Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 03:25 PM

10 posts, read 7,953 times

Advertisements

hi everyone, i just need someone in vero beach to do a quick check for me, i'm out of state. last year i purchased some radio ads and (long story) now i'm wondering if some radio channels actually exist or not? wvbx 1620 am in vero beach and wbsx 1620 am in wabasso beach. would someone be so kind as to tune to either of those channels and let me know if they are actually on the air and if so let me know what you hear. thank you!!! i would really appreciate the help! please do not go by info on the internet, i want real ears listening please. p.s. also if anyone lives in or visits hutchinson/jensen/jupiter/juno, it's 1620 am on all those too. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 06:52 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Hi. Sorry, nope.

My indoor radio searched right by- but OK, I don't have an extra antenna on it but it gets all the other local channels. I live in So Vero but not CITY of Vero but in the Indian River County unincorporated... and there IS a difference in reception between So and North Vero near Wabasso.

So I checked in my car and nothing. 1620 is very faint talking under 100% static just like 1610 and 1630.

I'm in my car all day long and never get that channel so if it were legit to all of Vero Beach, I'd know it.

There's another station here AM 1240 that's out of Melbourne and occasionally depending on where I'm in in the county I can get it pretty clear but more often than not, I can't. Just by comparison that it seems their signal is not consistent.

Sorry! It appears to be on the air. Somewhere. Maybe only in it's own neighborhood! I'll be up in North-ish Vero on 41st St tomorrow and if I remember, I'll check up there. About 10 miles from my house. But I'm only 3 miles from a major bridge to the barrier island so they can't claim they reach all of "Vero Beach".

Old 06-09-2016, 10:19 PM

runswithscissors - wow, thank you soooooo much for checking and for that detailed report and commentary. that was so nice of you and it's really appreciated. yes, that would be fantastic if you happen to remember to check tomorrow in north vero. i'm not terribly radio-smart. when you say "very faint talking under 100% static" i'm wondering if that's like a ham/pirate radio sort of deal where it's someone nearby with very low power - or - if it's a normal channel coming in from pretty far away. either way it means it's non-existent for all intents and purposes. but for the tiny bit that's "there" i wonder what it is. again thank you very very much for taking the time to help out someone you don't know. so kind of you!

Old 06-10-2016, 06:01 AM

My pleasure! I like to solve a mystery and I like to know more about my own community.

Okay right now I am at the mall area if you look at a map it's on 60 West at 58th Ave. It's the central location for all the shopping here.

When I drove up here the signal was definitely stronger than last night but still you could not understand a word the people said and it was very static noise.

I could tell it was Spanish language but only because of the cadence of how the people were talking and I heard the word Cuba break through once lol. Irony.

So it's apparently talk radio since I have not heard any music at all in over an hour.

I'm a pet sitter dog walker. So then I went to my next client on 41st Street at 58th Avenue and it was just as bad with static but you could hear some words fading in and out. No one is going to be listening to that though.

I forgot at 8:30 I have to take a dog to a vet way up by Wabasso! Near 53rd and Rt 1. So I will update you later. I have to drop her off at 8:30 and pick her up after lunch so we'll see if the signal changes midday.

Regardless, in my opinion you lost your money. We do not specifically have a Hispanic Enclave here, but we do have a Hispanic population so they are hearing what I'm hearing.

It's a classic case of a radio station that can't broadcast very far.

You could probably look up the station on the internet but my guess is they are out of Wabasso a very tiny town but it is very close by. I'm talking like 20 miles from the very south of Vero to Wabasso. I have no idea why they have separate call letters for the same channel though.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-10-2016 at 06:57 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 AM

You know now that I think about it all of our construction workers here building many many many houses all over the place are Hispanic. I'm near them all the time and they only play music I never hear a radio blasting. Maybe it's a company policy but I would be surprised if they could receive Hispanic radio that they wouldn't be playing it.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:56 AM

Update complete static can't hear a thing on Route 1 at winter beach which is the little town after Vero Beach before Wabasso

Old 06-10-2016, 07:46 AM

superb work! i'm on the run so will write later. wow! thank you!!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2016, 12:39 PM

runswithscissors - thank you so much for all your help and input and the fine detective work! this has been so nice of you. it's very very appreciated. i was worried that no one would ever respond to my post but luckily a few have. and i guess you're right. i guess this got you a little curious. it definitely is a curiousity. now are you ready for this? it's figuratively and literally funny that you heard spanish because it surely wasn't supposed to be! haha.

so i guess there are just 3 possibilities when one tunes in to 1620 am. the three S's: silence, static, and spanish! but i'm thinking the spanish channel must just be coming in from a distance. if this low power channel exists it may be so low that it reaches a mile or less, pretty much ham radio. so maybe the spanish is from a normal channel in miami or wherever and maybe it wouldn't be there if there was a local vero channel. however there are other 1620 channels that i'm looking into in the melbourne area and juno-jupiter-jensen area and palm beach areas. i just didn't mention them in this forum. but a few locals have checked out those with no luck so far. thank you again!!!!

Old 06-10-2016, 01:44 PM

he three S's: silence, static, and spanish!

Hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach