Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 AM

265 posts, read 901,581 times

Advertisements

I was out CR 68 heading toward Okeechobee yesterday and I made it point to look for the elephant sanctuary or signs of one being built.

Nope, none, nada. The land that was proposed for the sight is still untouched and there is no sign. I believe this is the land that the big cat rescue left due to too many hurricanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,054 times
It was my understanding that all the space chimps were sent to the Coulston Foundation, to be used in research and pesticide testing. after the space program was done with them. Supposedly they didn't know what to do with them. Dr. Carole Noon accepted every Chimp she could, she has dedicted her life to the well being of these chimpanzees. there was also some monkeys, she place them in another sanctuary. This women is awesome, and I have nothing but respect and admiration for her. One person can make such a difference.......

Old 04-01-2009, 04:53 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,429,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I read a while back that the Asian Elephant sanctuary was on track to open in Western St. Lucie County this year. Has anyone heard anything about its status? Will it be open to the public?

Also, what about the "Space Chimp" sanctuary in Ft. Pierce? Has anyone visited or volunteered? I would have loved to have volunteered at the Space Chimp facility while in high school, lol.
I'd advise leaving any Tickle Me Elmo dolls in the car....just sayin'.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:14 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,819,617 times
You don't want to be around medical research or any chimps for that matter. It's heartbreaking and life changing to see the nightmare perpetrated on them. (and other animals in the same position). They are a physical, emotional and psychological wreck ...more horrors having been committed against them than you could ever dream up.

You also shouldn't support the breeding of captive elephants here or anywhere else. It's very dangerous at their ages and Phila is going through a big mess right now because the nasty zoo is pushing breeding.

Now, if people want to do research on more deserving creatures, we have a nice disproportionate ratio of sex offenders here, 114:1. (the highest in the entire so fl area and further north, too).

Old 04-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You don't want to be around medical research or any chimps for that matter. It's heartbreaking and life changing to see the nightmare perpetrated on them. (and other animals in the same position). They are a physical, emotional and psychological wreck ...more horrors having been committed against them than you could ever dream up.

You also shouldn't support the breeding of captive elephants here or anywhere else. It's very dangerous at their ages and Phila is going through a big mess right now because the nasty zoo is pushing breeding.

Now, if people want to do research on more deserving creatures, we have a nice disproportionate ratio of sex offenders here, 114:1. (the highest in the entire so fl area and further north, too).
runnwithscissors, I could not have said it better!
The unpredictability is only ONE reason why Dr. Noon does not have the chimps on public display - the other is they have been exploited too much already.
Yes, the chimps came from the Coulson facility in Mew Mexico.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,819,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
runnwithscissors, I could not have said it better!
The unpredictability is only ONE reason why Dr. Noon does not have the chimps on public display - the other is they have been exploited too much already.
Yes, the chimps came from the Coulson facility in Mew Mexico.
I have to say it completely changed my life when I found out so long ago what people do to these (and all) animals. You couldn't dream the torture up in your wildest imagination if you tried! And it's all real "legal like". hrmph.

Not to mention exploitation experts like the famous King of Exploitation Jack Hanna everybody thinks is so cute, who participates and orchestrates the recycling of unwanted "performers" from one place to the next worse place over and over. That creep even did a keynote address at the Pa Society for Biomed Research and they labeled it a "fun filled presentation".

The general public just doesn't want to hear it but when you try and tell them they call you an AR nut.

As if I care LOL.

Don't get me started.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 AM

I have heard that Jack Hanna is not as he appears. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach