes depending...so I did that my whole life when I was corporate so yeah...

WPB is a bad commute and at least 1.5 hours. It gets NUTS the closer you get especially around PGA. You may want to get the JOB FIRST then decide.

You DO have to factor in the specific addresses though. You CAN spend 20 minutes getting just ON I-95 from many parts of Vero Beach but if you google map it - it won't show up that way without specific addresses.

It takes me 20 minutes from my house to I-95 to go North. If I'm going south I'll go a different way, like down Rt 1.

So West Vero Corridor is a good choice where you're only maybe 5-10 minutes from I-95 if you need that highway.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:10 PM

769 posts, read 830,429 times
Lots of old people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach