U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:33 AM

9 posts, read 28,582 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Md. in July. We like jupiter, tequesta, hobe sound and maybe palm beach gardens. The deciding factor will likely be quality of the schools. In looking at previous posts, it seems Martin County will have the better schools? (please correct me, if I'm wrong). I have a 3rd and 5th grader so am looking beyond elementary to middle and high schools as well. Any suggestions on which area will give us the best schools?
we are looking for a family neighborhood- 1 story house (not too old) on at least 1/2 acre, near the water in the $350-$500 range - no hefty membership fees. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 PM

811 posts, read 1,769,240 times
Default HiYa

Hi 'AC',

We live in NYC and are seeking to move down there as well.

Look for my postings here under Melbourne.

That area is where I was interested....

Just recently looking at Hobe Beach, Jensen etc.

Any reason you picked that area ?
Did you look higher in Brevard Cty ?

Michael

Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 AM

We have been going to Jupiter for almost 20 years (my Dad lives there). Its a beautiful place, the people are friendly and educated, the pace is slower (than the D.C. suburbs I'm used to), the boating is incredible, the arts, great restaurants and shops, nice parks. We started looking for our own house w/ the kids (8&10yo) in mind. We found homes w/ at least 1/2 acre near the water were hard to come by in Palm Beach County so by accident we looked across the county line into Martin Co. We found larger lots, less expensive housing, lower taxes, better schools (i think, I'm still hoping someone local will weigh in on this) and still close enough to Palm Beach Co to enjoy all its amenities.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:19 AM

11 posts, read 39,188 times
Default would love to learn more about Jupiter

Hi, it sounds like you know Jupiter pretty well. We are looking into moving there from minneapolis. I need sunshine! I would love to hear what you know. Schools, neighborhoods, etc. I was surprised to hear that there is so much rain. What are your thoughts and experience with the rain? Do you know how the summers are? What other areas are you looking into? Are you going to do public or private schools for your kids? I appreciate any insight.

One other thing. My in-laws winter in Cape Coral and naturally we have visited many areas of the gulf side. Correct me if I am wrong, but my feeling is that the gulf side is more retirees and vacationers. I get the impression that the Atlantic side draws more full time residents and culture. What do you think?

Thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Summers are very hot and humid (not much worse than D.C. summer) but they last allot longer than someone from up north might be used to. The remedy for me is too live very near the coast where the ocean breezes make it bearable. I guess it rains allot but it seems to be mostly those late afternoon thunder showers from the heat. They pass quickly. I can't speak much about the schools. that's the whole reason I posted here - hoping for someone local to set me straight. we have our kids in private school now (after homeschooling for 2 years) because the public schools here are not good. I hear the public schools in Fl are much better and I'm hoping to put them back into public school. I've heard the schools in northern Palm beach co. are much better than than the southern part of the county and I've heard Martin Co. schools may be better and less crowded but I'm still hoping for someone more knowledgable than I to weigh in...

Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 AM

896 posts, read 4,004,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acparrett View Post
We are relocating from Md. in July. We like jupiter, tequesta, hobe sound and maybe palm beach gardens. The deciding factor will likely be quality of the schools. In looking at previous posts, it seems Martin County will have the better schools? (please correct me, if I'm wrong). I have a 3rd and 5th grader so am looking beyond elementary to middle and high schools as well. Any suggestions on which area will give us the best schools?
we are looking for a family neighborhood- 1 story house (not too old) on at least 1/2 acre, near the water in the $350-$500 range - no hefty membership fees. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
I'm not terribly familiar with Martin County but I used to live along Loxahatchee River Road in Jupiter and subdivisions such as Eagle's Nest (neighborhood access to boat dock), Whispering Trails, Fox Run and Imperials Woods all have .5 - 1 acre lots and are close to the Loxahatchee River. All of these subdivisions have small homeowners associations. Whispering Trails' association takes care of common grounds and cable TV. I loved the area. It seemed out of the way but it was only 5 minutes to Indiantown Rd. The local elementary school is an A and I'm pretty sure the middle and high school have good ratings. Of course, you can also look into Jupiter Farms. The lots are very large depending on the house and it's more of a "country" feel. The local elementary school is small and very close knit with a strong PTF association. My friend's girls attend there and they love it! Another friend's daughter attends Limestone Creek and is very happy there too (she actually lives in Gardens and drives her daughter there every day).

Old 05-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Thanks! Actually we have looked extensively at the Lox River rd area and love it! We've narrowed down our choices to buying off Lox River Rd or building in Hobe Hills. We're trying to compare schools (Limestone Creek, Jupiter M.S. , jupiter H.S.) vs (Hobe Sound Elem, Murray M.S., South Fork H.S.).

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 PM

896 posts, read 4,004,521 times
You might want to put up another thread comparing those two things. I'm sure lots of people would chime in.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 PM

449 posts, read 1,064,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acparrett View Post
Martin County schools are excellent! My son attended jensen beach elementary from K-6 and loved it! He excelled in their reading program, competed in spelling bees, played on a great baseball team, and made lots of great friends. The teachers are wonderful, the new Jensen Beach High School is wonderful, from what I hear. Lots of A rated schools in Martin County. Unfortunately I have been gone for a little over a year, but planning to go back. Can't really give you too many details about pricing on homes, but you are welcome to pm me, I can refer you to a great lady who can, or speak to her myself for you. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:05 AM

17 posts, read 68,994 times
Martin County hands down has the better schools! Your choices for schools are perfect. That being said, I love where we live in the Palm Beach Gardens area. I homeschool, but if I wasn't, I would send my kids to the Weiss School or the Benjamin school. Public school wouldn't even be considered. Hobe Hills is a nice area. If you can afford it, there's a little house on the water on Prosperity Farms road in Palm Beach Gardens. That gives you ocean access.

I love Gardens, my kids can take part in activities in North Palm, Gardens, Tequesta, Jupiter without any problems or long commutes. It's a pocket neighborhood, lower taxes, easy distance to shopping, highways, and activities. We're ten minutes from the beach (3 miles).

We almost bought in Hobe Hills, so I would have to say, if we didn't live here, we'd probably live in Hobe Hills. Good luck, and enjoy your So. Florida adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach