Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:14 AM

361 posts, read 749,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Ok so I do this for a living so I do know what I am talking about. All of your phone lines converge at a central place somewhere in your house. They are all interconnected and there is a line that runs from that location out to the phone box outside of your house. All you have to do is find that central location, run a cat 5 cable from that location to your cable modem and you have a connection to that point. Next you get toning equipment (about $85 on the internet) and tone out an individual phone jack to determine which one you want to use. If you want to use them all then no need to tone them. Strip off the ends and connect an rj45 connector to each line. You will need a tool for this and a quick trip to youtube to show you exactly how to connect them Once you have all of them connected on both ends (you have also changed out the jacks because phone jacks are not the same) then you are ready to connect. If you have electricity near then simply connect a mini switch or router as close as possible to the lines. Then all you have to do is plug in first the line running to your modem and then the rest of your jacks. Its not that complicated however if you are going to do this yourself then get some cat 5 cable and practice making your connections before you attempt this. Like I said it is better if you can get the contractor to do this first but it can be done because I have done it in my house. It is better to pick the central location where you know it won't look ugly. I had to put mine in a spare bedroom but when the door is open it hides the mini switch.
I do this for a living too and I stand behind what I said. Not all homes have the CAT5 wired correctly which is called "Home Run" (AKA Star Wiring) . The CAT5 in my house is wired "Daisy Chain" and it is NOT POSSIBLE to run multiple ethernet connections over a daisy chained ethernet wiring. Yes, you can get away with running 1 ethernet connection over the daisy chain but that is it.

The ONLY way to have multiple ethernet connections working simultaneously in your house is to make sure each ethernet connection is wired with whats called a "Home Run" configuration. This ensures that EACH ethernet cable has its own dedicated switch port.

Please -- tell me exactly where I am wrong in what I am explaining about wiring ethernet with "Home Run" VS "Daisy Chain".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_...l_engineering))
What exactly is home run wiring? | Primex Manufacturing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 11:25 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
I'll let you two duke it out. We are going to let a professional handle it before the walls get covered up

Old 05-03-2016, 11:25 AM

361 posts, read 749,507 times
Picture of daisy chain wiring: http://i.imgur.com/pJtv1PU.gif
Picture of home run wiring: http://www.copper.org/applications/t...e-figure01.jpg

Old 05-04-2016, 02:45 PM

459 posts, read 619,240 times
When a builder and low voltage cabling are involved, you never know what you are going to get....except it will be a cluster !@#$.
Sounds like hubby will be on the ball for this one.

I walked through a brand new credit union branch to check things over before we installed 30 something computers.
Where are the ethernet jacks I asked them......I ended up wiring the whole place over a weekend !!!!

Old 05-04-2016, 02:46 PM

459 posts, read 619,240 times
BTW I love PSL, I feel at home when I drive in. Counting down the years before we boot the kids out of the house.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 AM

8 posts, read 11,777 times
Question Insurance Company

Anyone have the name of a good home owner insurance company?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:30 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,304,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrightstar View Post
Anyone have the name of a good home owner insurance company?
Find a few companies that write thru al different insurance companies like ARK Royal , ASI ..try Tanya Lowe State Farm on us 1 (772) 335- 4014
Armellino Agency Inc. (772) 692-0110

Old 08-18-2016, 07:22 AM

Update

The lot is cleared!! All the permits have been pulled and we should be meeting with the construction guy soon. Just waiting for him to set the date.

We've had a lot of visitors this summer, at nicely spaced out intervals, but have had to have the living room used as a bedroom. We only have one guest bedroom in this rental. The new place will have three dedicated guest bedrooms. I am so looking forward to that!

I'm probably starting to pack things up a tad early but it's only the things that I am not going to be needing the next few months. Things like my books, puzzles, etc... I'm very glad I stored most of the boxes we used from our initial move from Philly to Florida.

Hopefully I can get some pictures up of the building progress.

Hopefully I don't bore anyone with my rambling!!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:42 AM

97 posts, read 136,712 times
Robin...we did the same thing! Our house was built by Maronda in the Winterlakes section. Small HOA payment, which basically takes care of lawn service.

We bought the house and then put a pool in the house. It took a while to put in but it is a nice amenity to have!

Good luck with your house!

Old 08-18-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enero6 View Post
Robin...we did the same thing! Our house was built by Maronda in the Winterlakes section. Small HOA payment, which basically takes care of lawn service.

We bought the house and then put a pool in the house. It took a while to put in but it is a nice amenity to have!

Good luck with your house!

Thank you!

I bet you've been enjoying your pool a LOT this summer
Ours will be done when the house is done. The pool company works with the builder. When the roof goes on, the pool gets started, that way both are completed at about the same time.

This is all so exciting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach