Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:32 AM

6 posts, read 11,808 times

Advertisements

PSLOT and J.R. You two should consider meetup.com and start an ativity group I would be there with bells on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,957 times
J.R. lost interest in the forum and that Valentine's Day posting was her last. We actually did have a back channel conversation to figure out who each other was, and while we talked about it, our respective families never did get together. We actually lived in extraordinarily different worlds.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 11,808 times
Wow, I didn't even notice the posting dates.
Its hard to keep track of all the threads you remark in unless the site emails you when comments are made... this one doesn't. I don't stay on any forum long myself, too busy. I'm not surprised she didn't stay.
But I love activites and don't have time to organize everything. I've found most groups do get togethers that are too far south and not child friendly, so it was refreshing to hear your overview of PSL and really you should head up a group on meetup.com, I'm sure you'll have a great response of people. I belong to several groups there, but I'd love one that focuses on a specific community thats closer to home.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:04 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,014 times
Is PSL gang infested? Please be honest as I am very close to considering moving there as husband has a job interview next week. I have 5 children one of whom is handicapped. I really need honest input.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
momix, Port St. Lucie was once ranked the safest city of its size IN THE NATION. It has slipped down the rankings as the population has grown, but it still ranks as one of only TWO cities in Florida that make the "least crime" rankings.

Every city and town has gangs, including Port St. Lucie, but Port St. Lucie is especially unsusceptible to gang activity due to its low density housing and lack of ghetto areas. Port St. Lucie is not perfect, it's not unrivaled paradise, and yes, there IS crime. PSL has a reputation for "pot houses" --- suburban homes being bought and used as grow houses.... every now and then a new house will be exposed.... but the houses are so well kept that even the neighbors never know!

But really, it's not a bad place to live and I would say that gang activity is extremely minimal. A phone call to the Port St. Lucie police could probably assuage your fears. I DO know that the police in Port St. Lucie are pretty serious about keeping PSL from becoming gang infested.

There are a couple of neighborhoods that are "lower income" (Windmill Point and Parks Edge, for example) that you may want to steer clear of simply because there are a lot of young poorer kids that are tempted by gangs... but even THOSE neighborhoods I wouldn't classify as "bad"... just... poorer.

Overall it's is a middle class town that has recently gone through growing pains, but there's SOMETHING attracting all those new residents!!

Old 08-23-2007, 12:23 PM

Thank you!

Old 08-23-2007, 12:59 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,957 times
There are some so-called gangs at some high schools in Port St. Lucie and some kids belong to them. There are also some gangs at some high schools in Peoria, and some gangs at some high schools in Iowa, and some gangs in some high schools in Kansas, and some kids belong to them. There are some gangs in Martin County to the south and some gangs in Indian River County to the north and some kids belong to them. There are some gangs in high schools in Wellington and some gangs in Weston and some kids belong to them.

Some kids parents don't care.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM

In college psych classes we learned that a lot of children that join gangs are looking for a family, it is really becoming a nationwide problem.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:05 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
Port Saint Lucie is not a very exciting area and I have a feeling the crime, gangs, violence, etc. will move up there in a few years.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Default Well, that's good news!

PBCboy says:

Quote:
I have a feeling the crime, gangs, violence, etc. will move up there in a few years.
When even a non-PSL fan like PBCboy posts that the area is currently relatively free of problems, and will stay that way for a few years, potential residents can be far more comfortable with their impending move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach