Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 07:34 AM

96 posts, read 314,364 times

Advertisements

Hi friends-I've been on this website for years with the hopes of purchasing a "second" smaller home in a warm, relaxing, friendly environment. Well, the day is coming and my husband and I have decide we'd love to purchase in Vero Beach.

I am very interested in purchasing in Grand Harbor, Harmony Island...here's why:

Without boring everyone with minutia and details, I'm searching for a few things....peace, harmony, tranquility, a pool and a few nice people I can mingle with on occasion. My husband and I have had some long-standing marital issues, so our Vero Beach place will essentially be my "she-shed," for lack of a better term. My husband and I are together but I will likely be in Florida with my 2 dogs much more often than with my husband.

We are hoping to indefinitely keep our big ol' historic place in Michigan. I'd love something near the beach, so I could walk and meander with my dogs. Knowing that is undoable on our budget, I think the next best thing for me is a Gated Community with variety. We've been directed to the following, just doing research now 'til January 2021 when we will visit:

1-Grand Harbor, Harmony Island
2-Kenwood Gardens (already visited)
3-Trillium
4-Pointe West
5-Harmony Reserve
6-Vero Lago

For me, the following items are important and Grand Harbor, Harmony Island seem to fit:

1-DOG FRIENDLY areas and DOG FRIENDLY people
2-FRIENDLY KIND people, a must
3-Walkability to a variety of areas within the community (marina, beach, lake, ponds, trails, pools, birds, etc)
4-Safety, of course
5-Option for simple activities (I'm not a golfer...I prefer reading groups, book clubs, cooking groups perhaps)
6-Tropical mature "older" vegetation (no new sand lots).
7-A pretty balcony, or screened in porch/lanai
8-Some OPEN SPACE (if not BETWEEN units, then outside of the units)

MANY of the gated communities (Falcon Trace, Trillium) feel too closed-in for our tastes. The lack of openness and open space feel confining to me. I know I will lose the walkability I have in small town Michigan when I'm in Florida, so walkability within the community is somewhat important. And I will drive to the beach often...boardwalk, etc.

Our budget is flexible if we find a place that feels like home.
I prefer something around 1000 sq feet to 1400 sq feet, given our Michigan home is 2400 sq ft.
So, we could go from $159,000 to $305,000.

I know in Grand Harbor, Harmony Island the HOA fees are $485-$545 to start, which we have to figure into our budget.

As an aside...
Kenwood Gardens. Husband loved it; I feel it's going to be too isolated for me.
Harmony Reserve. Too new, too trendy-ish for me...to expensive.

I'm leaning more towards a resort feeling but I have concerns about living in such a HUGE environment with lots of wealth...

I WELCOME ALL INPUT...PLEASE! I'm also reading other threads about Grand Harbor, etc.

Can you kind folks please help me?

We are visiting Florida during the month of January 2021 to view, tour & purchase.

Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 08:29 AM

If we were ready...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...45260701_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...45260649_zpid/

I would love either one of these two units!

So pretty and the perfect size!

Old 08-09-2020, 11:56 AM

177 posts, read 130,278 times
It does sound like Grand Harbor checks off most of the boxes on your list and the location is great for your lifestyle. I would, however, advise you to maybe eliminate Pointe West off your list. It is a large golf community and the houses are right on top of each other. There are open fields you can take your dogs for walks in, but I would feel claustrophobic living there. Also, the builder there is definitely not the best. Poor quality.

Where is Kenwood Gardens? I live here and have never heard of that area.

I will try and think of some other areas that might suit you and let you know.

You will love it here!

Old 08-09-2020, 03:37 PM

@JF2U thank you so much for replying to my thread! I appreciate it a whole lot! Yes, I am overall excited about Grand Harbor & Harmony Island. I know we will find something suitable for us come January 2021. We really love Vero Beach a whole lot. Having traveled extensively both for leisure and in search of a warm "climate" to call home, there are so many things about the area that my husband and I both love.

Kenwood Gardens is a very small, really pretty gated community situated between 43rd Avenue SW and 5th Street SW, down towards Oslo Road-kinda near the Skate Factory and all. Frankly, I'm not as fond of that part of Vero 'cause it feels all residential and gated to me, with little around but Indian River Mall. Each time we've visited Vero, I've felt partial to the north side of Vero, the Sebastian side. To me, that end seems less built up and less congested. Getting through the hospital and medical/commercial area is another thing but even so, I like the north/northeast side of Vero a whole lot.

As you stated, Grand Harbor does meet nearly all of our needs! I love the fact it is close to Ocean Drive, the beach, the boardwalk & that area, as well as being close to shopping off Indian River Drive and stuff in Sebastian (Indian River area). Because I've had some illnesses and health concerns, being near a hospital and good medical care is very important to both me and my husband.

Your encouragement has been great. If you think of anything else, please post. I'll definitely be out here a whole lot.

And thanks about the Pointe West info. I'm not super fond of what I've seen/heard about the community thus far! Thanks again!

Old 08-09-2020, 05:46 PM

451 posts, read 455,735 times
If I were spliting my time between 2 residences, Id go for something like this: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-44077?view=qv

The Island is beautiful and has a much different vibe than the mainland.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:58 PM

@HarryWhom thank you for taking the time to reply! I appreciate your input very much. Arrggghhhh...just not sure about purchasing a property like the one you listed. The condo is very nice but I'm not sure it would be suitable over time. My husband and I share the hope that we will both land in Vero Beach together "full-time" because we will sell our big Michigan property (sooner versus later). My husband has always dreamed about "resort-type" living.

I'm concerned about Grand Harbor's affordability, along with the overall size of what we can readily afford there. Yet my husband thinks it could work for us. If the size proves limited (if/when we do sell the Michigan place), we talked about moving to something a bit larger, perhaps even in Grand Harbor (if we like the community).

For a variety of reasons, my husband is not thrilled about living on the barrier island. He prefers to look on the Vero mainland. HOA fees, insurance, flooding issues, hurricanes and damage etc all seem to be a greater cost/risk on the barrier island versus not. Me, I don't really have a preference.

Time will tell. I'm trying to stay more in the present and "near future," versus becoming crazy with options that may or may not exist over time. Gotta visit Grand Harbor and other places before I can make any decision, of course.

I'll take another close look at the property you linked. Thanks again for your time!

Last edited by tonilee; 08-09-2020 at 08:11 PM..

Old 08-10-2020, 08:18 AM

177 posts, read 130,278 times
Hi again. I have been thinking of other places for you and the only one I could think of in a great location as well is Fountainhead.

Fountainhead - is a 2 story condo complex on Indian River Boulevard on the east side of Vero Beach, near the 17th street bridge beach access. Fountainhead condos are built around a meandering canal system, providing every unit with a water view. The 2 & 3 bedroom condos all have impact windows and a 1 car garage. The top floor "Penthouse" condos are typically 3 bedroom and have large balconies. Fountainhead is a gated, pet friendly community with clubhouse, pool, fitness room & community BBQ area.

Personally I am still on board with Grand Harbor/Harmony Island. Such a lovely community and close to everything. But, of course, you want to have other options to compare before making your final decision.

If I think of anything else I will let you know. (I'm excited for you!)

Old 08-10-2020, 09:50 AM

JF2U oh, thank you! You are so sweet and kind to continue following my journey! I am excited, too but of course, a bit anxious. Sometimes I feel like my husband wants to parcel out me and my two Havanese-smile. I know deep down that is not the case.

My husband is a wonderful guy, he just has an extremely difficult time with change, especially moving domiciles. For him, the notion of me "paving the way" with the next step, then him slowly transitioning down feels most comfortable. I'm much more independent than my husband, so I see "paving the way" as an adventure and an honor. Paving many paths is how I got to be so self-sufficient and industrious in the first place, right?

So he likes the notion of Grand Harbor/Harmony Island. We are in our early (me) and mid (him) 60s...so I fear spending "too" much time apart, should one of us have an emergency of sorts. We have no family, no children, no contacts to speak of (especially not in Michigan). This "alone" situation is why I've learned to circle around people and be grateful for the kindness and friendship (albeit very limited) of strangers. I've never had as hard a time connecting with others as I've had in Michigan. It's a long story. I know Florida will be a good fit for me and a much better fit than Michigan.

Let's keep in touch! I'm going to call our realtor later today and gather her input about Grand Harbor/Harmony Island. I'm anxious to hear her input. Thanks again and I'll keep posting!

Old 09-19-2020, 03:24 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlutenFreeMe View Post
Vero beach is bad joke
Welcome back!

Old 09-19-2020, 04:32 PM

So, I got notified that I had a few new messages to my thread and I must say I am confused. Vero Beach...a "bad joke." I chatted with my husband earlier when this reply came in and my husband said, "Well, I suppose ANY PLACE is a bad joke, depending on what a person is seeking." So true, right? Depending on what type of lifestyle one seeks...

I'm sorta an old soul...and just feeling old. I lived in Manhattan NYC for 20 years, as well as many other BIG cities---East Coast. My days of finger-popping (husband's phrase) are over and done...no interest. All of that doesn't interest me anymore and the places I love are all getting TOO DANGEROUS to live in, for me...that's my opinion. Plus, I just cannot justify the money, taxes, etc...and the weather is harsh in the east and Mid-Atlantic! I LOVE Los Angeles but at my age and with my budget, I would never move to California. We explored Palm Springs for a long time, as well as Napa Valley, Sacramento...all passes.

Well, my husband and I just decided to take a quick trip down to Vero in October 2020, just three weeks away, to spend some quality time and get some sun before the winter descends upon us here in Michigan. We will still be traveling in January 2021 and staying 2-4 weeks in Sebastian to take a more serious look at a home purchase.

@JF2U I want to thank you again for your time and consideration. I've explored Fountainhead online and yes, it looks really nice. We now have it on our must see list! Here's the small change in my thinking: If my husband and I intend on utilizing a Florida place on a limited basis (initially), I'm not sure it makes sense to put out $500+ per month on HOA fees, especially if we're not going to live there full time. A place like Fountainhead is very nice AND the HOA fees are significantly lower than Grand Harbor/Harmony Island.

With that said, The Moorings still tugs at my heart-smile. But WOW...those places are not inexpensive and many of them need interior updating for sure! Also, to get the beautiful lined windows, the horizontal windows, one needs to purchase a second level unit. I'm not sure I want an upper level in a building without elevators. I'm talking like an old person here!

I also LOVE the Tennis Court Villas...what are they called...Sea Oaks, I think? I don't play tennis and I do not intend to take it up as a hobby! WOW...those HOA fees plus the $20,000+ to buy in? What's up with that?? But I adore the tropical feeling of the place, the location and the huge, screened porches!

Also...our realtor kinda gave the thumbs down to The Fairways, which are not part of Grand Harbor but right across the street. Not sure why our realtor dislikes The Fairways...she didn't elaborate. I think they are sorta nice for what one gets and I like the location. But again, I've never visited The Fairways, so I'm only speaking from photos.

But...we're thinking perhaps we should just think about biting-the-bullet and purchase something simple, basic, super-affordable but nice...something that will give us a base in the area to retreat to. And if we love Vero Beach, we can always trade up-smile-if/when we decide to do so, sell this place in Michigan.

And as an aside, someone told me to check Stuart out again, which we've done. I like Stuart but I'd have to re-visit. It seems a bit busy and touristy for me. But again, I'm not familiar with the area! I enjoyed visiting and I LOVED the dog-friendly beach but something about it didn't grab me!

So:
The Fairways
Fountainhead
Stuart, FL
The Moorings
Sea Oaks

Any input, ideas, comments, criticisms, suggestions??

I hope to hear from you all when you have time! Thanks again!!

Last edited by tonilee; 09-19-2020 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: grammar, additional info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach