Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 06:38 PM

174 posts, read 503,177 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier that my entire family wants to move to Florida my parents are recently retired I'm single early 30s and my sister and her husband are late 20s with kids. I've got a retail management background brother in law's a mechanic.

We've been all over the state but mostly the Gulf side as we are from MI. My sister and brother in law originally wanted Daytona but my parents say its too busy and they seem to have this impression that the entire east coast is Daytona/Miami. They are going to house hunt in Spring Hill area in the fall but I've got my concerns about Spring Hill area namely crime, sinkholes etc. Plus it just seems like it is just one big housing tract.

I've been looking at the cost of housing down there and it seems to fit my family's budget. We've got a hot housing market here in the West MI area and my parents will probably sell out at 350k (fully paid off) and downsize. Sister and brother in law have a starter home and they are going to be probably looking at something similar. So I'm thinking under the 300k range for them the biggest thing is finding an area of FL they can afford since they got kids they want a single family home. I myself expect to rent but I've seen a lot of manufactured homes for pretty cheap down there that I could live in until I get something bigger.

I'm just curious how busy it is down there. It seems like it is separated from the main island area (where we wouldn't live but beach access within a reasonable drive is a plus). I know anywhere in Florida can get busy at certain times of year but by busy I mean Daytona or Miami busy. Also how are crime and schools? Is it a better bet than Spring Hill or Port Charlotte (two other areas of possibility)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 07:04 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
I have in-laws living in Vero Beach, and I’ve visited a number of times in the fall and the winter. It never seems super crowded to me.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:53 AM

786 posts, read 626,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
I posted earlier that my entire family wants to move to Florida my parents are recently retired I'm single early 30s and my sister and her husband are late 20s with kids. I've got a retail management background brother in law's a mechanic.

We've been all over the state but mostly the Gulf side as we are from MI. My sister and brother in law originally wanted Daytona but my parents say its too busy and they seem to have this impression that the entire east coast is Daytona/Miami. They are going to house hunt in Spring Hill area in the fall but I've got my concerns about Spring Hill area namely crime, sinkholes etc. Plus it just seems like it is just one big housing tract.

I've been looking at the cost of housing down there and it seems to fit my family's budget. We've got a hot housing market here in the West MI area and my parents will probably sell out at 350k (fully paid off) and downsize. Sister and brother in law have a starter home and they are going to be probably looking at something similar. So I'm thinking under the 300k range for them the biggest thing is finding an area of FL they can afford since they got kids they want a single family home. I myself expect to rent but I've seen a lot of manufactured homes for pretty cheap down there that I could live in until I get something bigger.

I'm just curious how busy it is down there. It seems like it is separated from the main island area (where we wouldn't live but beach access within a reasonable drive is a plus). I know anywhere in Florida can get busy at certain times of year but by busy I mean Daytona or Miami busy. Also how are crime and schools? Is it a better bet than Spring Hill or Port Charlotte (two other areas of possibility)?

Vero Beach is not busy at all. I lived there for many years and it has been noted by locals there as Zero Beach, because there is very little going on. Small Town Retirement Vibe for sure. There is the beach, decent boating, but Arts/Entertainment/Education is very lacking.

Having lived in South and being stuck in Central Florida with high Crime, Traffic, and General Chaos makes Vero a lot more appealing to me now, but the lack of employment opportunities would prevent me from ever returning.

I would highly advise against buying a mobile home to test your tolerance in Vero though. Why pay $150 to $200k plus paying association, maintenance, insurance, ect. fees when you can rent and have the flexibility to move whenever. Rent isnt cheap there, but not Miami/Orlando bad. If you find anything at a lower price you are looking at a money pit or very undersirable location or people to live around. You can find yourself losing money that way really easy too.

Retail is really tough there, research the salaries on Indeed to make sure you can afford the downgrade. An auto mechanic can always find work, but he will most likely be walking away from a lot of money too. I started off as an apprentice at a dealership, worked my way through multiple ASE Certs and ended up making more money working independently, buying-fixing-and-flipping while bartending on the side (which eventually became more lucrative than turning wrenches).

Old 05-04-2021, 06:09 AM

300 posts, read 475,440 times
I moved to Vero Beach last fall and I am happy with my choice. I spent a lot time searching Florida for a home the last few years and I was looking for a smaller town that wasn't congested. The beach area/Orchid Island was busy this season. The visits by Canadians were down this year due to the pandemic travel restrictions. There are a lot of snowbird homes in the area. As typical of Florida, there are a lot of retirees in the area and I am one of them. I can't comment on the schools, but it is a safe area. Traffic is not bad like other areas of Florida.

I was surprised by the arts scene for a smaller town. There is a nice museum and it had an Andy Warhol touring exhibit last year. There are activities if you have the time and money. Health care is improving due to the Cleveland Clinic taking over the local hospital.

The large mall is mostly empty with only Dillards and JCPenney left. There is outlet mall and it is about half full. Brick and mortar retailing is dying all over the country and you see a lot Amazon vans all over town. There are big box retailers and they are busy. I do see help wanted signs at the Target and other stores, but I can't comment on jobs. I wouldn't move without a job if you need the income.

Houses are moving and you have to act quickly to get a nice resale. My house has already increased in value. There is a lot of new construction going on and those houses are being sold before they are finished. I am seeing a lot vehicles with NY; NJ; MI and CA license plates and it is late in the season. Those states are losing population and Florida is increasing. The real estate taxes are high compared to areas where I lived in VA and NC (on the coast). Be sure to research property tax before you purchase a home. You can check out housing prices by researching Zillow and Realtor.com

If you want a larger area with more options you might want to look Melbourne/Palm Bay to the north. Port St Lucie to the south. These are larger areas but not like Daytona. The rule of thumb in Florida is the farther south you go the higher the prices. I got a good deal on my homeowners insurance due to having a barrel roof; hurricane impact windows and newer construction. I am hearing that insurance for more traditional houses is expected to increase quickly and some companies are leaving the state.

Last edited by Mr. Purple 2; 05-04-2021 at 06:27 AM..

Old 05-06-2021, 08:48 PM

453 posts, read 301,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
Vero Beach is not busy at all. I lived there for many years and it has been noted by locals there as Zero Beach, because there is very little going on. Small Town Retirement Vibe for sure. There is the beach, decent boating, but Arts/Entertainment/Education is very lacking.

That's literally untrue. Nobody at ALL calls it Zero Beach now. I imagine you haven't been here for decades.

There are so many people moving here, there's literally a snowbird invasion vibe all year long.

And every school has been expanded like crazy so it's not some "retirement vibe".

Everything's expanded: housing booming, houses selling in ONE DAY, the airport, the marina, parking is a big issue at the beach. Before Covid, TONS of new restaurants rolling out including several breweries - all still operational.

LARGE investments made. $10 million Intergenerational Center for a dying town? NO.

People writing articles about 42 restaurants for a dying town? NOPE.

42 restaurant guide to eating in Vero Beach, Florida,

Old 06-18-2021, 02:31 PM

26 posts, read 34,254 times
It's safe, quiet, and not busy at all. It has a little downtown, but I would call the town overall suburban/rural. I'm not familiar with Spring Hill or Port Charlotte, so I can't compare them. I also don't know what the schools are like. It is separated from the ocean (except for the part of expensive homes on the island), but about a half hour drive. I would caution you that many, and probably most mobile home communities in Florida are restricted to senior citizens. That is also where most of the cheaper ones are, along with some rv parks, which are often kind of seedy. I only know of one all-ages mobile home park in Vero, and none except an rv park off the top of my head in Ft. Pierce or other nearby towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach