Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,789 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm living in NJ but will be checking out some areas in Florida on the east and west coast to be nearer to my daughter who lives in the Orlando vicinity. We have lived near the ocean in NJ so having my home closer to the ocean appeals to both of us.
Vero Beach seems like an amazing beach community with gorgeous beaches.
I am very active (will need to find a good gym) and love that there is a local theatre and museum. I also love farm markets and towns that like to celebrate the holidays and community events. I hope to find a small part-time job and also do some volunteer work.
I probably will rent first but ultimately buy a 2 bedroom condo or villa with a budget max not exceeding $200,000, and with any COD fees not exceeding $375. I would be open to an over 55 community but have some concerns because I am single (female) and on the younger side of retirement and don't know how I would fit in. I am definitely open to all suggestions.
Also, from the videos I've been watching it seems like the water is beautiful but the waves break strongly right where you enter. Is the surf always pretty rough or are there months when the water is more calm?
Thank you sincerely in advance for anyone taking the time to provide me with their insight and an honest opinion whether Vero Beach would be a good fit.

Happy holidays! Bernadette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
ummmm... thinking you are too young for a 55 and older community. Most of them, if not all --55 is their kids age. Places on the water are much more expensive than might appear. As for the beach - there are beachcams all along the coast so you can actually watch in real time..... https://www.livebeaches.com/?s=vero+beach

Old 12-14-2018, 07:08 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,005 times
If you visit a development, ask them if they have a CDD. If they do, turn and run. It's the biggest scam in Florida right now.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 AM

A CDD is not a scam. CDD stands for Community Development District and is for developing amenities in a community. The amenities are over and above what normal Clubhouse and a pool amenities would be such as additional underground and infrastructure. It is paid off in your taxes and is deductible. It is not an HOA fee.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:54 AM

They actually collect taxes to pay for the streets, sidewalks and other things that should have been included in the building cost. Here in Miami it's a scam. These are private companies managing tax payer dollars. They have bonds that are to be paid off by the home owner and they last 30 years. I mean in 29 years it's not such a bad deal but when your taxes are increased by two or three thousand dollars because of the bonds then it is incredibly hard to sell your house given the high taxes.

Here is another scam. The developer builds an opulent clubhouse far beyond the needs of the community and then gives you a couple of choices when the community is turned over to the property owners. You can buy the clubhouse for a greatly inflated price, have the CDD purchase the clubhouse or they will sell it to the first guy who comes up with the money. Trouble is you are committed to be a member whether you like it or not. If the HOA buys it your dues go through the roof. If the CDD buys it your taxes go up but you get the stability of taxes will be collected and the county assumes the responsibility. Third Joe Shmo can buy it and decide what price he wants to extract from required members. That happened in Doral about 8 years ago.

You really end up with two HOA's since both have separate boards. I will never live in a CDD again.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:22 PM

In some CDD's that are in private developments and sidewalks, street lights, etc. are not built by the city. They are the responsibility of the developer.

In other places the CDD information (such as the clubhouse you mentioned) is spelled out in your documents - if you read them.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:29 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
I agree....CDDs are a BIG scam......run far, far away......

Old 12-20-2018, 06:15 AM

My CDD was given property by the HOA without consulting the home owners or telling us how much the HOA gave away. Why? Because stupid home owners let them and still do not ask questions. I can't get answers because they ignore me. Glad I am selling my house.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,789 times
Thank you all so much for the helpful tips regarding the over 55 community and CDD fees! I will definitely take it into consideration before deciding on a place.

I was in Vero Beach over the holidays..such a beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach