U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,774 times

Advertisements

I am actually @ Coral Springs, Broward County, but we want to move to PSL. I am very concern about schools, specially middle & high , since here at Coral Springs we have really good schools. Is PSL a really good & safe place for my sons???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,458,743 times
Why do you want to move? Just curious.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,774 times
we want to buy a house, the prices @ PSL are so good, but i am concern about schools since the school reputations are bad... my sons actually are in a very good school, grade A+

Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,032,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg1970 View Post
we want to buy a house, the prices @ PSL are so good, but i am concern about schools since the school reputations are bad... my sons actually are in a very good school, grade A+
Will your children be in honors and advanced placement classes? If so, they will be fine, as they will be segregated from the kids who tend to bring school scores down.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:31 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,754,216 times
PSL and Coral Springs are very different kinds of areas. Since I used to live in Boca and be in Coral Springs a lot I can say that. The schools are run differently than Coral Springs but yes, you will be safe in PSL. Check the PSL School Board as to what schools are available to you IF you know where you plan to live in PSL.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 AM

88 posts, read 175,975 times
We had a terrible experience with the psl school system when we first moved here. They wanted us to bus our child to a school 1 hour away, leaving on a but at 0550 am then getting home at 600pm by bus.
I dont know about the Coral Springs schools but compared to the schools in the midwest the schools do not compare.
When people shop for homes, one of the biggest needs is for a good school system. It is my opinion that the school system is one of the reasons that home sales will take some time to rebound in this area.
We decided to pull out of a home sale in psl and went to Martin county to live because of this. But thats just us

Old 02-06-2009, 02:39 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,032,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps View Post
We had a terrible experience with the psl school system when we first moved here. They wanted us to bus our child to a school 1 hour away, leaving on a but at 0550 am then getting home at 600pm by bus.
I dont know about the Coral Springs schools but compared to the schools in the midwest the schools do not compare.
When people shop for homes, one of the biggest needs is for a good school system. It is my opinion that the school system is one of the reasons that home sales will take some time to rebound in this area.
We decided to pull out of a home sale in psl and went to Martin county to live because of this. But thats just us
Wow, when did you move to PSL? St. Lucie County stopped bussing to Ft. Pierce, and vice versa a couple of years ago. Now, kids in the "Red Zone" go to school in that zone, and kids in the "Blue Zone" go to a school in that zone.

It's infinitely better than the old system!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,420 times
Default moving to psl

I moved to PSL in 2007 to hopefully give a better life to my children. I was wrong. The weather in florida is beautiful. But the schools in PSl are horrible. I had one in elem who had to be at her bus stop at 6 am and it took an hour for her to get to school. Yes she went to a school in her area but where we lived and the only school that was open was one that was a block from ft peirce. She had a girl threaten her and it took the school over a week to get back to my phone calls. Then they said they would follow up and get back to me and never did. There communication at this school is horrible. I can not speak for all schools. Then I had a daughter in 8th grade and they had a drug bust in the school the kids in her grade had to get down on the floor, this was a traumatic experience. Where we come from ( a small town in the midwest) this is not heard of. Both my 8th grader and 10th grader said their teachers were on their cell phones several times during teaching time. The crime may not be high but I think the crime is growing in psl. Not only that but before I moved back to the midwest, there was an article in the paper stating that psl has lacked in the area of child preditors. I guess they allow a person with that background closer to schools and daycares then other towns in florida so psl has a high child preditor population. I only lived there a year, I would never want to live there again. The people are rude.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:26 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,842,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netter4 View Post
I moved to PSL in 2007 to hopefully give a better life to my children. I was wrong. The weather in florida is beautiful. But the schools in PSl are horrible. I had one in elem who had to be at her bus stop at 6 am and it took an hour for her to get to school. Yes she went to a school in her area but where we lived and the only school that was open was one that was a block from ft peirce. She had a girl threaten her and it took the school over a week to get back to my phone calls. Then they said they would follow up and get back to me and never did. There communication at this school is horrible. I can not speak for all schools. Then I had a daughter in 8th grade and they had a drug bust in the school the kids in her grade had to get down on the floor, this was a traumatic experience. Where we come from (a small town in the midwest) this is not heard of. Both my 8th grader and 10th grader said their teachers were on their cell phones several times during teaching time. The crime may not be high but I think the crime is growing in psl. Not only that but before I moved back to the midwest, there was an article in the paper stating that psl has lacked in the area of child preditors. I guess they allow a person with that background closer to schools and daycares then other towns in florida so psl has a high child preditor population. I only lived there a year, I would never want to live there again. The people are rude.
You comments on people, in general, in PSL are inaccurate...The people in SL are not rude and you should not be telling people that we are. Shame on you because you wrote a juvenile and off the cuff opinion without educated facts.
I am a severely wounded Veteran who fought so you can say what you feel. It is good but please never ever say "the people are rude" unless you have several facts to reference. It would be proper to say "the people are rude compared to the small town where I use to live in central Wyoming" Then reference more than two incidents you personally encountered.

My friends send their children to a Ft Pierce Magnet school because the kids are smart and their parents want to increase their ability to deal with life's ever changing society. I believe and have been told by my 2 friends who send their teenage children to Magnet schools that the school is also a very good school for College bound students...

You may be compelled to write bad things about a SLC resident but please keep them to yourself...This forum is not the place to post negative opinions about good PSL residents who stay here and try and fix problems.

God Bless our Troops and Veterans

Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 AM

12 posts, read 22,116 times
I'm sorry to say Synergy1, while I do respect your thoughts and loyalty to PSL, you have to realize that every persons experience is different. I'm sure netter4 is not lying about his/her experiences and it's unfair not to post both the positive and negative aspects of a town. If someone is looking for an honest perspective which will be a deciding factor for them to pick up their life and move, they should know the absolute truth. I'd be pretty upset if I relied on a forum that only said good things and came to find out that they weren't all true.
I moved here in August and am fortuante that I am able to have my child in private school. I am absolutely impressed with the school and couldn't be happier. Not sure how the other private schools are but I lucked out with this one.
I must say that the folks I've encounted here are pretty rude. I'm from NY and I'm stating that people here are rude so you know I'm not exaggerating. Not to say there aren't nice folks but I'm 37 and not sure if it's the folks my age and younger or what, but I've complained to my husband how shocked I am at how rude the folks are. I'm thinking maybe the majority of these folks are from the North and brought their attitudes along with them, but netter4 is on the money with that comment. Sorry Synergy1, but the truth is the truth. For other reasons (no good job situation) I'm seriously considering moving either further south or back to NY. The only good thing right now is the nice house and good weather. Not a good enough trade-off for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach