Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,429 times

Advertisements

Landed a job in Stuart for my first job out of college. What can I expect from the area? I'm moving from Gainesville Florida which I love and always seems to have stuff going on.

My main concern about Stuart is dating, and finding stuff to do. I'm going to have to build a whole new friend group, as I don't know anyone in the area, are there fun and social things to do here? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
Nothing like a college town that is for sure.

The area is sleepy. Stuart itself doesn't have a ton off of US1. The area has a fair bit of disparity between very wealthy and people eeking it out. I'd say the extremes are quite obvious just driving through most of it. There are some nice communities, areas and it is a safe area for the most part but don't expect any real night life.

You have the beach, some strip malls, Walmart and well the beach. Yes I said it twice. There are some state parks, US1, a quaint tiny downtown area and the intercoastal / ocean. You can go to Jensen for the mall and shopping or PSL or you can make the trip to West Palm for more options. These areas have the basics but not much more, WPB has more to offer.

Dating probably won't be a huge issue. There are plenty of singles in WPB up to PSL. You might have to get creative and use some internet dating but it shouldn't be a huge issue.

You'll probably get bored though depending on how much you can make due with the beach since that tends to be the big draw for people. If you aren't into hot sand and sweltering on it then you'll likely have to look south for more options.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:02 AM

320 posts, read 393,343 times
Stuart is full of old people.. and that's about it.. The town itself is nice though.. well kept... nice little historic downtown area.. was voted happiest seaside town..

Hutchinson Island is just minutes away which is very beautiful...

its a much nicer area than Gainesville though.... much more tropical feel .. you're moving from northern FL to South FL coast line...

and you can see Dolphins swimming in the Lagoon very often...

Last edited by k00p; 07-25-2017 at 04:16 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 05:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Is PSL, Seb. Stuart, Vero areas prone to hurricanes? thx

Old 07-25-2017, 06:08 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You have to be prepared no matter where you live in Florida. In 2004 two hurricanes made landfall in the area (Frances and Jeanne) and the area has been affected by others (e.g. Wilma, Matthew).

Old 07-25-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
not often

Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 AM

there's lots of stuff to do if you like the out doors...

and you can go down to Palm Beach which isn't that far away.. I drove down there once by accident while looking for Hobe Sound... a Lamborghini passed me going home to his mansion. =o/

Old 07-25-2017, 08:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k00p View Post
there's lots of stuff to do if you like the out doors...

and you can go down to Palm Beach which isn't that far away.. I drove down there once by accident while looking for Hobe Sound... a Lamborghini passed me going home to his mansion. =o/
Neat ! I'll have to take the chances on hurricanes.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,192,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notblake View Post
Landed a job in Stuart for my first job out of college. What can I expect from the area? I'm moving from Gainesville Florida which I love and always seems to have stuff going on.

My main concern about Stuart is dating, and finding stuff to do. I'm going to have to build a whole new friend group, as I don't know anyone in the area, are there fun and social things to do here? Thanks!
I agree with you about Gainesville; moved up from SFLA about 2 years ago & love it up here.

Another area to check out besides WPB is Palm Beach Gardens, specifically the area around The Gardens Mall. Good luck in Stuart. I agree it is a sleepy place. We checked it out a bit & found it was too sleepy for our tastes & we are much older than you.

Jupiter is about a 40 minute or so drive to Stuart. It is also a sleepy town, like Stuart, but it borders PBG so not as far to drive for nightlife. Also, it is that much closer to City Place in WPB (about 30 minutes or so south). Depending on how much you like to go out, and how much you don't mind a commute, I would look at Jupiter as a kinda half-way point. Gorgeous beaches too.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:19 PM

Jupiter is overpriced to hell because they think they're Palm Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach