Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: job market, bad credit, cost of living, rental, buy a home.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:11 PM

15 posts, read 38,808 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone
I've been lurking here for a little while, and have found the answers to a LOT of questions - some great, informational posts.
But I still have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.

I'll give you my situation as brief as I can, and the questions will follow.

I'm a 33-year-old male with a 6-year old little girl.
It's just us; her mother passed away when my daughter was a baby.

Right now, we live in Wisconsin, and I just can't take the cold.
And unfortunately, the family that I do have here, I just don't trust - and more importantly, can't trust them with my daughter.

I want to move back to Florida (I have lived in the St. Pete area, Titusville, and Jacksonville [Neptune Beach] at different times in my life), as I LOVE the weather, the beaches, and the different cultures.
The PSL area appeals to me because it's generally thought of as "safe".
Also, I'm a huge Mets fan.

My daughter starts first grade next year, and I'd really like my next move to be my last, as I'd like her to get the chance to develop some life-long relationships early, and feel like she has a "home" somewhere.

My goal is to work at home/online by continuing to work on projects, new businesses, and learning programming codes.
Until I get there, I take what I can get.

-------------

Good enough.
Here come the questions:

1. Jobs
Seems like there are quite a few jobs in the area, especially when it comes to customer service.
When we get there, we'll be starting fresh in many ways, as I do not yet earn enough income through online work to support us.
So it seems like working for QVC or something similar is an easy gig to get.
Am I right?
Anyone here know anyone who works/has worked for them?

2. Apartments
I haven't yet found any information on non-community apartments.
(I don't think I'm saying that right...you know: the apartments that have hundreds of people living in them, sometimes gated...what's the word for them??)
Those are great, don't get me wrong.
But my credit sucks, and it's tough to get into those.
When I lived in Neptune Beach, there were a TON of privately-owned homes that had been converted into apartments, usually with just a sign outside.
THAT'S what I'm looking for, and that might really be my only real hope at finding a good place.
Are there a lot of these in PSL or Jensen Beach?

I think that's it for now.
Sorry this post is so long, and I hope I structured it well enough so it's an easy read.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
People work at QVC or Liberty, but those are low paying jobs. A lot of people use those as second jobs. There is a lot of turnover. You should make sure you have a job lined up that can support you and your daughter before you move here. You should be awate that the cost of living is NOT cheap in Florida, and your expenses will be as high or higher than what you are used to, and wages will be lower.

Make sure you have a job lined up first, or have a solid six months of savings and living expenses in the bank before you get here. Bad credit will only make things even more difficult.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyIcon View Post
Hey, everyone
I've been lurking here for a little while, and have found the answers to a LOT of questions - some great, informational posts.
But I still have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.

I'll give you my situation as brief as I can, and the questions will follow.

I'm a 33-year-old male with a 6-year old little girl.
It's just us; her mother passed away when my daughter was a baby.

Right now, we live in Wisconsin, and I just can't take the cold.
And unfortunately, the family that I do have here, I just don't trust - and more importantly, can't trust them with my daughter.

I want to move back to Florida (I have lived in the St. Pete area, Titusville, and Jacksonville [Neptune Beach] at different times in my life), as I LOVE the weather, the beaches, and the different cultures.
The PSL area appeals to me because it's generally thought of as "safe".
Also, I'm a huge Mets fan.

My daughter starts first grade next year, and I'd really like my next move to be my last, as I'd like her to get the chance to develop some life-long relationships early, and feel like she has a "home" somewhere.

My goal is to work at home/online by continuing to work on projects, new businesses, and learning programming codes.
Until I get there, I take what I can get.

-------------

Good enough.
Here come the questions:

1. Jobs
Seems like there are quite a few jobs in the area, especially when it comes to customer service.
When we get there, we'll be starting fresh in many ways, as I do not yet earn enough income through online work to support us.
So it seems like working for QVC or something similar is an easy gig to get.
Am I right?
Anyone here know anyone who works/has worked for them?

2. Apartments
I haven't yet found any information on non-community apartments.
(I don't think I'm saying that right...you know: the apartments that have hundreds of people living in them, sometimes gated...what's the word for them??)
Those are great, don't get me wrong.
But my credit sucks, and it's tough to get into those.
When I lived in Neptune Beach, there were a TON of privately-owned homes that had been converted into apartments, usually with just a sign outside.
THAT'S what I'm looking for, and that might really be my only real hope at finding a good place.
Are there a lot of these in PSL or Jensen Beach?

I think that's it for now.
Sorry this post is so long, and I hope I structured it well enough so it's an easy read.

Thanks!
Have you looked on Craigs list for apartments?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
People work at QVC or Liberty, but those are low paying jobs. A lot of people use those as second jobs. There is a lot of turnover.
Good to know, thank you.
I'll contact them directly, if possible.

Quote:
You should be awate that the cost of living is NOT cheap in Florida, and your expenses will be as high or higher than what you are used to, and wages will be lower.
Thanks!

Although, not having to pay $300/month on heating costs will help.
Not to mention the grueling wear and tear on our vehicles.
Aside from rent being higher in FL, I haven't noticed much of a difference in the past; in fact, I've always thought it was a little cheaper,
based on the lifestyle I lead.

Quote:
Bad credit will only make things even more difficult.
You're telling ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
Have you looked on Craigs list for apartments?
Not yet.
As soon as I finish this post, I'm headed over there.
Thank you!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
Liberty has just opened up a great number of new jobs as heard on the the news last night. Liberty is owned by another company now for those of you who didn't know that. It was purchased by Medco.

If you are looking for a SAFE family enviorment in PSL than Tradition is extremely child, (and single parent) friendly. It's also safe. We do background checks and if you ask the police they will tell you there is no action here.

There are lots of things for children to do and we have planned events all the time.

Also, rentals here INCLUDE cable, Internet and lawn service.

Tradition is located at the Gatlin/ Tradition Parkway at I95.

I live here myself and love it. Very friendly community.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Liberty has just opened up a great number of new jobs as heard on the the news last night. Liberty is owned by another company now for those of you who didn't know that. It was purchased by Medco.
Yep.
I saw that listed online on one of the newspaper sites.
That and a big beer distributor, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Tradition
Tradition sounds great (I've seen other posts of yours where you mention it), but unfortunately I think it's a little out of my league right now.
Seems like something a "real adult" is ready for, lol.
I'm not in a position to buy a home, and once I have to start submitting my name to a bunch of "checks", that's it for me; I get declined every time.
I was young once and have a few black marks against me.
While I understand the need to run a history on people's financial and social backgrounds, it tends to really limit the options someone like me has.
That's why jobs have been so tough to get and maintain, and why the prospect of having a place like QVC available sounds great (and why I'm trying to do my own things [programming, entrepreneurship, etc.]).

Private owners seem to be the best option for me, at least as far as I can see.
Thank you so much for your Tradition vote, FlaLadyB, I just don't think it's feasible for me yet.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 AM

88 posts, read 193,660 times
Do make sure you have a job befor coming down here otherwise things could be very difficult.
You will save money on heating but water and electricity are more.
Do remember that St Lucie schools are not as good as what you are used to, and you will not have your choice of schools. Thats a big downside. Research this well before coming down as well. Your daughter may have a 1 hour bus ride to and from school each day.
If anywhere is going to recover from the economy its going to be Florida because of the tourist population. Gotta hate them but need to love them as well.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps View Post
Do make sure you have a job befor coming down here otherwise things could be very difficult.
Yes.
I've made that mistake in the past, and it can get VERY UGLY!

Quote:
Do remember that St Lucie schools are not as good as what you are used to
As a rule, schools are supposed to be good in Wisconsin.
So far, I'm extremely dissatisfied with the school my daughter is in.
Education starts at home, blah blah; but there's a lot of truth in that.
I just want "good enough", and I want the teachers to be nice to her.
The rest I can make up for, or at least do a lot - through my own efforts and getting involved in community events.

Quote:
and you will not have your choice of schools.
Yeah, I've seen some posts about that.
I don't quite understand how exactly that works.
If I live ACROSS THE STREET from an elementary school,
is it still not a guarantee that she would attend that school?

Thanks for the input!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
Quote:
You will save money on heating but water and electricity are more.
Do remember that St Lucie schools are not as good as what you are used to, and you will not have your choice of schools. Thats a big downside. Research this well before coming down as well. Your daughter may have a 1 hour bus ride to and from school each day.
If anywhere is going to recover from the economy its going to be Florida because of the tourist population. Gotta hate them but need to love them as well.
IMO, I lived in New England until 6 yrs ago and the elec and water bill here in Fl is nothing compared to there, alot cheaper here. Not sure what your elec rate is where you live but we find it cheaper to cool our house than to heat it back in CT.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:12 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
OK...some info to several other posts - MEDCO is a huge DRUG COMPANY that means a great deal to Liberty....not a beer company ...geezz....

BeMyIcon- don't look at The Club- end of story. If your past keeps haunting you and background checks are out that does make it difficult.

I will WARN you about craigslist though. I use it a lot myself for advertising my rentals BUT it is loaded with people in FORECLOSURE that are looking to bait you in to renting from them and not telling you the truth. Once you are in a lease you're dead meat and you can not get out of the lease just because they are in foreclosure. I hear it every day. If there is a way I can help you I will. If you find a house that looks good, go to the PSL property appraiser site on the internet and look up the house by the address. Check all parts of it like the taxes etc to see if you can tell it's in foreclosure or not. Unfortunately the site is not as up to date as we would like it to be because of the many foreclosures. Ask the owner, not that he will tell you LOL!! Have part of your lease state that if the home goes in to foreclosure you have the right to give a 30 day notice to terminate the lease. If they don't want to sign it....walk. I use an addendum on my leases and even though it may not do anything legally I think it might really make a difference in front of a judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach