Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 32,773 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any new information on the new school out in Tradition? I understand that it has to meet the demographics, and that it is not considered to be in any zone. Does anyone know if we are being to give any preference at all for living 30 seconds away? Are there any Tradition residents that are starting to get together to form any type of action? The rumors are running rampant, any concrete info out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 PM

7 posts, read 18,129 times
I do not know of any "action" being taken, as the entire school district is a "choice" school zoning system. You may not necessarily get into the school you live less than a mile from (as my child is proof of), that is something that should be taken up with the board. In addition, it does not have to follow a lot of guidelines as other schools, as this is a charter lab school, and being done in conjunction with FAU. The student body will be determined by a lottery drawing of current applicants (deadline was in Jan, I believe to apply for next year) in March. School opens this Fall, and is supposed to be phenomenal. The ability to go across "boundaries" to attend this school is the same philosophy as magnet schools. There are not many, if any..so it is opened to entire disctrict.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 PM

10 posts, read 40,890 times
Default Tradition School

My son filled out an application and was accepted into Kindergarten and I am very excited. This school was never intended for the residents of Tradition and was always intended to be open county wide. You can apply for this school on their website every school year.

The county just bought the land and is working with FAU... I dont understand why the residents of Tradition are getting so upset. Any school built there would have been either open county wide or zoned.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:21 AM

Default Tradition charter lab school

I know I am upset, because it is 60 Feet from my front door! ANYONE does not matter whether you live in TRADITION or Magnolia Lakes would be upset. If you can walk out your front door, walk 60 feet to the left, and bump in to a school your child SHOULD be given first preference!!!! This special school actually should have been located in a more Central location, given the fact that it is going to be countywide. And 2nd of all.... when we bought into our neighborhood, WE WERE TOLD THAT THERE WAS GOING TO BE A SCHOOL HERE!!! Not a Charter/Lab School.... We were all under the impression that it would be a two mile preference school/sibling preference school. Get over the people in Tradition thing, plz..... Enough already!!!!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:41 AM

I am not upset with the people of Tradition. I love tradition, My mother in law lives in the Divosta houses! We practically live there.... I just hate the ones who make it seem like complete terrible people are going to trash their savory neighborhood! The ones who think even the Publix is off limits to those who do not live there. This is PSL, country living in FL... not Palm Beach and those people should move to Jupiter Island where you cant even shop in their stores unless you live there. I have a nice house, make good money and moved here before Tradition was built or I would be living there too. Dont hate me because I simply filled out an application for a public county wide open school and got in. There were 3 people in my son's pre-k class that got in and I know several people from Tradition who got in

I also live within a 1/4 mile of 2 schools, but because of the crazy school zones, my son may have not gone to the ones close to me,

I am sorry you were misinformed about the school, the 2 mile radius thing is about busing... if you live under a certain no. miles from your school there is no bus, you have to walk.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,396 times
Tradition residents pay additional tax (~$1000 per year) and Tradition maintenance fee (~?$monthly). They put the school in Tradition to attract people buy in the neighborhood. They shouldn’t try to mislead Tradition residents. I am sorry I usually don’t care this kind of thing. But this school thing is so wrong. I think Tradition residents should be given preference. Or they should move the school to somewhere else. Why should Tradition residents pay to maintain the landscape/road around the school?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Default Regarding Fees and taxes

The statements about the fees and taxes are incorrect. Each subdivision pays maintenance fees (HOA fees) to maintain their development only, it doesnt go to maintaing the school. The extra taxes community development taxes and are used for road development (the exit at Gatlin and access roads for your community) and cover expense the city incurs when a new area is built. FAU and all taxpayers of St Lucie County help fund the school and maintain the school.

If you would like to have serious discussion or debate regarding the merrits of the school, then I would suggest you do some research on the subject rather than passing off your uninformed opinion as fact.

Please rest assured, I looked up this information before posting and made sure I had the facts.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhdgrl74 View Post
The statements about the fees and taxes are incorrect. Each subdivision pays maintenance fees (HOA fees) to maintain their development only, it doesnt go to maintaing the school. The extra taxes community development taxes and are used for road development (the exit at Gatlin and access roads for your community) and cover expense the city incurs when a new area is built. FAU and all taxpayers of St Lucie County help fund the school and maintain the school.

If you would like to have serious discussion or debate regarding the merrits of the school, then I would suggest you do some research on the subject rather than passing off your uninformed opinion as fact.

Please rest assured, I looked up this information before posting and made sure I had the facts.
So the school bus won't use the exit at Gatlin? I didn't say school specifically. I say the road and landscape around the school!!! Yes. FAU and taxpayers of the whole county help fund the school. But they don't pay additional tax!!! And the Tradition developer does use the school to attract the buyer(I was told the story at the welcome center). In addition, we do pay an additional monthly fee to Tradition. I don't mind to pay all these fees but I don't like to be lied to. If you would like to have serious discussion, by all means, bring it on and please lay down all the numbers.

Well, I don't have children and don't care about the schools in this area. But in all fairness, if Tradition residents pay additional tax and monthly fee to maintain the town and road around the school, they should be given preference. If they don't pay these additional fee, they should be treated the same. This is just my opinion, no matter you like it or not.

Last edited by LingLing; 06-08-2008 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 PM

You are certainly allowed your opinion and I am not going to debate the taxes and fees because you dont care since you dont have kids.

The FAU school could have given preference to Tradition but the outcome would most likely be the same.

The whole point of the school is to take kids from different backgrounds, economically, racially, gender, and try different teaching techniques with them to see how the student benefit. There is not enough diversity in Tradition! Even if they reviewed every child's application from Tradition before the rest of the county, I bet the outcome would be the same. Most people in Tradition are white upper middle to upper class people. They can only let a few from that category into the school to keep the demographics equal. And would still have to choose kids from all parts of the county to make up the rest of the classes. Therefore, to make it fair to all, they decided to use an open application process and lottery drawing.

There are my facts and opinions!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Default Tradition School

Ling Ling, you will not win this!!! I walk out my front door, walk one house to the right, and there is the school. You must understand that we live in Tradition. Our opinion does not count. If we lived somewhere else, it would count. Forget the tax issue for one minute. I have a five year old that does not understand demographics! He still thinks he is going to the school ONE house away. It is easy to say, "those Tradition people", but we know that the only reason why this school is here, is because of "Us Tradition" people. Red headed girl... please stop being so ignorant! Has anyone given you attitude? Be real... stop dreaming up BS!!! They should have put this school in the middle of the county, and put a regular school here, like Westgate or Oak Hammock. It would have better served the needs of St. Lucie County if it was located in the middle of the County, end of story. Personally, my husband and I have EXCELLENT jobs, we are both University educated, by choice!!! I am happy with the choices we have made for our family, to better our lives. I am not a "hater" because you got into the Palm Pointe Research School. My children will get a good education where ever they go. I know I have a great life..... So, do not you worry your pretty little red head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach