Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,515 times

Advertisements

Hi,....I just moved OUT of Vero Beach and, back to Colorado where I was raised.
I lived in Vero for a year directly on the beach (just south of Sebastian inlet).
My Mom and Sister are still mad at me for moving back to Colorado.
My question is this,.....What could I have done to get more "used to it?)

I know that some think I am crazy for NOT liking being on the beach (really really too close for comfort). I walked everyday collecting shells, saw things that one can't see on a vacation,.....but, I looked like I had lepracy with all of the no-seeums and fireants!! Never even saw an alligator!!
I left most all of my possesions there ( rusted beyond belief). I never ever felt clean ( because of bugs and the jungle).
I CAN go back anytime I want but, I just can't seem to hang with the humidity!
I DO miss the restaurants and Publix!
I was on the treasure coast on a private beach. I have to say I was spoiled and, did love the privacy. But, dang....how does one deal with the no-seeumms.
I do miss the sea turtles, and have many pics and movies of their nests ( and the hatchlings).
How does anyone deal with the feeling of musty. moldy, buggy, feeling?
I soooo want to be there for my Mom and Sister but, I just don't know how to adjust! Does anyone have any pointers??

Thank You so much for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 06:05 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Every individual has his/her own desires and needs and maybe the location was not for you. Happen to many individuals and families.

Can you tell us about your memories of the area? What you like or dislike (If you so desire). But if you are happy at Colorado, congratulations, is a great choice...

Old 07-13-2008, 02:02 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Sheridan, I live in VB, about 20 minutes west of the beaches, and I don't even know what a no-seeum is. It sounds like your beach house was surrounded by jungle, thus the bugs. Come back down and try inland... nothing rusts, no no-seeums but you have to drive to the beach.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 13,740 times
OMG! I just read your post and I couldnt believe it. It was like reading about myself! I lived in Vero Beach quite some time ago (mid 80's) and it was horrible! I hated the same exact things you did and never got used to it. Luckily my family moved us back home to Washington state. Its funny b/c even though I was only 12, I remember it like it was yesterday. Always muggy and moldy and creepy crawlers everywhere. Its funny b/c my husband and I live in North Dallas with our 3 kids and a job opportunity has opened up for him in the Orlando area. I just cringe at the thought, but im hoping that maybe I'll have a higher tolerance. My husband is completely intolerant of snakes as well, so we'll have to see what happens. Dont feel bad about not being able to please your family...its just not an area for you. Its maybe better to visit them then live there miserable all the time.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 16,525 times
I spent 20 years plus in Vero and loved every minute of it. While the no seeum's can be bad at times there is this wonderful new product called "OFF." I can see why the humidity would bother someone coming from the mountains, just like when I go to Colorado and feel ill with the alititude. There are trade off's for everything. The rust is part of life living next to the coast. After all the ocean is saltwater.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:43 PM

39 posts, read 124,222 times
Default To each

RAISED IN VERO NEAR THE DRIFTWOOD INN. WAS IN VERO FOR 38 YEARS AND ALL I CAN SAY IS I NEVER LIKED IT. "IT" BEING FLORIDA THAT IS...HOWEVER, IF YOU HAVE TO BE STUCK IN FLORIDA, YOU CAN DO WORSE THAN THE ISLAND. I HAD SOME GREAT TIMES THERE, BUT I NEVER REALLY LIKED THE BEACH AND THE HEAT AND THE BUGS AND ON AND ON........SO, I MOVED TO PA AND HAVE BEEN HERE FOR 4 YEARS AND LOVE IT. FOR ME, THE MOUNTAINS AND THE STREAMS AND THE SEASONS ARE ALL THAT I'D HOPED FOR AND MORE. I BELIEVE EVERYONE HAS A CERTAIN FEEL FOR THE ENVIRONMENT THEY ENJOY. i'M NOT SURE HOW TO EXPLAIN IT. YOU NEVER REALLY GET USED TO ANYTHING..IT HAS TO BE INSIDE YOU......WHEN I TOLD MY FATHER I WAS MOVING UP NORTH AFTER LIVING MY ENTIRE LIFE IN FL....HE SAID HE WASN'T SURPRISED....I'D BEEN SAYING I WANTED TO LIVE UP NORTH SINCE HE COULD REMEMBER. EVER SINCE I WAS VERY YOUNG. WEIRD EHH.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:33 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Dehumidifier and A/C...and a boat

Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Dehumidifier and A/C...and a boat
We cannot wait to get to FL. I'll take the warm weather any day.
Its a typical cloudy day in OH. Seems like you don't see the sun for days. I'm sure the humid days will be brutal. One flip of the switch and here comes the AC.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 24,367 times
Default I will be there too!

I know I won't care about the humidity or creepy crawlers, or the heat!

I will be in FL in about a month, and I know I will enjoy my winter there. Of course, I'll buy OFF and whatever I need to enjoy my stay in FL.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:47 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,857 times
Better than buying a snow shovel I'll take OFF anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach