Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 03:11 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,198,651 times

Advertisements

How cold will it get?

Expect lows in the low- to mid-30s late Wednesday and early Thursday, with temperatures rising into the 50s each day, according to the National Weather Service, Melbourne.

Expect wind chills in the 20s on the Treasure and Space coasts, National Weather Service meteorologists said.

The coldest will be Thursday morning, when it will feel like 26 degrees in Melbourne and Titusville, 27 degrees in Vero Beach, 28 degrees in Fort Pierce and 31 degrees in Stuart.

Snow is not in the forecast.

Will cold weather shelters be open?

Treasure Coast

Vero Beach: The Source, 1015 Commerce Ave. Will open Wednesday at 7 p.m. through Friday at 6 p.m.

Fort Pierce: In the Image of Christ, 707 N. Seventh St. Opens Tuesday 5 p.m. through 8 a.m. Saturday.

Stuart: Gertrude Walden Child Care Center in Stuart, 601 S.E. Lake St. No decision.

Indiantown: Boys & Girls Club, 17375 S.W. Palm Beach St. No decision

Brevard County

Melbourne: His Place Ministries, 1824 S. Harbor City Blvd. Will open Wednesday through Friday, 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. each day

Titusville: North Brevard Coalition of Human Services Disabled American Veteran Chapter, 435 N. Singleton Ave. Will open Wednesday through Saturday, 5:30 p.m. to 8 a.m. each day

Cocoa: Sharing Center of Central Brevard, 113 Aurora St. Will open Wednesday and Thursday, 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Is it too cold for pets to be left outside? YES
Don't leave dogs and cats outdoors. In the home, keep animals off cold tile surfaces and give them blankets or pet beds to sleep on.

Small dogs and dogs with short coats can chill easily. Provide them with a sweater when going outdoors and keep walks brief.

Puppies, senior dogs, dogs who are ill and certain breeds (like bulldogs and pugs) are extremely sensitive to cold weather. These pets should only go outdoors to relieve themselves or should be allowed to go to the bathroom on paper indoors.

Keep animals at a safe distance from heaters and fireplaces and never leave a pet alone in a room with a space heater.

Farm animals need protection, too. Provide all farm animals with shelter, extra food and warm bedding and check on them frequently.

Warm car engines tend to attract small wildlife and cats. Bang on the hood of your car a few times before starting the engine to scare away any animal that may have crawled underneath.

Should I cover my outdoor plants?
Cold weather, even if it doesn't drop below freezing, can harm cold-sensitive plants. Frost can occur at above-freezing temperatures.
Heavily water plants before the cold arrives. Water in the soil helps insulate vegetation.
Cover plants that are the most cold-sensitive if they can't be moved indoors.
Check plants that are to be moved indoors. They may harbor insects.
Protecting cold-sensitive plants takes planning ahead. Cloth sheets, quilts, plastic, or commercial frost cloths will work. Remove plastic covers during a sunny day or provide ventilation to keep the air under the cover from heating up too much. Putting a light bulb under a cover is a simple method of providing heat to ornamental plants in the landscape.

After a freeze, especially on a sunny day, plants can lose water because the water in the soil or container medium is frozen. Watering the plants will give them available water and will also help thaw the soil.
Remove dead leaves once they turn brown. You should wait to do any severe pruning until new growth appears. This way you can be sure you are not removing any live wood and damaging the plant even more.

Using space heaters
Use space heaters for short time periods and not as a main heat source.
Set the heater at the lowest comfortable setting.
Direct the heater to warm people, not space.
Keep combustible materials — such as bedding, clothing, draperies, rugs and furniture — at least 3 feet away from the heater.
Keep children and pets at a safe distance.
Keep space heaters away from water to avoid electric shock.
Turn off and unplug the heater when leaving the room for an extended period of time.
Avoid using extension cords.
Source: FPL

All other distressed wildlife may be reported to the FWC Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-FWCC (3922).
Source: Fish and Wildlife Research Institute, St. Petersburg

BY THE WAY....If you haven't used the heater in a year or just moved -- try it NOW to see if it works.
Most likely you WILL smell a slight burning musty smell from dust that has settled since the last use.
If it doesn't come on or if it only gives out cold air...call someone NOW... not later when they could be flooded by calls.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 07:14 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,615 times
I can't believe it!! I think I need to call in for the rest of the week! This guy does NOT do cold!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:15 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Ha! We just got back from Michigan. This will feel balmy compared to sub-zero temps. LOL!

Old 01-05-2018, 01:44 PM

320 posts, read 393,343 times
LOL cold weather shelters..

its going to be 74 on Monday and 80 on Thursday and friday

Old 01-06-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00p View Post
LOL cold weather shelters..

its going to be 74 on Monday and 80 on Thursday and friday
I wonder if you'd appreciate a cold weather shelter if you were homeless and out in 30 degree temps trying to sleep. Try to be a little compassionate. I'd love for you to visit tent city in Stuart and see how some of these people live.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:24 AM

Some people in older homes don't have heat. The shelters are for them as well.

and I DID get a request for information on how to get to the BEACH!!! brrrrrrrrrrrr!

Old 01-06-2018, 07:35 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
I wonder if you'd appreciate a cold weather shelter if you were homeless and out in 30 degree temps trying to sleep. Try to be a little compassionate. I'd love for you to visit tent city in Stuart and see how some of these people live.
Unfortunately there are those that have no compassion and cannot imagine anything other than their own life style and views. It's quite sad really.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:06 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,463 times
How many actual "cold" days do we get down here? I would say 20 or less. Could be worse. Why does everyone equate your feelings with these homeless remarks. Just because someone makes a remark that they don't do cold doesn't mean that they don't care about the less fortunate. Why do you bring this up? Does it make you feel warmer? How do you know people who make these remarks have never experienced this or do nothing for the poor? We all know what you get when you ass/u/me.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:09 PM

dropping to the 40's tonite....too cold for me!

Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 PM

Yup- here we go again! Is it just me, or does it seem like this year has been especially cold? I remember 2013 being pretty cold, but this year is relentless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach