U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:44 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,579,010 times

Advertisements

A redneck is someone who would give you the shirt off their back, help you when you're down but will stand up to your crap if you look down on them or try to take advantage of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 09:33 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,757,856 times
"3. Would we be accepted coming from the North? Port Saint Lucie has the reputation of being Rednecks (NOT THAT WE HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST THAT), but would we be accepted? I can tell you we are two of the most down to earth people you will meet, just looking to making friends. I am a retired Police Officer. I am also a United Stated Veteran, and we both belong to the American Legion, and the Legion Riders. I also belong to the Knights of Columbus. "

The "redneck" reputation that you speak of is certainly not correct. We do have one person who posts here that considers this area redneck because we don't have a Saks 5th avenue on every corner. You WILL find all of the groups you already belong to here. Apparently you like to ride and will really enjoy that in this area. Lots of trips you can take in many directions that you can enjoy with little traffic. Always bike rallies going on and Bike Night in Ft Pierce. None of these are "biker" types either. Just people who enjoy riding.

Weather wise, yes it's hot right now and I am sooo waiting for Fall and Winter in Florida to appear. Yes we suffer through a few months of it - going from air conditioning to air conditioning.. but then that day comes where we can shut the a/c off and open all the windows and doors (and leave them OPEN till May) and really enjoy living here. That also means no snow, no driving in the snow, no coats, no boots, no going from heated to heated, and big bills for elec and oil. I rarely if ever use the heat here unless it gets below 50, but I like it that way and may only turn the heat on for 15 minutes to take off the chill.

I lived in Charleston SC a long long time ago as a child, and all I can remember was the smell of the paper mills. YUCK!
I have no idea if they are still there now.

Yes.. visit both places first. Let us know when you'll be here and we can give you some ideas of where to visit and things to do while you're here.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:07 PM

320 posts, read 295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post

I lived in Charleston SC a long long time ago as a child, and all I can remember was the smell of the paper mills.

and swamps

Old 08-26-2017, 12:13 PM

8,137 posts, read 6,848,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
<>
I lived in Charleston SC a long long time ago as a child, and all I can remember was the smell of the paper mills. I have no idea if they are still there now.
<>
I remember riding down South in the 60s and we knew we were coming to a town by that smell of sulphur from the paper mills. Pretty much gone now.
I suggest you not get so far to the edge as Florida. You'll miss the cool Fall and delightful Spring if you over shoot and go past North Carolina. Wilmington and the Inner coast of the Pamlico Sound are wonderful places to retire and we have four seasons.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:41 PM

36 posts, read 56,449 times
I recently moved to PSL in February 2017 from Northern NJ(well, I actually spent 2 years in TX but that isn't important, I'm still a Jersey Girl) and I love the weather here. I got use to the weather pretty quickly. I moved down here with a few North Face jackets and I have yet to put one on. Maybe just a hoodie when I arrived in February. I live close to Stuart and drive over a bridge everyday that goes over the St. Lucie River and I just love looking at the water and seeing all the boats in the water. I feel like I live at the shore. Palm trees galore and green grass year round.
Hope you make the move and enjoy your new life in PSL.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:09 PM

25 posts, read 33,808 times
No rednecks here and very little crime either. I'm from up north too and I think there's little crime for one main reason, there's no downtown. Downtown areas tend to draw bums, drugs, crime. When you open the door of your home here in July an August it's like opening your furnace door and looking in. Take some getting used to, i'm not used to it yet and been here for over 5 years. Get a house with a pool or find one nearby. Port St Lucie is a city that will welcome your northern cash$$$. Make a few visits here and talk to people before buying anything here. The culture is different than up north. I call Florida the Free For All State. If you're going to buy a home and get an inspector, inspect it yourself also. You know you can trust real estate agents right??? Be careful.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:10 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,118,619 times
My wife and I were Snowbirds/ legal residents of FL (Nov 1st to beginning of the 2nd wk of May) for 5 years, It was a great time, until we got tired of the travel, so we decided to move to FL year round,We thought we had it made, newer house on 5 acres, 1 acre pond, pool, and privacy. Then around the second week of May it came, the temperature started to climb, and it didn’t stop climbing, heck, it was seventies, low eighties in Nov., the pool water was so hot in the dead of Summer that we didn’t venture into it.
We lasted 3 years, and realized Florida is a Snowbird playground, everybody smiling and carrying on.
We sold our house and moved to the mountains of Western North Carolina, and loving it,
4 seasons, with mild Winters, when it snows, it’s gone in a couple of days.
Do your homework before heading to FL full time, look at past weather reports on accuweather.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach