Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,349,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
You have your work cut out for you here, Tri. Some killer older posts.
Lol, I don't understand what you're talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM

569 posts, read 1,665,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela View Post
I got trans by my company from Westchester County NY to Port St Lucie 9 1/2 years ago and I am crying today. You think there are no jobs were you live it is worse here! I am going to give you the best advice anyone could give you DO NOT MOVE TO PSL. If you want to fight for a job tooth and nail for $8.00 to $10.00 an hour work double shifts and get treated like a dog that is what is in Port St Lucie. And it is not cheaper to live here that is old news food is more expensive then NY my car insurance is more expensive my homeowner insurance is more expensive it costs more to maint a home in PSL then it was for me in NY. The only thing that is very cheap in Port St Lucie is employment. If I was in NY I wouldn't have been out of work more then 1 week but in Port St Lucie I have been out of work over a year. All my offers are to relocate and I can't do that right now with the RE market the way it is.
Tri, this is what I was referring to.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Tri, this is what I was referring to.
I honestly cannot speak for everyone who lives in PSL, what and how they are living, or what sort of skills they bring to the job market to make them think they're entitled to more than $10.00/hour to begin with.

I have posted plenty of statistics to show that the median household income in PSL is only a couple thousand less than other larger metro areas. These people are working SOMEWHERE. People who net $40k/year passive income from "wealth" and retirement savings don't typically move to PSL.

I have shown that only a relatively small percentage of people travel as far as Palm Beach County for employment that live in PSL, and that the average commute time is about 25 minutes.

I have shown and argued that home insurance right now can be had on most average homes in PSL for less than $1000.00/year (I have a friend who is an agent in the area, and has doen several places that I know). You can buy a brand new home in gated and/or newer developments in PSL for way less than $150k, and pay taxes of $3000/year. For growing families, it's a good alternative. Even if you have to travel to Palm Beach County for work, the situation is not much different from those who rave about their 100k, 3000 sq. foot house in a suburb of Atlanta, 3 hours away from their job and smack dab in the middle of good ole' boy central.

I can argue all of this time and again, and still get nothing but snide responses about Chinese drywall and sprawl. At this point, I'm starting to not care about people and their misery, whining, carping about hearing Spanish in a state with a Spanish name, their lack of marketable skills contributing to their not finding a job, how hot they are, how much they miss Vinny's Pizza on whatever crap block of a dying rust belt city they came from, or that their little precious was ace of his class back in Lawn Guyland, but now lags behind in Florida schools.

The funny thing is, I don't even know why I bother. I don't live in PSL, I have no property in PSL, no business in PSL, no vested interest in PSL, other than the general feeling to want to see areas in my immediate vicinity do well.

I really should learn the lesson and just stop. I have no time to help people who would rather spend more energy whining on a forum about how miserable they are than to pick up their phone and call their agent, petition the value adjustment board of their county to ask for a re-adjustment of value so that their taxes will go down. Of course not. It's the American way, apparently. Whine until someone else takes care of something for you.

..... or run away and move to North Carolina. That's where there's no Hispanics or crime, the jobs are plentiful, and everyone makes $20/hour right out of high school doing clerical work. Right?

Old 05-07-2009, 12:14 PM

Chinese drywall in the pizzle fo shizzle.

Tri, I see some of your points but it's just the whole jobs thing that keeps coming up again and again from people who live in the Pizzle. There is just not enough to go around. Why else is everyone complaining and all the foreclosures with people leaving. If the jobs were so good and plentiful this would not be happening. Why on earth can't Florida locals seem to find high paying jobs especially in the Pizzle? One of the only growing job segments in Florida is specialized medical. We are all supposed to become nurses now? That's probably where the averages are coming from.

As for the Carolina comment there are plenty of Hispanics there as well. Just not nearly as many illegals. Florida is king in that respect. What is wrong with good ole boy central suburban Atlanta? At least they speak our national language English in some form or another. I guess you prefer good ole boy illegal non-English speaking central instead.

The $20 per hour thing, well that is not NC. That was the autoworkers and other factories in the Midwest. A guaranteed high paying job right out of high school for life. Those were the days.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 AM

578 posts, read 1,772,407 times
Let me tell you that if you go from PSL to West Palm in 25 minutes that equals an average of about 100mph. Either your going to get a ticket or your going to die. It takes on average between fifty minutes to an hour on good days to get from PSL to WPB. I should know because I travel from Miami to PSL at least 3 times a month.

With that kind of statistic who could believe the rest of your statistics.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
Let me tell you that if you go from PSL to West Palm in 25 minutes that equals an average of about 100mph. Either your going to get a ticket or your going to die. It takes on average between fifty minutes to an hour on good days to get from PSL to WPB. I should know because I travel from Miami to PSL at least 3 times a month.

With that kind of statistic who could believe the rest of your statistics.

Who are you referring to? If you are addressing my post, please read again.

Psouth insists there are no jobs in PSL. Many people believe everyone in PSL works in Palm Beach County. I am showing that based on CITY DATA statistics, the average commute time is less than half an hour, which means that "everyone" cannot possibly be working in Palm Beach County, and indeed, only something like 10-15% do.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Who are you referring to? If you are addressing my post, please read again.

Psouth insists there are no jobs in PSL. Many people believe everyone in PSL works in Palm Beach County. I am showing that based on CITY DATA statistics, the average commute time is less than half an hour, which means that "everyone" cannot possibly be working in Palm Beach County, and indeed, only something like 10-15% do.

I think very many posters here don't even realize that City Data has the stats pages with the data for each city that we reference.

They just land on forums and start posting away, making claims based on their research out of their car windows.

Several times posters have claimed that every single person in Florida is "old really old" when reality is seniors over 65 are the lower percentage in the state stats at 17% and PA coming in at 15%. I'm from PA. Nobody goes running around complaining about all the "very very old people". It's ridiculous, and just here. The US average for the same time and age was 12%.

"Travel time to work" 20 to 30 minute range super high, >35 min very low, there's also this data:

Daytime population change due to commuting: -20,080 (-22.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 11,841 (30.4%)

//www.city-data.com/city/Port-S...e-Florida.html

Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 AM

578 posts, read 1,772,407 times
Ok it is exactly 50 miles give or take 1 or 2 tenths of a mile from the Gatlin road exit on 95 to Southern Blvd which is in downtown WPB. If you go 50 miles in 25 minutes how fast are you going? I gave that as a reference because it depends on where you live in PSL and where you are going in Palm Beach County. BTW Gatlin is at the south end of the county and Southern is in the middle of Palm Beach county. My milage estimates are conservitive.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I think very many posters here don't even realize that City Data has the stats pages with the data for each city that we reference.

They just land on forums and start posting away, making claims based on their research out of their car windows.

Several times posters have claimed that every single person in Florida is "old really old" when reality is seniors over 65 are the lower percentage in the state stats at 17% and PA coming in at 15%. I'm from PA. Nobody goes running around complaining about all the "very very old people". It's ridiculous, and just here. The US average for the same time and age was 12%.

"Travel time to work" 20 to 30 minute range super high, >35 min very low, there's also this data:

Daytime population change due to commuting: -20,080 (-22.6%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 11,841 (30.4%)

//www.city-data.com/city/Port-S...e-Florida.html
Who can believe all the data on here. Maybe as a guide but that's about it. 17% of the population aged 65 and over is huge and the most in the country if not the world. What about age 55 and over? Not that age 55 is old but it is considered senior status. By the way Western PA has the second oldest population in the country to Florida and people do nothing but complain about that there also. The elderly hold everything back to their liking as they do in Florida. Philadelphia is a different story but that is a nightmare in itself.

Only 11,000 people work in PSL itself? That is supposed to be a good statistic. Out of 130,000 population? I am not impressed. Most of those jobs have to be retail and some customer service and schools/city. No big high paying industry to attract people. There are some jobs but as I said not nearly enough to expect to live there and earn a very good living. It is hard enough in Palm Beach County and other places. If the jobs in PSL are so great people wouldn't be leaving and losing their homes.

By the way it takes 45-60 minutes commuting from PSL to Palm Beach County. I know plenty that do it every day and they don't even go very deep into West Palm Beach and more on the north end.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
Ok it is exactly 50 miles give or take 1 or 2 tenths of a mile from the Gatlin road exit on 95 to Southern Blvd which is in downtown WPB. If you go 50 miles in 25 minutes how fast are you going? I gave that as a reference because it depends on where you live in PSL and where you are going in Palm Beach County. BTW Gatlin is at the south end of the county and Southern is in the middle of Palm Beach county. My milage estimates are conservitive.
They might be thinking more of Stuart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach