Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 03:49 PM

13 posts, read 24,584 times

Advertisements

I'm preparing to build a new home in the Treasure Coast area, and have been researching construction techniques used by various builders. Much of the literature I've read indicates that stem wall/slab foundations offer better stability than monolithic slabs on compacted fill as well as better resistance to water intrusion under the lower walls. One of the builders that I'm interested in using uses steel reinforced monolithic slab with fiber mesh. This builder appears to be highly regarded.

Any views on whether I should be concerned with moving forward with monolithic slab?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 04:15 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
Having built my own house and having worked with various builders -- the steel reinforced slab (monolithic) is the most common one used by many builders. Stem wall foundations are usually used if you have a crawlspace or basement (which we do not have in this area) in Northern homes, BUT....stem wall foundations ARE used here in Florida and would probably cost more.

PLEASE DO investigate (if you haven't already) any feedback online and if you want to .. here for personal experiences with any builder you ask about

Old 02-26-2017, 04:24 PM

13 posts, read 24,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Having built my own house and having worked with various builders -- the steel reinforced slab (monolithic) is the most common one used by many builders. Stem wall foundations are usually used if you have a crawlspace or basement (which we do not have in this area) in Northern homes, BUT....stem wall foundations ARE used here in Florida and would probably cost more.

PLEASE DO investigate (if you haven't already) any feedback online and if you want to .. here for personal experiences with any builder you ask about
Thanks. That's good to know. Sounds like there's no reason for concern.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:42 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
There really isn't. Likely not worth the money. Don't build anything here with crawls spaces or access underneath unless you want to have a nightmare getting insurance. If you really want a strong structure do a continues tie beam around the concrete walls and inset the first block.

Honestly the biggest issue is these builders throw some dirt on a lot and 6 months later your house is fully built on it. They do supposedly do tests and such but in our experience the longer the dirt sat the less issues we had with cracking and settling. We've built 5 homes in FL over the last 17 years and it has always been very noticeable when the lots were prepped 6+ months prior to contract vs the dirt being hauled in right after the contract was signed. Much more settling and cracking when they go quickly.

Everyone wants it right away though and if we have a dry season as your lot is prepped and built during it there will be a difference.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:42 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Maronda uses stem walls. Their reason for using that method is that they had issues with flooding during hurricane conditions. Stem walls reduce the infiltration of water when the ground is saturated. I don't know how valid that claim is, but that's what I was told.

It is more labor intensive and requires more time to build. From what I have researched, it is a better foundation. that's one of the many reasons I chose to build with Maronda. Good luck deciding!

Old 03-02-2017, 05:26 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
you might want to look up reviews and complaints on the builder you are considering -- and check the BBB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach