Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 03:10 PM

14 posts, read 25,891 times

Advertisements

I just turned 30 this year and am looking to finally move out of Broward County. I was born and raised here and I don't like the population density anymore and am looking for a smaller city. My uncle lives in Fellsmere and has toured me around the area of Sebastian and I really like it. I'm am now house hunting in Sebastian and/or Vero Lake Estates. Is there anything I need to know coming from Broward to Indian River? I'm not too worried about the job market as I can telecommute with my current job. Basically, I just want to know a little bit more about Sebastian and surrounding areas and what the pros and cons are compared to Broward County (Coral Springs Area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 04:02 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
Everything you'll need is either on Route 1, or the 512.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Everything you'll need is either on Route 1, or the 512.
Yeah I pretty much figured that out the first time I visited. lol.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:06 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
This might sound crazy to you, but if you are very sensitive to sound, it will be helpful to know there's a train that runs along that route. (but I'm sure you already know this!) Many people get used to it or don't notice it at all, but it bothered me when I stayed in Vero Beach. It really depends on how close you are to the tracks.

Sebastian has beautiful beaches. I hope they're as clean and safe as they were when I lived in Vero Beach in 2009. What I liked about that area vs SW Florida was the abundance of public parking with beach access. I don't know if that's changed in 6 years, but Indian River County did a fine job of maintaining its beaches.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:02 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
The train route is not far (parallel) from Route 1, the further West from it, the less noise pollution.

The train (All Aboard Florida) was the main reason I moved from Sebastian.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Sebastian is laid back, unhurried,and quiet. It's also affordable and close to almost anything you'd want. If you're at least a mile from the tracks, the train isn't an issue. You wouldn't even know it exists in VLE. If you want a typical suburban community stick with Sebastian. If you want a bigger lot and don't mind dirt roads, VLE is a bargain. If you want rural acreage, check out Fellsmere. PS Fellsmere is the only "city" west of 95 in Indian River County and it's only 10.5 miles from the beach as the crow flies.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:03 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
House hunting to rent or buy? I usually recommend renting first unless you know exactly what you want and each neighborhood, which, maybe you do.

I'm very familiar with Coral Springs and lived in Tamarac and Ft Lauderdale all my life part time. (and WPB and Tequesta)

I was going to relo to Ft Lauderdale from Philly but ended up not doing it, took Jacksonville instead but had a condo here because I had moved to Vero Beach waiting for my company to get it's act together on the relo LOL. I even lost $2700 deposit on a rental scam in Hollywood on the beach, (when I thought I was going to take Ft Lauderdale office)....which is how I ended up working my way up here I was so mad. It was during the crash and real estate was a nightmare everywhere.

I even looked at Coral Springs but nothing was available and I wanted to be closer to Commercial Blvd at Rt 1 where my office would have been.

I still love some aspects of Broward/Ft Lauderdale but as you note, it's night and day in terms of density and I'll add...the people. It's much more gentle here.

The best part is your breezy drive to the beach which never takes long at all from Sebastian or Vero. I can't say from Fellsmere but how bad can it be compared to Coral Springs LOL.

It would appear there's "more to do" in Ft Lauderdale but I'd say that's a personal preference type of thing. My son is your age and moved out of Lauderdale to WPB because he was bored down there and thought WPB was more suited to his personal interests, more like a livable city. He did so when he was able to telecommute, too. Then he moved back to Philly because even after 10 years here full time, he was definitely a more big city person at heart and all his friends were still up there.

So if you know yourself, and think you can make new friends here where we have about 30% people over 65 compared to 15% in Broward, it shouldn't be a big adjustment and very calming. That doesn't bother me at all because it's a stabilizing factor, IMO. There are still tons of kids and other people all over the place.

And yes, I'm one of the persons who doesn't hear the train anymore and I live a stone's throw away on Rt 1. IN CASE All Aboard Florida DOES go through, you'll have time to decide on that if you ever want to buy a house instead of rent because it will definitely impact quality of life in Indian River, in Vero Beach, at least during the construction phase which is sure to be a nightmare since everyone has to cross the railroad tracks if they want to go to the beach or the HOSPITAL or vice versa - to West to say, from the beach to Rt 1 or the mall. (mall meaning where tons of the shopping happens to be)

They don't mind it so much down South because the tracks/crossings say, in WPB are not such a big factor like they are here in Vero. And perhaps not such a big deal up in Sebastian or Fellsmere either.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:37 AM

Definitely looking to buy. Was born and raised in Sunrise and have lived in Davie, Oakland Park and now Tamarac. Definitely want to get away from the people, traffic, noise, crime, etc. Love the small town feel of Sebastian.

I've done pretty much everything that I wanted to do in my teens and 20s in Broward County and now just want to settle somewhere quiet and less populated. Sebastian sounds perfect as the weather is a bit cooler than down south but still warm year round. I live as far west as you can go in Northern Broward County so a trip to the beach is at least a 40-45 minute drive with traffic.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:38 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSab View Post
Definitely looking to buy. Was born and raised in Sunrise and have lived in Davie, Oakland Park and now Tamarac. Definitely want to get away from the people, traffic, noise, crime, etc. Love the small town feel of Sebastian.

I've done pretty much everything that I wanted to do in my teens and 20s in Broward County and now just want to settle somewhere quiet and less populated. Sebastian sounds perfect as the weather is a bit cooler than down south but still warm year round. I live as far west as you can go in Northern Broward County so a trip to the beach is at least a 40-45 minute drive with traffic.
I know right? OMG you can get stuck even on Rt 1 by the AT&T office by Coral Ridge at one light for easily 10 minutes! That's why I wanted to live right there at work by Port Royale Apts. But I ended up taking Jax.

I loved Tamarac at University by the Publix - all those little Mainlands communities around 2004 but then the crash happened.

I haven't been back since around 2007 to see if it ever stabilized. But yeah, you'll love it here. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2016, 07:22 AM

Default All Aboard Florida

Any updates on All Aboard Florida passing? That would suck to have an additional 32 trains running through Sebastian essentially cutting off a lot of people from the eastern half. It would be annoying to have to wait for a train every time I wanted to go to the beach or a bar on Rt 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach