U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:10 AM

2,909 posts, read 13,668,010 times

Advertisements

I see alot of threads on PSL with few complaints. I checked house prices and you can get a starter house for $150-200k which is a good deal cheaper than further south. Also the crime is less than half. Does anyone know what the exact crime index for PSL is? I believe its like 400, this in comparsion to 900 for Palm Beach County! I also heard there are not really any "rough" areas or neighboorhoods in PSL. If this is true, it does not matter where in PSL to live. In Palm Beach County, you need at least $250k for a starter house in a safe(r) neighboorhood.

Maybe I can get a good forclosure deal on a handyman special starter house and we will do the repairs ourselves. I know with my budget of around $50k I wont be getting a luxury house. I checked the forclosure website and saw a 900 footer 2/1 house for $25k. Does anyone have further info on this? Would I have to contact the banks for a list of forclosures?

The weather even in central FL is better than in south FL as its 2-5 degrees cooler which means less a/c needed, yet not cold enough to need heat.

I will stay in FL, just relocate to a different city without much of the problems of south FL. Thats if I am able to get an affordable deal. I did the math on property taxes and at $125k and $50k homestead exemption(raised from 25k) My taxable value is $75k which comes out to $1500 a year, the same property taxes as a $50k house in a location like Oil city. Insurance is probably gonna be ridiculous, ill just self insure by setting aside money in case of a hurricane. I am not gonna play their games with their ever increasing insurance, they wont get my business. PSL probably will appreciate more than Oil city and if I can get a good deal on a forclosure handyman special, ill have equity once we fix her up.

Last edited by Need_affordable_home; 02-09-2007 at 02:20 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 05:04 AM

669 posts, read 3,107,290 times
Just a weather comment: Yes central/northern FL has more seasons but I don't think enough of a difference to affect your usage of AC. You'll still need it for the same 9 months. No heat probably. Maybe two nights a year.

If these handyman's specials or foreclosures were some magic bullet, then obviously, nobody would complain about the prices in Florida - they'd just buy these. You may have think you found a perfect way to avoid the high prices but in all likelihood you'll end up unhappy. Just warning you. Otherwise, everyone would be doing this.

Last edited by bmurphy; 02-09-2007 at 05:35 AM..

Old 02-10-2007, 05:39 PM

17,288 posts, read 28,141,028 times
Crime: The number of violent crimes recorded by the FBI in 2003 was 281. The number of murders and homicides was 1. The violent crime rate was 2.8 per 1,000 people.

Listed as the "25th Safest City in America": http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm

If insurance is a huge problem for you, have you looked into townhouse or condo living? Usually the rates are much better.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:51 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,322,277 times
I post a lot of messages about Port St. Lucie, usually when they involve questions of fact. This one involves opinion, so I'll let others comment. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm positive about PSL.

I will say this -- it is more desirable today than it was when I moved here almost 35 years ago, and it will be more desirable tomorrow. That's because there are more and more businesses, restaurants, suppliers and such, more entertainment and fine arts, nicer architecture, better policing, more professional public works and utilities, more parks, all of the things that come along with maturity.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:18 PM

2,909 posts, read 13,668,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Crime: The number of violent crimes recorded by the FBI in 2003 was 281. The number of murders and homicides was 1. The violent crime rate was 2.8 per 1,000 people.

Listed as the "25th Safest City in America": http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm

If insurance is a huge problem for you, have you looked into townhouse or condo living? Usually the rates are much better.

Thats not bad. Only 1 murder? There were over 100 murders here in Palm Beach County! How much are the townhouses/condos, excluding the 55+ ones? I can get detached houses for $150k(2 bedrooms)

Old 02-10-2007, 08:18 PM

17,288 posts, read 28,141,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Thats not bad. Only 1 murder? There were over 100 murders here in Palm Beach County! How much are the townhouses/condos, excluding the 55+ ones? I can get detached houses for $150k(2 bedrooms)

Depends on where you live in town. 2 bedroom condos can be found for about 119k - 130k or so near the Hospital (and where the new "downtownish" development is going to be).

At around 150k you can get a 2-3 bedroom house in an older part of town with more affordable housing (The "Park's Edge" and "Windmill Point" neighborhoods, for example). These neighborhoods are nothing fancy, working class people...but they sit on quarter acre lots and last I checked are kept tidy enough. We lived there for a few years when we first moved to Florida in the late 80s. Until recently a retired couple that I have kept in touch with lived there for 30 years and loved it. It's a good mix of people, races, ages, marital statuses.

However, there are bargains relative bargains to be found. This house is in a more Middle Class area near Del Rio Blvd, and is 1800 sq ft, 3 bedrooms for 140k!:

http://homepics.realtor.com/image1/http/martincounty/listings/large/005/322487_101.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,369,898 times

There are several like this one, you could pick it up for 50,000 it's all done. This of course is a trailer home if that is something you do not mind.
I can not see paying 50,000 for a house pretty much any place at this time.
If you wait another year you will find the real prices will be much lower.
We are planning on renting for a year before we purchase in Wellington or Jupiter.
Best of luck.

Last edited by SKB; 05-29-2007 at 04:11 PM..

Old 02-10-2007, 10:18 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,322,277 times
That looks a lot like Spanish Lakes, and if it is, it's a 55+ community where you do not own the land, just the housing. The land is leased for an annual fee.

For those who are eligible, it's a great community with activities, excellent maintenance and good, retired, older people. My Mom considered buying there, but the available units when she was looking were to close to some new construction with dirt blowing around. That was many years ago.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,933 times
Smile looking to relocate from michigan to psl, HELP?

I am looking for any information positive & negaitive about Florida. My husband just got offered a job in West Palm Beach at D & B Tile. We are sinking here in Michigan but are not 100% Fl is the right move, any inforamtion about how the Tile companies are doing? We are a young family with three kids and are loooking to find a great family friendly area with GREAT schools and afforadable housing? What is the cost to live in PSL? We are looking to rent for one year to make sure we like the area than will purchase a home shortly after a year. I want to make the right move for our family and right now Michigan is just dying and people are loosing everything and we are on that edge too. I want my kids to be safe and happy and I will take any inforamtion on any areas that are within 40-50 miles of West Palm Beach that are affordable and safe. I also need to know about local doctors, shopping, schools, activities, as my boys are in travel basbeall now so we would want to find another great local travel team. Thanks to anyone and everyone who will read this and send me any inforamtion! It is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 PM

991 posts, read 4,458,773 times
My friend moved to PSL two years ago, loves the schools, loves the area!If you want more info on the schools look it up at schoolmatters.com it is a great resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach