Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 10:40 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,417,471 times

Advertisements

Looking at a few condo options priced between 100-150k and I'm curious about the insurance piece. Research I've seen online says to expect to pay around $1k/year for condo insurance which covers the interior dwelling, belongings and liability.

Does that sound reasonable for condos in that price range? Most of the properties are in Martin County if that means anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 11:30 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,298,558 times
That sounds way high unless your ocean front . We live in a townhouse 8 miles from the ocean in St Lucie county and ours is under 700.00 and its insured like a Single Fam home Ho-3 policy. Call around

Old 09-04-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
That sounds way high unless your ocean front . We live in a townhouse 8 miles from the ocean in St Lucie county and ours is under 700.00 and its insured like a Single Fam home Ho-3 policy. Call around
That's helpful - thanks!

Old 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,171,748 times
every address will have a quote from an insurance company. It also depends on a lot more things like the age of the building, concrete or not, how close to the water, etc. You have to ask for each one to get an accurate quote. SOME condos are set up like HOA's others are not. You need to find out first - ASK THEM and see the documents.

His TOWNHOUSE is not set up like a CONDO....

Old 09-07-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
every address will have a quote from an insurance company. It also depends on a lot more things like the age of the building, concrete or not, how close to the water, etc. You have to ask for each one to get an accurate quote. SOME condos are set up like HOA's others are not. You need to find out first - ASK THEM and see the documents.

His TOWNHOUSE is not set up like a CONDO....
I really don't need that level of detail because I'm not looking for an "accurate" quote - if I'm assuming not waterfront and the common build type for the area and average age of local condos with HOA's (all we've looked at have HOA's) what's the average expense for condo insurance and assuming I want to add flood insurance as well what's that going to run even if I'm on 2nd floor? Trying to get a better, but higher side idea of a budget range for us - most HOA's we've seen are between $325-400/mo with some exceptions on both ends.

So, my monthly formula was looking like:

HOA - $410
Condo insurance - $83
Flood insurance - $31
Mortgage @ 5% 30/yr fixed
3.5% down (if I can find FHA since we're "new" home buyers - 5% otherwise) saving cash for other investment properties - which triggers PMI in most cases unless I can find a 15/15 ARM or other LPMI product)
Taxes - 0.91% Martin County (haven't looked at St Lucie yet)

and then finally my overall monthly payment desire to back into the purchase price max.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,366,285 times
Default Loss assessment coverage

Be certain to get loss assessment coverage and read the policy carefully to make certain that you don't need a special endorsement on the loss assessment policy in order to provide protection against hurricane damage.

https://www.esurance.com/info/condo/...overage-claims

It's important to assess whether your condo association carries adequate coverage, such an appropriate amount of umbrella insurance. If your association has only excess loss coverage, and not an umbrella, likely the condo board is being hoodwinked by an insurance agent IMO, or opting for cheaper coverage, making a good loss assessment policy even more important, especially if the condo association has inadequate hurricane/flood insurance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrel...ersus_umbrella

Demand a copy of the condo association insurance policy before finalizing the purchase decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach