U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 930 times

Advertisements

We have a dilemma with a neighbor from hell and I'm looking for some direction.

We live on a moderately sized lake with a public access sidewalk in our back yard. There are only 3 houses directly on the lake, ours being in the middle of the 3. The ONLY way to access our backyard with a vehicle is to drive around the back by way of an access road that is next to the neighbor's house. There are signs posted that state "no motorized vehicles" (which is meant for no vehicles around the lake according to police). My husband drives his truck into our backyard about 1 time per month for misc access. 1 time to get in and 1 time to get out. He doesn't tear up the grass or do anything to bring attention to himself.
Our neighbor has began to video tape us ( and everyone in the neighborhood) when she feels like her quiet and privacy is violated. She feels as if the sidewalk , grass and lake directly behind her house is for her enjoyment only.
They do not just pick on us, they harass anyone that passes by that may be "disturbing her right to read her Kindle in peace in the backyard". Honestly, we are not nuisance neighbors. We take very good care of our house and lawn, we don't have loud parties or disturb the peace. We have been in our house for 20 years and have never had a problem with anyone in our neighborhood. They moved in 4 yrs ago and have harassed everyone around us ever since.

Tonight, 2 PSL PD officers knocked on our door because my husband drove into our backyard to park a utility trailer. The officers were very nice and understood that we just have petty neighbors with no life. It was very embarrassing because we have NEVER had the police called on us for anything before.

Unfortunately, there is no other way to access our backyard and we are apparently violating a city ordinance, so the law is on her side.
It was suggested by the officers to contact Shannon Martin, our city council woman to see if she can help us, which I will be following up on Monday morning.

My request is if anyone has any other suggestions? Could there be some sort of easement for backyard access that we don't know about?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 12:43 AM

9,978 posts, read 5,326,912 times
My suggestion is to not drive on a sidewalk or other place where it is illegal to drive. Why would anyone think that's okay?

Old 02-10-2019, 03:11 PM

217 posts, read 287,075 times
If I were you I'd contact an attorney who specializes in real estate matters.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2019, 06:47 PM

360 posts, read 646,695 times
I feel like you are not taking responsibility for your actions here. If there are signs that clearly state no motorized vehicles then obey the law. Why are you blaming your neighbor for you not obeying an ordinance?

Also, I can't even think of any houses in my neighborhood (non-HOA) where it is possible for anybody to drive a vehicle into their backyard. Sounds strange to me.

Call me crazy but I side with your neighbor on this.

The reason she probably video tapes is so that you don't try to twist the story or say she is lying.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:52 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,727,133 times
the sign says "no motorized vehicles".....that includes your truck at any time, for any reason. Just like it would for anyone else. I would think since SIGNS are posted that means the access way TO the lake as well. It was meant as a walkway, not a road

Old 08-20-2019, 12:39 PM

596 posts, read 1,116,322 times
If you think that’s bad, how would you like to be told by the HOA BOD that placing a birdbath and a cement bench and a few little lawn ornaments have to be removed because they are encroaching on the preserve area by a few feet, even though you can’t see anything from the front of our house. Talk about miserable people with nothing to do but be petty ! Some people need to get a life !

Old 08-25-2019, 10:11 PM

169 posts, read 77,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
If you think that’s bad, how would you like to be told by the HOA BOD that placing a birdbath and a cement bench and a few little lawn ornaments have to be removed because they are encroaching on the preserve area by a few feet, even though you can’t see anything from the front of our house. Talk about miserable people with nothing to do but be petty ! Some people need to get a life !
Most people buy in gated communities for the conformity. One should expect to be bound by group-think if they want to be part of it. I purposely avoided HOAs for that very reason. Of course the downside to my choice is that there are those who decide that anything goes. It's hard to find a happy medium.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:59 PM
Status: "Rough start to 2021 I was hoping it would be better" (set 25 days ago)

11,832 posts, read 11,541,663 times
As stated you do not have a legal right to travel with a motorized vehicle to your back yard, that's the law. If yard easement was a necessity then you should have chosen a different lot that provides one. Could you drive down your front yard and enter down your side yard? Your neighbor may be a pain but in this case they're right.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:46 AM

622 posts, read 780,036 times
Aren't those signs for other people and not me?

Old 08-31-2019, 10:10 AM

6,328 posts, read 5,475,515 times
What's the size of your easement on the sides of your house, to property line? Isn't PSL 10'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach