Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 11:41 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

DH and I were offered a home exchange in VB for a week in March. Large house right on the river and we've invited his sisters to fly in and join us. Ages range from 59-73. We will be driving from Raleigh, NC.

Two of the group have had knee replacement, so we're not looking for suoer athletic activities or long hikes. We enjoy food (especially ethnic), age appropriate bars, boat rides, maybe kayaking. DH and I might do a fishing trip if the price was reasonable. Happy hours and wine bars always appeal. If there are interesting downtown areas, we'd do a little shopping. Nature appeals to all of us, but remember the limited walking issues.

Also looking for restaurants and a seafood market where we can buy fresh local fish and shrimp.

Thanks for helping out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:57 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,796,340 times
We don't travel up to VB often enough to add much, but there is the Vero Outlet mall. Definitely check out Grind & Grape. Very cool place! Also, you need to stop in Countryside Citrus for some ice cream. Amazing stuff! Al's Family Farms by I-95 is a great place to tour and experience what an orange grower goes thru to ship our Indian River District citrus out into the world. Costa D' Este is the hotel owned by Gloria Estefan and has decent restaurant and spa services.

I think you will enjoy your time, no matter how you decide to spend it!

Old 02-24-2016, 10:41 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
There are lots of fun and fine dining in Vero. Check out trip advisor. We are just moving to this area - a pleasant surprise is a French bakery.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:09 AM

Forgive me for bumping, but I'm surprised at the lack of responses - especially for restaurant recommendations. In the past, I've not found TripAdvisor to be a particularly good source for restaurants, probably because 95% if the reviews are from happy cacatiiners who dine at that restaurant one singke time. And yes, I've looked at Yelp, but in my experience, sone of the BEST information comes from CD.

I'm hoping for more replies to my original query?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:27 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Forgive me for bumping, but I'm surprised at the lack of responses - especially for restaurant recommendations. In the past, I've not found TripAdvisor to be a particularly good source for restaurants, probably because 95% if the reviews are from happy cacatiiners who dine at that restaurant one singke time. And yes, I've looked at Yelp, but in my experience, sone of the BEST information comes from CD.

I'm hoping for more replies to my original query?
When we are shopping down there we usually just eat at the Cracker Barrel or TG Fridays so don't really know any great places to eat.

We like the Hurricane Inn down at the Fort Pierce Inlet park area, though. They have a good fish sandwich.

Last edited by Rabflmom; 02-28-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 02-29-2016, 07:25 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
OK sorry I don't eat out much but my dog walking clients all tell me about places and I've been to a few with them. I'm also picky especially about overseasoning. LOL My clients are foodies and some lived here a long time. I can't stand a place with an odor, or not clean or annoying HA.

Some snowbirds will HAVE TO GO to certain places the minute they arrive they're so devoted. Like to BOBBY'S.

SEARCH this forum - there have been discussions here on restaurants and A LOT to do. Click on ADVANCED SEARCH. You can also scan my previous posts here.

Like Captain Bob's Airboat Tours

PELICAN ISLAND NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE the Nation's first National Wildlife Refuge

Pelican Island

The Trip Advisor ratings are actually accurate.

A client just raved about Avanzare on 14th as Italian American. She said she's addicted.

I've been to:

CJ Cannons at the airport VERY cute on the runway. The whole place is plane memorabilia. My food was always good. Kind of old school like you get strawberry shortcake on a biscuit not cake. (LOL) Some regional stuff like fried green tomatoes. But a BIG menu. VERY GOOD WAIT STAFF. My client's DOG pic is over the register with a REAL FAA pilot's license hahaha. Height 14 inches WEIGHT 12 lbs. A LOT of pilots live here and also hang out there.

Also Bobby's. At the beach. Very good. Steak house sorta. They also have good fish. My client adores one of the items I think it's the grouper ? GOOD WAIT STAFF. CROWDED - SUPER POPULAR IN TOURIST SEASON. BUT GREAT SERVICE AND FAST.

Also Lemon Tree. At the beach very casual.

Sandwiches - EXCELLENT The Red Onion across from hospital. I think there's one on the beach. I am ADDICTED to the asparagus sandwich no sauce! It's AWESOME.

The Tides very popular.

I had a good Reuben at Riverside Cafe.

I think I had decent scampi at the Scampi Grill but it may have been loud or something? I forget. But it's POPULAR.

Jewish Deli type - Too Jay's at Miracle Mile. Always good when I went.

Also popular is Mrs. Mac's Fillin' Station - most people rave about it for breakfast (?) Weird spot on Old Dixie Highway. Kitchy theme.

Alot of people like Mulligans and Ocean Grill. I had eggs at Mulligans and they were NOT cooked properly and the toast AND potatoes were awful so I'd pass on that. But try the Ocean Grill. POPULAR. But maybe b/c it's on the beach with outdoor seating.

I DID hear a chef who works there explaining to a guy how to cook a steak and he was EXACTLY PERFECT in his explanation hahaha. In a gas station.

I get fresh fish literally out of a BUCKET at Judah & Sons in Sebastian. I love them - old school shanty on the river with the fisherman pulling up in their boats. (of course they have a cold walk in, too, not just buckets LOL. They will prepare any way you want to take home.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net...BY%20JUDAH.jpg

For FUN-ish tourist atmosphere Captain Hiram's in Sebastian Tiki Bar type on the river with live music but I don't recall the food being anything that special. I may be wrong, though.

Vero Beach is becoming a BIG restaurant town the last few years!

There are a couple new type wine "tasting" type places and vineyards or two but I know nothing about it. Google it.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-29-2016 at 07:54 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 08:29 AM

Thank you for the great information, RunwithSizzors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach