Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 11:01 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,338,750 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I live in Vero Beach and was wondering if any of you have replaced your barrel tile roof. If you have, can you please tell me how much you paid and how long did the original tile roof last.

Our HOA is in the process of revisiting our by-laws etc. We are required to replace our roofs with barrel or S tile roofs which, by time we have to do so (10 yrs or less), it may be cost prohibitive.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,399,698 times
I live in SW Miami and I have to replace mine...It was new right after Hurricane Andrew, but by the Spring 2019 a new one has to go up..Our home is very small..3 Bedrooms 2 baths and one FLAT ROOF 1 car Garage without tiles of course.

Not one proposal came in at under $16,000 for the entire place, and of course the entire place has to be reroofed.

So after a lot of researching, we are now at the point of trying to get reall cheap financing and or interest free financing for a few years so that we can move on with the project..

Boy oh boy, I miss the years in West Central Fla with the cheaper shingled roofs...Mom had her replaced in the Clearwater Area just under 5 months ago, a home just a tad smaller than ours for $6,000...But I also live in a HOA Area and Barrel Tile has to do/be used.

I know I will get ALL my money when I sell, but for now...It hurts

Old 09-20-2018, 04:03 PM

30,168 posts, read 20,887,963 times
I wanna go metal next. My roof is coming due in about 4 years.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:40 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,323,707 times
The tile generally lasts virtually forever. The cost is in the labor of removing it and putting it back up.

The underlayment tends to need to be replaced at varying times, depending on what they did to it when it was done. You can go anywhere from 20 years to upwards of 40 years it just depends on what they did.

Tile roofs are not cheap. Metal is by far the better option.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:20 PM

540 posts, read 584,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I wanna go metal next. My roof is coming due in about 4 years.
I love, love , love the metal roof look. Cheaper than tile from what I'm told. Lasts a long time as well. Looks so cool though.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:34 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,399,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
I love, love , love the metal roof look. Cheaper than tile from what I'm told. Lasts a long time as well. Looks so cool though.
No kiddin', houses just look so niiiiiiice with them...unfortunately I can't ... The HOA will not let anyone slip out the Tiled Roofs here..

Old 09-24-2018, 04:39 PM

33 posts, read 31,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
No kiddin', houses just look so niiiiiiice with them...unfortunately I can't ... The HOA will not let anyone slip out the Tiled Roofs here..

Dunno if your HOA would go for it but you can get metal that's shaped and colored to look like tile.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 PM

540 posts, read 584,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Dunno if your HOA would go for it but you can get metal that's shaped and colored to look like tile.
This is true. Doesn't look as cool though.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:59 PM

51 posts, read 87,860 times
Check out this program.

Don't know if it applies to tile roofs, though. There is a number to call for questions.

Interest free. It's a legit home improvement program.

I just recently started seeing commercials for it.

It's a very intersting concept and a win/win for cities and homeowners

good luck!

https://ygrene.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach