Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 15,567 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from CA to FL (originally from the North East). If you have a million dollars to live in 1000 sq foot homes, don't mind being taxed to death, love having your vote overruled by San Francisco judges, like listening to wealthy people cry poverty, then CA is the place for you. I have had enough of it. Anyway, I want a property in South FL where I am within walking distancce of shops, restaurants, and bars. Walking distance to me is within 1.5 miles. I don't necessarily need to be in a house. A townhouse or condominium may suite me fine.

1. The question is, are there neighborhoods in the Port St. Lucie area that allow for such a request.
2. How is public transportation for getting around town? And, how is public transportation for getting to the nearest train stop to take a trip to Miami or other cities South of Port St. Lucie. I am a consultant and work from home, but I do travel about 33% of the time. So Public Transportation access to airports whether Palm Beach, FLL, of Miami is crucial. Any personal thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke View Post
I don't necessarily need to be in a house. A townhouse or condominium may suite me fine.

1. The question is, are there neighborhoods in the Port St. Lucie area that allow for such a request.
Look in Tradition.
Quote:
2. How is public transportation for getting around town? And, how is public transportation for getting to the nearest train stop to take a trip to Miami or other cities South of Port St. Lucie. I am a consultant and work from home, but I do travel about 33% of the time. So Public Transportation access to airports whether Palm Beach, FLL, of Miami is crucial. Any personal thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.
There is no public transportation. You could maybe take Greyhound to Miami. You would have to go to West Palm to get a train.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Public transportation is basically non-existent in Port St. Lucie. I'd say, check out living in downtown West Palm Beach (both condos and townhomes and SFHs available in the area), where you have the airport 5 miles away and Palm Tran and Tri-Rail to take you to Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 AM

265 posts, read 904,490 times
Lilybeans and Tim are right.

If want walking distance in PSL, stick to Tradition or St. Lucie West. Both areas offer a shopping variety and a home-style variety.

I am not even sure if we have a taxi service around here.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:23 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Lilybeans and Tim are right.

If want walking distance in PSL, stick to Tradition or St. Lucie West. Both areas offer a shopping variety and a home-style variety.

I am not even sure if we have a taxi service around here.
There is, but it's the kind that you have to call the companies to arrange a ride!

Old 03-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the information concerning transportation.

Is it me, or are home prices in the PSL and WPB areas really that distressed? I know people that live in these areas and swear they are nice places to live. And, like most places, do have some areas to avoid. I can afford a $175K-225K home. I give a fairly large range because of considerations for HOA, etc. It looks like I can get a good property for that range.

Are prices really that distressed and there really are good properties for my range or am I seeing some "smoke and mirrors" on realtor pages?

Old 03-28-2009, 03:03 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
Home prices are that distressed. Do your homework. PSL will be having budget problems. If you buy in some areas, HOA fees are borne by the homes not in foreclosure and could be onerous. Of course, established neighborhoods are better. Unemployment is in double digits.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:03 PM

265 posts, read 904,490 times
It is a buyers market. My neice just closed on a 3/2 w/pool, new kitchen cabs, recent tile thru-out, 5 minutes from the beach in Jensen for $86,900. It is an older home, but with many upgrades over the years. She purchased it out of foreclosure. I just saw it today for the first time and it is a wonderful house.

Do your research and be patient and you can make a great deal.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM

You guys are good. Thanks for the info. I'll write again when I start zeroing in on some neighborhoods. And "JR," in many cases, older is better. If you saw some of the shabby construction going on here in Southern California during the boon years, you'd know what I mean. I suspect Florida probably saw the same.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:45 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,196,298 times
Walking distance to everything is still going to be in Tradition or St Luice West area and so are the newer homes at all kinds of prices well withing what you have to spend. It's not all smoke and mirrors from some realtors but realize that a foreclosure or short sale price is sometimes not a reality since it's what the bank will accept, not the price listed. Look for bank owned properties or you can sit and wait..and wonder...if your offer has been accepted by the bank for a very long time..and I don't mean weeks.

Public transportation- yes well we have some- you can call for the scheduled bus to and from the airport in West Palm Beach or make arrangements for one of the local companies to take you. Easier to ask a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach