Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 PM

22 posts, read 151,628 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are planning to move to Florida at the end of the year. I have been looking into the Port St. Lucie area. We are early 30th, no children. Looking for an affordable mid-class, mid-sized city with plenty to do, but with a "homy" feel. How is the shopping, restaurants, & leisure activities there? How about the beaches around there, are they nice? Also, on the gulf side, they have to deal with "red tide". Do you have that on the Atlantic side too? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 02:50 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branson205 View Post
My husband & I are planning to move to Florida at the end of the year. I have been looking into the Port St. Lucie area. We are early 30th, no children. Looking for an affordable mid-class, mid-sized city with plenty to do, but with a "homy" feel. How is the shopping, restaurants, & leisure activities there? How about the beaches around there, are they nice? Also, on the gulf side, they have to deal with "red tide". Do you have that on the Atlantic side too? Thanks for any input!
Hi
I live here in PSL, but will move hopefully soon.
Anyway......if you don't have any kids, PSL will be just fine to live. But, if you prefer activities (my husband and I are in our 30's as well) you will have to drive down to West Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale/Miami and Orlando to find some good museums, shops, clubs. There is NOTHING around here in PSL, I am sure you are used to!
It is BORING!!! (I'll take that back if you are into latino festivals etc. which are in Stuart, and carnivals and that sort of thing!)
Anyway, there are 2 access beaches here (since PSL is not bordering onto an ocean)...The one is in Fort Pierce, the other in Jensen Beach. (There is NO direct way/ street to get to the beach from here)
The nicer beaches are starting down at about Jupiter, where the water actually takes on a turquoise color. the water/ beach here have coarse sand (starting in Jupiter, they have powder), and we do have the same problems with the water conditions just like everywhere else. Palm Beach had a yellyfish warning not to long ago, and sharks sometimes move in VERY close. Like I said, just like every other place with an ocean.
Housing prices are going down, but other things are going up.....
Do yourself a favor and visit here first, do some research, before you make the move here.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Thanks MovingBack2PA...

I appreciate your honest advise! You're not the only person that has given me the same sort of opinions about PSL. I will definately do MORE checking into other areas! Thanks so much!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,819 times
I have lived in Port St. Lucie for nearly 35 years, and I totally disagree with MovingBack2PA. There is plenty to do in Port St. Lucie and nearby areas. I have not traveled to West Palm Beach or Miami often in the 35 years, and only to Orlando for the same things that almost every does, no matter where they live -- the theme parks.

My wife and I were 32 years old when we moved here in 1972, and our kids were 2-1/2 and 1 year old. There were few young families in those early days (the city was originally planned as a retirement community), but we were never bored. We did have to make our own fun -- Breakfast with Santa, Easter Egg rolls, Halloween haunted houses, parades, summer vacation schools at the churches and, of course, Little League (baseball, softball, football and soccer). It seemed like we were living our lives for our kids. The city is loaded with parks, fields, gym, skateboard park and much more. There is boating, fishing, the beaches within a reasonable distance. There are so many kids the County is currently building 5 new schools at once, soon after opening an average of 2 schools per year the last few years.

The City is constructing a new area called the City Center, with a performing arts center, but in the meantime, there is an active Community center across from city hall with many events. As for museums, the St. Lucie County Historical Society has a museum in Fort Pierce, the Martin County Historical Society has a museum on Hutchinson Island, the national Seal Museum is on North Hutchison Island (because almost all of the WWII Frogmen trained there, the forerunners of Seals), there is a Manatee Center in Fort Pierce, Heathcote Botanical Gardens in Fort Pierce and more.

The Sunrise Theater in Fort Pierce was recently completely renovated as a performing arts center. It has 1200 seats and is home to many types of performances. I prefer the classics, and this season are presentations of 6 operas (La Boheme, Turandot, La Traviata, The Student Prince, Rigoletto and Don Giovanni), the Russian Ballet, and several symphony orchestra performances, including the local Treasure Coast Symphony Orchestra (which my daughter and son both played in before they went to college) and the Treasure Coast Youth Orchestra. The Indian River Community College has many productions every year, in their peforming arts center and their state-of-the-art Black Box Theater. I most recently saw a review of songs from Sondheim plays at the Black Box.

There are fairs and carnivals, of course, like in most other areas. The St. Lucie County Fair runs for about 2 weeks. Just like any other area, there are movie theaters, a brand-new family center with modern bowling lanes and other attractions, Gold's Gym and much more. The NY Mets do their Spring training in Tradition Stadium, and the farm league St. Lucie Mets play a full schedule all Summer. Port St. Lucie is becoming a major golfing center with many professional courses, and is the home of the national PGA golf teaching school. PSL is also home to the only Club Med on the mainland United States, and many of their facilities are open to the public.

Shopping is pretty much the same as any bedroom community; there are 3 Walmart Super Centers and 2 Sam's Clubs either open or under construction, a fairly decent mall nearby with Dillards, Macys, etc., and many boutique shops -- although many are located in nearby Fort Pierce and Stuart. Almost every chain restaurant you can think of is represented, and there are several local restaurants of good quality. You can gear your evening almost any way you like. For example, before we enjoyed the recent performance of Pucini's Turandot, which takes place in Peking, my wife and I enjoyed dinner at the Peking Restaurant to get "in the mood". However, we're planning on Yiannis' Greek Cafe for our next outing.

In summary, like the OP said, you owe yourself a visit to Port St. Lucie before making up your mind. It is a city of over 160,000 population, and I'm sure there are a few people who are unhappy. There wouldn't be that many people here if they were all unhappy...think about it.

Last edited by pslOldTimer; 02-01-2007 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Removed reference to Orlando posting...

Old 02-02-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Thanks pslOldTimer

I appreciate your input also! It is so hard to find an area you might like to live in without being able to spend an extended period of time there first. I am planning a visit to see my sister (in Pembroke Pines) & do plan to venture off & see a few places! I wish we could transfer to Pembroke where my sister is, but from what I have read I don't think we could afford the cost of living there! Thanks again!

Old 02-04-2007, 09:46 AM

265 posts, read 905,092 times
Default To PSL Old Timer

I think the Chamber of Commerce should have you on their payroll!!

The only things you left out were: McKee Jungle Gardens, Heathcote Botanical Gardens, Indian River Community College and the vast agricultural activities at the St. Lucie Fair Grounds

Old 02-04-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
The only things you left out were: McKee Jungle Gardens, Heathcote Botanical Gardens, Indian River Community College and the vast agricultural activities at the St. Lucie Fair Grounds
Check near the end of paragraph 3 -- Heathcote, and the last two sentences of paragraph 4 -- IRCC, and the second sentence of paragraph 5 -- a passing reference to the county fair. I did leave out McKee Jungle Gardens, but to be fair, that's in Indian River County.

What I did forget was the excellent programs from the country extension agency, including the Master Gardener program and many fine lectures -- we just completed the 3-evening "Pond Appeal" seminars. Also, the wonderful programs, hikes, lectures and seminars at the Oxbow Eco Center. I'm sure there's a lot more I left out; truly, the hardest thing is finding time for everything.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:26 PM

265 posts, read 905,092 times
Sorry OldTimer - I skimmed the post - my bad. Are you sure McKee is in Indian River, I thought it was just this side of the county line. I loved that place as a kid. My parents would take us there at least once a month. It was an after church treat. I am thrilled that it has reopened and all was not lost to the developers. Oops - having said that, you are right, it is on the north side of the line.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:43 PM

I also forgot the Smithsonian Institute location on Seaway Drive, and regret that the Harbor Branch Oceanic Research location is not as accessible as it one was, due to Homeland Security precautions. I think one can still arrange tours.

One of the best things to do is right up your alley, J.R., even though we haven't had the time to do it, yet, but I'm looking forward to one of the Audobon tours of the Adams Ranch.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:22 PM

38 posts, read 136,826 times
Check out the cost of insurance, and property taxes. Know before you buy, you can't just ask anyone you need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach