Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 06:20 AM

217 posts, read 371,883 times

Advertisements

I have a nice long list of Florida native larval and nectar plants specifically for feeding the Monarch butterfly and its caterpillars, but I'm not able to find many of them. I went to a nursery in Palm City but apparently I didn't make it clear enough that I wanted only plants for the Monarch and went home with and planted several plants that were indeed for butterflies but not for Monarchs.

I know of a place in Boca where one can send away for seeds for Monarch-friendly plants, and I will do that, but I'd like to get a few more plants in the ground now if I could. Anyone?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 06:24 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
Thisthelewood or something like that is the plant for the Monarch. Look for them in smaller plant stores, for the big ones don't carry them.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:40 AM

693 posts, read 704,693 times
Try Ric's in Fort Pierce. I would call and ask them first.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:01 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Do your research thoroughly & ahead of time perhaps via the internet or the phone so that you have some ideas before you venture out & do a lot of leg work in visiting more nurseries.
I bought 4 milkweed plants of 2 different varieties from a local nursery in my area. They were specifically intended to attract the monarchs & I planted them all near my row of butterfly bushes.
Turns out that 2 of them grew really tall & were gangly & constantly suffered from massive aphid infestations. I eventually removed those 2 tall plants because they were so terribly unsightly & seemed to be unhealthy.
The other 2 milkweeds I bought were of a different variety & in contrast grew very low to the ground & actually bloomed while suffering no attack from aphids.
I've yet to see any sign of monarchs on or around them & only last week saw my first monarch of the season. It was floating on and around my butterfly bushes. Being such a rare & thus bittersweet occasion, I called my friend out of the house to take in the now incredibly rare sight of a monarch.
Best of luck to you in your own efforts to atract & nourish the monarch!

Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 AM

>Thisthelewood or something like that is the plant for the Monarch. Look for them in smaller plant stores, for the big ones don't carry them.

Perhaps you mean milkweed? Actually, Home Depot and Lowe's both sell a type of milkweed, but for $25 for a 1 gal. plant!!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:18 AM

472 posts, read 668,106 times
Try online nursery rain tree nursery. They have good selection and good service. I bought some fruit trees from them and all grew well.

Fruit Trees, Berries, Nuts, Ornamentals, Raintree Nursery

Old 09-14-2015, 12:23 PM

135 posts, read 207,612 times
My daughter ordered Milkweeds on contribution to the organization Live Monarch in Boca Raton. They determine the best milkweeds for you based on where you live. Their website is LiveMonarch.com.
A word of warning...lowes and Home Depot have butterfly garden areas, but you have to be careful as many of the plants they carry are treated with Neonicotinoids

Old 09-17-2015, 02:52 PM

[quote=PLBR;41198452]My daughter ordered Milkweeds on contribution to the organization Live Monarch in Boca Raton.

Thanks. I found them a couple of weeks ago and 20 live plants just arrived yesterday! Awaiting these deluges to stop before I plant them.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,206 times
This year Home Depot had lots and lots of Milkweed in addition to Pentas, Lantana and the more usual assortment of butterfly plants. The milkweeds were in nice larger containers and most had three or more "weeds" growing so I was able to separate mine and spread them throughout our yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach