Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 05:30 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times

Advertisements

I really wouldn't stress. Unless they decided to stay on nettles island in a mobile home they'll probably be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 05:51 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,304,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjean View Post
Our kids live in Port St Lucie and they've stayed. We're pretty worried- so I'd really appreciate if you all would post updates as long as you can. And what is the main radio station there that will be the one to listen to- I could listen online. THANKS!!!
You can go to WPTV out of west palm and stream their live Tv coverage on the Internet or check Iheart radio they are steaming a lot of local stations

Old 10-06-2016, 06:17 PM

696 posts, read 904,594 times
Are you guys mad at the idiot governor for ordering a mandatory evacuation and saying "you will die if you don't evacuate" for a storm that was weaker than many we have in NY?

Last edited by tar21; 10-06-2016 at 07:08 PM..

Old 10-06-2016, 06:25 PM

Mandatory evacuation from Mobile homes, Hutchison Island and low lying areas prone to flooded

Old 10-06-2016, 06:27 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,783,175 times
There is a guy broadcasting live from right near Port St. Lucy right here --> https://www.periscope.tv/w/1BdGYNZVevlJX

Old 10-06-2016, 07:07 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Are you guys mad at the idiot governor for ordering a mandatory evacuation and say "you will die if you don't evacuate" for a storm that was weaker than many we have in NY?
I really don't think he is an idiot for listening to everything the weather forecasters predicted. He was just reiterating what they told him. I feel a lot better for evacuating and nothing happen than being stuck out there with nothing but a prayer. I applaud all of our government officials for being proactive and protective of us during this ordeal.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjean View Post
Our kids live in Port St Lucie and they've stayed. We're pretty worried- so I'd really appreciate if you all would post updates as long as you can. And what is the main radio station there that will be the one to listen to- I could listen online. THANKS!!!
95.5 on Iheart radio

Old 10-06-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
It's probably not going to be a big deal. However I don't think it is just drama causing this. They have a duty to get people prepared and a Cat4, should it turn into us, would be very nasty. While that isn't the case, there are people that live in low lying areas or homes that aren't pimped out with shutters, gensets etc and sitting in flood prone places. So they need to absolutely keep the masses on guard and how they do it is by projecting "western most" models with wind "gust" projections to make things scarier.

If they just come on tv and say "sustained winds of 40 to 60mph" people are going to be "lul, that is a thunderstorm" and not care.

When they come on TV and say "Cat 4 roaring up our coast and the eye wall could make landfall in some of the models" people pay attention.

So while I agree, the news tends to worst case scenario it a little, they do it for a reason. If that storm does make a sudden turn because the Bermuda high suddenly moves 30 miles further west than expected and we get hit dead on people are going to be up in arms and the government will be asking why no one predicted it could happen.

I completely understand why they are doing what they are doing. When a storm that is 300 miles wide and 40 miles off your coast it can be hard to say 100% that "its just going to be a tropical storm, NBD". In that case you're not worried about the 95% chance that is what you'll get, but the 5% chance that it decides to steer a little further left and rape everything.
It was more than that the governor actually said "this storm will kill you if you don't evacuate" after the storm already showed it would not hit south florida and he should be held to account for that.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
I really don't think he is an idiot for listening to everything the weather forecasters predicted. He was just reiterating what they told him. I feel a lot better for evacuating and nothing happen than being stuck out there with nothing but a prayer. I applaud all of our government officials for being proactive and protective of us during this ordeal.
The weather forecasters as well should be held accountable for massively mis-predicating this storm. This is not the first hurricane they mis-predicated eithor, it's just incompetence at this point. Apparently the weather satellites they use are old and need to be replaced is what someone told me, they should just replace them already instead of keep screwing up.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:50 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
This is going to be a bad one.. I am on the gulf coast and I know the east coast is in for a 12 ft surge. that is higher than homes. Hurricanes usually don't skirt the coast . They usually come in on a direct hit. This will bring in waves of water like never before. Get out if you are near the coastal areas. Drive inland away from the ocean . If you have no where to go, just stay in the car and drive away from the coast. The hell with the house. If it is going to get flooded, you may drown as well. Get out. It is going to be a really bad storm with very high storm surge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach