Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 05:22 AM

7 posts, read 14,268 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am looking at a possible move early next year to the beautiful treasure coast. I am 50 years old and am very familiar with the area due to my parents living on North Hutchinson Island (north end towards Vero) and am planning to rent close by as well. While searching the net, I have come across several rental offers on South Hutchinson Island as well. Allthough I have been down there (mainly restaurants and bars), I am not familiar with the condos or Apartments on the south side. How different is North and South Hutchinson from each other ? What would you prefer ? I am just talking about the living part. I am well aware of the lack of stores and entertainment on both sides. Another option would be Jensen (and I really like it there), but that would be too far from my parents I believe. Not that they require my assistance, but I like to have them close by and be able to visit often. Maybe it is just because I am just used to North Hutchinson. My job will be in PSL close to I95.
Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 01:21 PM

234 posts, read 387,801 times
When you say North Hutchinson Island are you talking about the barrier island containing Vero Beach because I think this island is also called Orchid Island. I think when most people hear North Hutchinson Island they may be thinking of the northern end of Hutchinson Island which is the Fort Pierce area. South Hutchinson island is the area around Jensen and Stuart.

In general I would say the barrier island around Jensen and Stuart is less developed than the Vero Beach barrier Island. The beaches are nice but most of the activity is on the mainland.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
When you say North Hutchinson Island are you talking about the barrier island containing Vero Beach because I think this island is also called Orchid Island. I think when most people hear North Hutchinson Island they may be thinking of the northern end of Hutchinson Island which is the Fort Pierce area. South Hutchinson island is the area around Jensen and Stuart.

In general I would say the barrier island around Jensen and Stuart is less developed than the Vero Beach barrier Island. The beaches are nice but most of the activity is on the mainland.
Thanks for your answer. When I say North Hutchinson I mean the Ft.Pierce part (Still St.Lucie County) before entering Vero. By South Hutchinson I mean the part in Ft.Pierce toward the nuclear plant.
If I would choose Jensen, I would probably stay off the island. Same would go for Vero (which I also like).

Old 10-24-2017, 07:30 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Honestly, if you lived within a half an hour distance, you would still be able to see them frequently. I do get what you're saying though. We live 15 minutes from Hubby's Mom.

We live just east of Indian River Drive and take that to visit the mom-in-law who lives in Indian River Estates. Much faster and easier than taking Route 1.

South Hutchinson would put you closer to work and may be a good half way point between parents and work. You should clock it with your car and driving at different times of the day. Although it sounds like you haven't quite moved here yet?

I am partial to this whole area but I think that there is more to offer in the PSL and Jenson Beach area.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Honestly, if you lived within a half an hour distance, you would still be able to see them frequently. I do get what you're saying though. We live 15 minutes from Hubby's Mom.

We live just east of Indian River Drive and take that to visit the mom-in-law who lives in Indian River Estates. Much faster and easier than taking Route 1.

South Hutchinson would put you closer to work and may be a good half way point between parents and work. You should clock it with your car and driving at different times of the day. Although it sounds like you haven't quite moved here yet?

I am partial to this whole area but I think that there is more to offer in the PSL and Jenson Beach area.

Thank you for the info. No, I have not moved yet, but will do so early 2018. Allthough I am familiar with the whole area due to having been there at least 2 dozen times. I will take your advise and drive around during Christmas (will be there for 3 weeks to start getting things done).
How is Indian River Estates and Indian River Dr. as far as pricing and crime ? I am not familiar with this area in particular.
What areas do you recommend and should be avoided in PSL and Jensen close to the water but off the island ? Thank you.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:49 AM

I know Fort Pierce has more crime areas. I don't know of any in Port St Lucie.

Indian River Estates is a development that is more like a rural development. Large lots, no HOA that is mandatory but does have an HOA of sorts. A much older neighborhood.

Indian River Drive runs along the Indian River Lagoon. A slow drive to get from point A to point B but the scenic drive has no stop signs, no traffic lights and less vehicles. Makes a much more pleasant drive. Prices for homes along that stretch are way out of my reach! LOL

We rented in the Fort Pierce area for 5 years and after knowing we will live in Florida forever (love it here) we built in Port St Lucie.

I'm not qualified to give opinions on areas of PSL (Port St Lucie). We found a lot in a non HOA community not far from the Indian River Lagoon.

Hopefully someone will come by with more of the information you're looking for. We just know that we didn't want to settle in Fort Pierce.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:50 PM

234 posts, read 387,801 times
A couple years ago I purchased a home in Skyline Heights which is in Jensen near downtown and 3 miles from the beach. The homes in this neighborhood are older and smaller so they are a relative bargain given the location and in comparison to other homes in Martin County. There is also no HOA in this neighborhood. Skyline Drive also runs through the neighborhood which makes for a nice street for walks and taking in views of the Indian River. The biggest downside to the homes in this neighborhood are that many are older, smaller, and could need modeling or repairs.

There are several newer developments along Jensen Beach boulevard with larger newer homes but I personally think the location is less desirable since you are further from downtown Jensen and the beach.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:49 AM

Well, I decided rather quickly and rented (lease to purchase) a very nice apartment in downtown Ft. Pierce. To be exact in the Renaissance on the River building. I am very excited an happy with my decision.
Thanks for all of your input.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:08 AM

Welcome to the area!!

Old 11-23-2017, 03:59 AM

320 posts, read 393,125 times
South Hutchinson Island has plenty of shops and stores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach