Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 06:39 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,113,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post

The commission also wants a 1 percent sales tax increase, from 6.5 percent to 7.5 percent.
Interesting that the media reports a 4% property tax increase as 17-18% but reports a 15% sales tax increase as 1%. Give the readers what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 10:30 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,405,776 times
what is the average property tax down there? Lets say a four bedroom house in a 80x100 plot that is 2,300 square feet.

What is average for a 1,200 sq foot two bedroom condo?

Old 07-24-2015, 12:24 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,288,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
what is the average property tax down there? Lets say a four bedroom house in a 80x100 plot that is 2,300 square feet.

What is average for a 1,200 sq foot two bedroom condo?
There's way to many factors to figure the average tax bill in St Lucie County..try looking around this website
Saint Lucie County Property Appraiser's Virtual Office

Old 07-24-2015, 01:32 PM

194 posts, read 424,022 times
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Yet another small hike is no big deal? Well all those little increases overthe years have pushed St. Lucie to the 3rd highest millagerate in the state as noted earlier in this forum. With this increase maybe wecan go to number one, what a great feather in our cap that would be that wecan proudly tell everyone that we have the highest property tax rates in thestate and for what? The property taxes and impact fees collected when the real estatemarket was on fire was turned into a series of incredibly bad decisionsthat we must all pay for. Literally, the paint was not dry on the Digital Domain building and it went belly up. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]What is the average tax on a home, it is relatively simple to determine.[/SIZE][SIZE=3] I just went to the PropertyAppraisers website and put in a purchase price of $250,000 for a home. Propertytaxes would be $4,200 on the low side using a homestead exemption up to $6,300without it and these numbers DO NOT include the proposed increasesOR non-ad-valorem taxes (another $300 to 1k per year) and in the case of Tradition yet about another $1k for the CDD. This county is about affordability so it isany wonder why new construction is so pathetic. New constructionshould be taking off in this county as a reasonable alternative to the pricingto the south but it is not. Why, high impact fees, highproperty taxes and in places like Tradition add the CDD in and you have areally good place to start why. The last thing St. Lucie needs isa property tax increase of any kind. [/SIZE]Tighten the belt.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:23 PM

228 posts, read 245,262 times
I tend to be on the, prove you can make smart decisions and spend less before you take more money from me side of the house. I pay my property taxes in OK, but if I decide on Port St lucie I will use my exemption to dodge them(one of the reason we are choosing florida). Here I see where my property taxes go, the schools are above average, the intersections and snow routes are cleared during ice/snow storms (the roads are still crap though), the city I live in is growing and reinvesting in itself leaps and bounds, tornado/major storm damage recovery and even city/county provided support is well beyond what fema does when it eventually gets here etc. I do not see this for PSL, I am not bashing it as all I see as an outsider is the "bad news", my wife looks forward to the botanical gardens and the many parks, the events in fort pierce etc. My original post was only to start a discussion, not bash nor defend the increase btw.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:34 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,322,001 times
New construction is relatively expensive and not going to take off until the inventory of homes depletes and prices rise to catch up with the cost of building new. Has nothing to do with taxes.

Traditions has a myriad of issues. Taxes are the least of them.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
New construction is relatively expensive and not going to take off until the inventory of homes depletes and prices rise to catch up with the cost of building new. Has nothing to do with taxes.

Traditions has a myriad of issues. Taxes are the least of them.
Not an argument, but when a death is caused by a thousand cuts, is it the first or the last that is the killing blow?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,405,776 times
PSL has dirt cheap taxes compared to some parts of country

Old 07-28-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
PSL has dirt cheap taxes compared to some parts of country
Yup, but almost tops in the state of Florida. even the Liberals of New York have found that strategic lowering or zero outing of taxes in some situations is beneficial to growth be it business or property or income. While High(er) taxes maintain a status quo while a slow decline takes place as other areas attract residents and businesses.

I understand some coming from northern states see that its lower taxes, whereas My property taxes on a small 10 acre hobby farm (yes also filed schedule f), with a 1600 Sq ft steel barn with plumbing/electric and HVAC, a 2300 Sq Ft Home in the states capital county (one of the highest in the state) are less than a 4 bedroom ranch in the torino area of PSL. (that is gross taxes before any exemptions etc)

Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM

361 posts, read 744,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinsham30 View Post
Yup, but almost tops in the state of Florida. even the Liberals of New York have found that strategic lowering or zero outing of taxes in some situations is beneficial to growth be it business or property or income. While High(er) taxes maintain a status quo while a slow decline takes place as other areas attract residents and businesses.

I understand some coming from northern states see that its lower taxes, whereas My property taxes on a small 10 acre hobby farm (yes also filed schedule f), with a 1600 Sq ft steel barn with plumbing/electric and HVAC, a 2300 Sq Ft Home in the states capital county (one of the highest in the state) are less than a 4 bedroom ranch in the torino area of PSL. (that is gross taxes before any exemptions etc)
FL also does not have a state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach