Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 AM

30 posts, read 238,446 times

Advertisements

How is Stuart these days. It has been 25 years since I have been there. We are thinking of moving there in June from IN. I am hoping to get som good imput on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 08:53 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,729 times
The basic spirit and philosophy of Stuart has not changed in 25 years. It is still a booming town trying desperately to pretend it is a quiet backwater.

The old Roosevelt draw bridge has been supplanted by a soaring, high rise bridge, although the railroad bridge and one span of the old Roosevelt still operate. The bridges to the island have also been replaced with high spans, although I think that the East Ocean bridge may have been replaced before you left.

They are still fighting over the airport noise; the county commission just voted to disassociate themselves from federal funds so they can shorten a runway despite the FAA; but they have no clue how they are going to pay for the operation of the airport without FAA funds.

The County leaders are still claiming to be anti-growth, but one new commissioner, who ran on a platform of anti-growth, is being investigated for taking possibly illegal contributions from developers.

There are more shops, more restaurants, more progress on reconstruction of downtown. renovation of Confusion Corner, and the Lyric Theater is really humming with performing arts presentations.

They have finally gotten permission to build a second bridge to Palm City, despite the anti-growth policies. They are also planning to connect SR 714 to Port St. Lucie, despite the anti-growth policies. There are more developments than ever, despite the anti-growth policies. I've never seen a place that was so anti-growth, grow so fast!

It is still one of the highest per capita income areas in Florida, and still expensive to buy and live.

It's a place I both love and dislike at the same time. I love the ambiance, shops, restaurants, etc.; I dislike the snobbiness and hypocrisy I detect.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Stuart

Well. Its good to hear that some things havent changed. "the snobbiness and hypocrisy". Hasn't that always been there? I have never lived there but I did live near Vero Beach and made many visits to the Jupiter and Stuart area. For fishing when it was good.Is it still good ? I had a second thought. Do you need to speak several languages to live there?. As far as prices for houses go. Its a lot cheaper then farther South. Once you get to Jupiter and more to the South the prices almost double.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
I've always like Stuart. Charming city that as PSLOldTimer has said keeps growing and growing! There's ever more commerce and money down that way. The people, however, have always had (and still do have) a tendency to look down their noses at people from the more raucous St. Lucie County! They complain about Port St. Lucie people "clogging their beaches" and causing traffic on US-1, but of course have no problem taking the massive amount of sales tax generated by commerce starved PSL-ers shopping at the Treasure Coast mall, etc.!!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:57 PM

but of course have no problem taking the massive amount of sales tax generated by commerce starved PSL-ers shopping at the Treasure Coast mall, etc.!!!!

Yup, as I have said some things never change. As to your Statement TriMt7. I have put up with Johns Island Folk for years
I plan on starting a Lawn service Once I get there. Is it Like the West Coast of FL where you cant swing a dead cat without hitting one?

Last edited by Bert; 02-07-2007 at 05:12 PM..

Old 02-07-2007, 08:31 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
How is Stuart these days. It has been 25 years since I have been there. We are thinking of moving there in June from IN. I am hoping to get som good imput on the area.
I would recommend Vero Beach, Melbourne, or Palm Bay.
Port Saint has been changing quite a bit. There is a huge inventory of new house for sale
best of luck.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:26 AM

Smile Cougar31

I was born and raised in that area. It has grown so much I was shocked. Dont realy want to live there again. Besides I have always liked the Stuart, PSL, Jupiter area. Thats where I was staying last April. in Palm bay. It took me 45 + minutes to get from I-95 to US 1 which used to be a 7 to 10 minute drive.
Another reason I want to be around the stuart area is that my wife is going to Barry University. The first 15 weeks she has to drive to Miami shores to the Main campus, Then her Clincials will be in Jupiter, I know its 104 miles one way, but I dont want to live any farther South then Jupiter. I dont have a passport and No Hobla Espainole, and yes I know its everywhere from FL to TN. Not to mention what gose on in some of the schools down there. We have to kids one 8 and one 11. If I had my way we would be living in the middle of the Everglades.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Sutart Schools

How are the Schools in Stuart, Better then IRC I hope. My kids will be going into 3rd and 6th Grades. I have looked at the school sites, but they only post what they want you to see. I would like to get some information from the public. Hopefuly from someone who has kids in school now?
Thanks.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,752 times
I was looking at Stuart as an area for the future as an area to bring up kids vs. Miami-Dade where i am now, and I can tel you the schooling is horrendous! I understand spanish (i don't care to cater to ignorance and speak it), but that is only becuase I have to. Housing compared to here is dirt cheap in Stuart right now! However, even though I work in commercial Real estate, I am somewhat anti development esp. where I Eat and Sleep! If they destroy old town charm, I won't live there! Generic, plastic Atlanta suburb types where all the houses are the same and the strip centers are brand new,with only corporate chains, are not my cup of tea!

I grew up in the north where public schools are not an afterthought, but are very very good and rated!

How do you all see Stuart Transforming? I cannot stand the amount of people In Miami, I will be sick of it come 5 years from now, but from some of the statements made, it sounds like the Suart, PCL area is becoming a nightmare as well!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:00 PM

96 posts, read 360,475 times
To answer that question, Stuart is still that charming town. However, it is growing. The good news is that the homes aren't packed together, like in Dade. It's a small-town feel city. There are nice friendly businesses still there. But if for any reason you want some more options, just drive to Port Saint Lucie. It's growing alot faster, and the presence of the population can be seen. However, the whole region is fufilling that promise of providing a higher quality of life. Hope I helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach