Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 38,488 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just accidently discovered Port St Lucie and Tradition on the net and I'm intrigued. I grew up on Long Island, but have lived on the West Coast since the early '80's (California, North and South, and now the Seattle, WA area)

There is a lot I love about this area but I miss warmth. California is too expensive for me, though it or Hawaii would be top of my list.

I lived in Hollywood Hills Florida in 7th grade and I have an aunt who lives in Palm Beach Gardens now (as well as a cousin in Juipiter) but I haven't been there since another cousin got married in the 90's. I do have vague memories of the humidty and the weird noise as lizards and bugs scramble away as you walk. I am also a huge snake phobic and I remember some boys at school during the 7th grade stint in FL pulling this incredibly long snake out of a tree during recess. *shudder*

I know overall Florida is a Red state but how mixed is the PSL area? I have to admit I am a tree hugging liberal and I am also not religious at all. I like small local stores and restaurants over chains. I am not turned off by the Disney-esque feel some say Tradition/PSL has. In fact, I think from the photos Tradition looks very charming and 'user-friendly'. I really love the idea of being able to walk or bike around to shops or to listen to music or to vist a friend. But I am not fond of street after street of houses all looking the same. I also like when an effort is made to have foliage and flowers all over the area.

I've seen some posts that say salaries are pretty low. How then do people pay the higher tax rates and insurance costs? Are most people barely scraping by?

I am just in the beginnning stages of exploring a move. Prices have gone down here in my area (as elsewhere) and while we have not been as badly hit, I would like to see prices come up a bit before I think of selling. I also was diagnosed with breast cancer a bit over 4 years ago and I think after 5 years have past (they then classify oyu as a survivor) the odds of me being able to get affordable medical care will go up. How are the medical centers in the area?

I know that was more free form rambling than direct questions but thanks in advance for any advice or info you can send my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 03:15 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,196,298 times
I moved to Tradition last November from the Jensen Beach area and absolutely love it! I certainly don't feel it's disney-like at all and I think anyone else that lives here will tell you the same.

Much of PSL is homes individual lots and not communities. They also have no restrictions. I guess it depends on what kind of area you prefer.

Me, I work and I like having my grass (and everyone elses) look nice all the time because it's taken care of in most of the communities. I enjoy walking around the shops and the Town Center, being part of the various events that take place here- the Beach Boys will be here on the 29th- for instance. I have sidewalks to bike all over the area. Parks and play areas for the children including a water area. Even a dog park. It's nice!!

As far as medical centers in the area, I have personally been to Martin Memorial North and was amazed at how well I was taken care of. Even the food was good! LOL!!
There is also St. Lucie Medical Center. My best friend has also gone through breast cancer and I know she would be glad to give you some recommendations. The Cleveland Clinic isn't that far away either if it came to that.

Getting to your family in Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens (I have lived in those areas as well) is easy and I am sure you will be visiting them often. Jupiter is about a half hour south.

Most of the large businesses are located more in the West Palm Beach area and many people who live here commute there. It depends on what kind of work you do. PSL is not a "corporate" area. A bit more low key.

Snakes? Haven't seen one yet and I don't like them either. The little lizards...yes, they are all over and they eat the bugs. I actually pick them up and put them back outside if they happen to find their way in the house. Otherwise my cats would have a new toy! They're harmless.

So.. welcome to the forums!!! I'm sure you will get a lot of info to help with your choice. If I can help at all, just let me know.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:35 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,700 times
IMO, Lawnwood Regional Medical Center is the best hospital in the area. It is ranked as the top 50 hospitals in this country. Its heart center is one of the best in this nation. St. Lucie Medical Center is a little sister of Lawnwood Medical Center. Martin Memorial is located in a wealthy area so it tends to be considered nice. But it is not fully equipped to handle all kind of emergency cases. If you want to learn about hospitals and St. Lucie County, search for PslOldtimer's posts.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 38,488 times
Thanks for the responses. Very good information!

Any thoughts on the 'feel' there in terms of conservative/liberal/religious/non religious/mix?

Does the Publix have a good selection of organic food? I see there is a Whole Foods in Palm Beach Gardens and I found a source for pasture raised meat close to Port St Lucie.

Do you find the people very friendly? I happened upon a site that had a forum where all the posters were saying many people in the area are quite rude. My mom still lives out near the end of Long Island in a smallish town and I am always amazed at how abrupt at the best, rude at the worst people are including people in the service industries. Blows my mind the contrast with here where people try very hard to be polite and nice. I know lots of NY/NJ people move to FL and even if they don't mean to come off as rude, there is definitely a different way they express themselves that can come off very rude.

And how do people tend to get by financially? I did a search at Salary.com just using a basic admin assistant levl job to compare and the difference in that job was like $7k less. And that is using my northern suburb not the city of Seattle for comparison. A nurse's salary was over $10k lower. Real estate is a whole lot cheaper in teh PSL area but I keep reading taxes and insurance are quite high.

How long does it take to get to the ocean? I woud love to live close to the ocean (with a view ) but I'm guessing being a bit inland is better when hurricane season comes along.

Any other suggestions of places to explore on the net as potential candidates?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM

If you want a view and don't care about school district, check out Harbor Isle in Ft. Pierce. Most condos have a very good inter-coastal view. The price is very affordable now. Downtown Ft. Pierce has a nice library, a good selection of restaurants, bars and Sunrise Theater. At weekend, there is a farmer market where you will find the best cookie and biscotti in this world (there was a line every time we were there). You will also find organic fresh vegetables. It is 10 minutes away from Lawnwood Medical Ctr. I don't know how well they pay their staff. However, Ft. Pierce has some very undesirable area. Be sure to check it out and its surrounding area to see whether you would like the area.
Tradition is also nice and safe. Be sure to check out all the communities in the Tradition. If I were you, find a job first. Rent at Tradition and check out other locations. Good Luck.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:32 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,196,298 times
Ling Ling.. I was one of the people who sold Harbour Isle. The floor plans are great and so are the views. BUT considering the areas you have to drive through to get to it, the roads along Seaway are prone to flooding when we have storms, getting to publix is not next door and it's not a great store like some. Personally I would not recommend Ft. Pierce to anyone. I didn't consider that area "safe" when I worked there and still don't.

One reason I moved to Tradition is because of the age range. It's more young families mixed with some retired people. A little bit of everybody. I find it extremely friendly, the Publix is great, the people IN Publix are friendly and helpful as well. I don't go looking for organic food myself so I can't tell you about that.

How far to the ocean? About a half hour drive considering PSL is wide. To get to the ocean you have to go over the bridge from the mainland to Hutchinson Island. Water is everywhere here so boating and kayaking is a favorite sport. If you're looking for an ocean view - welcome to condo living with retired people because that is what Hut. Island is all about. Nice public beaches though. They do get the brunt of any hurricane and get it bad.

Your question: Any thoughts on the 'feel' there in terms of
conservative/liberal/religious/non religious/mix? That honestly is not even a consideration here as this area is probably a mix of everything, but we don't ask, or make anything of it. It's not a basis for any kind of confrontation if that's what you're asking.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:03 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleyna View Post
Hi everyone,

I know overall Florida is a Red state but how mixed is the PSL area?
Red vs Blue? Remember, the vote has been around 51% to 49%, so you will find people of all political persuasions.

What town on Long Island?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 12,964 times
I live in Pompano Beach but want to relocate a little further north. I was looking in the Lakeland area, but recently began researching the Ft. Pierce / Pt. St. Lucie area.

I am in my 40's, divorced with no children. It seems like I'd be out of place in the PSL area, including Tradition. It appears to be mostly families with kids. Am I correct?

I am just looking for a safe, quiet area to live with my dog with nice neighbors. It would be nice to be in an area where there are some available men. I don't want to be alone for the next 30 years. LOL! Can anyone offer any info on this subject?

One other thing. Can anyone recommend a good hospital to work for in the area?

Thank you.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Ling Ling.. I was one of the people who sold Harbour Isle. The floor plans are great and so are the views. BUT considering the areas you have to drive through to get to it, the roads along Seaway are prone to flooding when we have storms, getting to publix is not next door and it's not a great store like some. Personally I would not recommend Ft. Pierce to anyone. I didn't consider that area "safe" when I worked there and still don't. .
Good to know. I just read your post. I guess this is why that the price of that condo with its view is so low. A friend wants to buy Ocean front. He is more interested in “so call” north beach area. He is interested in that new construction (2300 sf, starting price ~$560K). Do you know anything about that area?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianRN View Post
I live in Pompano Beach but want to relocate a little further north. I was looking in the Lakeland area, but recently began researching the Ft. Pierce / Pt. St. Lucie area.

I am in my 40's, divorced with no children. It seems like I'd be out of place in the PSL area, including Tradition. It appears to be mostly families with kids. Am I correct?

I am just looking for a safe, quiet area to live with my dog with nice neighbors. It would be nice to be in an area where there are some available men. I don't want to be alone for the next 30 years. LOL! Can anyone offer any info on this subject?

One other thing. Can anyone recommend a good hospital to work for in the area?

Thank you.
I think you will fit in Tradition. Check out the Lake at Tradition, Capri III model (you can rent first if you don’t want to buy). My husband and I often joke about that we are already in a retirement community so we will never have to move. A lot of family has a dog or dogs. My neighbors are nice. I know at least four single guys and I don’t mingle that much (spend too much time on this site). Three of them are in your age group. One of them has told me if I found good looking single woman in my work place, I should inform him (he likes good looking woman with a well paid job). The community has some sort of dance club, book club….welcome clubs. In two weeks, there will be a health fair.
I don’t know about jobs. There are three hospitals in our area and one ER will be built soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach