U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 01:08 PM

7 posts, read 40,716 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are moving to PSL in 2 weeks and I was hoping someone could help me with some school confusion.

I already called Student Assignment to get my questions answered, but they didn't do a good job of that.

We are moving to the "Red Zone," but because of overcrowding my children will go to school in the "Blue Zone" for the rest of this school year, and starting in August will go to the new K-8 (Winter Lakes?) with all the rest of the kids new to the area. This school is about 10 miles from where we will be living, which seems odd to me.

Does anyone have any experience with the PSL school system? Anyone know anything about the Blue Zone schools? Have any feelings about the school system as a whole?

We purpousley rented to start out just for this reason. I have friends in Sebastian who were pushing us to move there because "the schools are better than in PSL," but they have never experienced the PSL school system, so they don't really know.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 07:28 PM

31 posts, read 134,414 times
From my understanding you want to go to the school board directly to get what you want. Was Winter Lakes one of your 4 Choices in the Red Zone? Where will you be working? Closer to Vero Beach? Sebastian seems kind of far a way to PSL

Old 03-22-2007, 07:06 AM

7 posts, read 40,716 times
Default Well...

We are moving to Tradition. We have not registerd for school yet, but were told that when we do register my kids will have to go to school in the blue zone to finish the year out and then go to Winter Lakes starting in August. I may be wrong, but it's about 10 miles away from where we'll live?

My comment about Sebastian was from friends who live there. They seem to think we would be better off moving to Sebastian for the schools. I was just looking for others opinions.

I was hoping to get them into a school closer to Tradition - SLW K-8, Oak Hammock K-8 etc. This new school being built is off Midway Road and the Turnpike - isn't that too far???

The PSL school system seems so foreign to me!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:31 AM

31 posts, read 134,414 times
I'm hoping to get my daughter into Oak Hammock, Westgate or Saint Lucie West. I just don't like the idea of Winer lakes being in a "temporary" location. What does that mean?

From my understanding is you "apply" to the schools. List your top four schools, and they will put you into one of those four schools. Now I'm sure if you don't pick they will assign you a school. I have a friend who lives down there, and she says go to the school board directly to get what you want. I can understand them making you go out of zone this late in the school year. Now will it be completely out of your way to drive your kids to their existing schools for the remainder of the school year?

Winter lakes seems far away, but it also seems the opposite direction of all the traffic so it may not be that bad in regards to commuting.

Just wanted to edit - what grades are your kids in?

Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 AM

1,305 posts, read 5,197,362 times
I don't know if the Sebastion schools are any better, although Indian River County is a bit towards the snobby side, and they certainly think so -- and some look down their noses at Port St. Lucie.

My kids went to St. Lucie County schools back in the deep, dark days of court-ordered forced busing for integration purposes, when there was one elementary school for all of Port St. Lucie and the middle schools and high schools were all in Fort Pierce. I'll put them up against students from Indian River County, any day. In fact, they went to the same colleges as many students from Indian River.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLBound View Post
This new school being built is off Midway Road and the Turnpike - isn't that too far???
The northern border of Port St. Lucie is Midway Road. The main Post Office, the Health Dept, the Sheriff's Dept headquarters and the Fire Dept headquarters are all located nearby.

It's not as far as the very desirable magnet schools in Fort Pierce, such as Lincoln Park Academy.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,830 times
Default St. Lucie County schools leave much to be desired

Your friends in Sebastian had good advice.... Sorry I have 1st hand experience both from children and employment You better be very very involved from the 1st step forward or else. If you desire your children to go to college other then IRCC You better ask for percentages of those graduating and then the % college bound to a four year school.. They are great at LIP SERVICE poor at performance Such a shame, Red blue green or whatever the colors they give them they all, other then magnet schools, leave much to be desired!!! I am so glad I am at the end of schooling in this county We will move after that. Hope you have a different experience, and love every minute of it and pray to God you don't experience a hurricane, they change your life forever!!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimoo View Post
...You better be very very involved from the 1st step forward or else...
That's exactly the advice I offer anyone, regardless of where they live or where they go to school. The percentages you mention don't mean anything as long as your child does as well as you expect. Both on my kids graduated from private colleges; my son graduated from Stetson U which has one of the highest academic reputations in Florida.

By the way, IRCC is ranked as one of the best community colleges in the state, and students who go there first and then on to a 4 year school almost invariably do better than students who go straight to 4-year schools. My daughter was a music major, and in many ways would have had a better education if she had attended IRCC first.

If you want to start checking percentages, compare the number of students in the St. Lucie school system who receive International Baccalaureate degrees to those in Martin or Indian River counties.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:46 PM

449 posts, read 1,070,085 times
PSL bound i have the same concerns you have regarding PSL schools. My son has attended Martin County schools (just south of psl) and did very well-some very good schools in Martin County. We are currently in NC-and want to come back to fl-but unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control we had to leave (couldn't afford Martin Cty on just my income). Well anyway we are now considering coming back-but to st.lucie county In all honesty I haven't heard good things about st.lucie cty schools ( i was a martin cty resident for 25 yrs). So I am trying to get a little more information myself-I have checked out the school websites and unfortunately that wasn't very encouraging. I'll be renting a house from a friend off of Bayshore blvd & I asked her about the schools & she told me your child's school isn't based on your address! I thought that was odd-many families base their choice on where to live according to what school district they will be in. I had a friend that bought a house in Jensen Beach (she moved from NY) and thought her daughter would go to Martin County schools & didn't realize she was right over the st.lucie cty line-she was furious. So I'm looking for a "diamond in the rough" so to speak-a decent st.lucie cty school that maybe I just haven't heard off yet?? Checked the school websites-my girlfriend mentioned 3 possible schools that my son would go to based on the address and all 3 of them were rated just 4 out of a possible 10 I'm so disappointed with the NC middle school here that i feel even the worst st.lucie school would be far better than this!! Good luck to you. And is anyone familiar with Southport, Northport or Hidden Oaks Middle?? thank you for any thoughts and opinions

Old 04-12-2007, 04:33 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,093,656 times
Let me just give some real straight talk here for a second. No beating around the bush:

I'm 24 now and a product of St. Lucie County Schools since second grade. I went to Windmill Point, and then went to Northport Middle School, two years at Ft. Pierce Central (which I HATED but not for academic reasons), and then graduated from St. Lucie West Centennial when it opened (and used to be an "A" rated school, I believe).

In 2 weeks I'll be graduating with my law degree from a first-tier law school, so I feel that the educational experiences from St. Lucie County schools have not left me ill-equipped to deal with the world. How far you go academically is only PART school-district related.... and dare I say not even necessarily the most important! A lot of it is innate ability, and a large portion of it is value-instilling from parents, peers, and the like. I was taken to the library a LOT by my father, and read lots and lots of books for pleasure. I would take my homework to soccer games and do it on the bus back and forth from games. It wasn't the school, it was pressure from home and my own desire to get good grades that did it!

I believe I had a fine education in St. Lucie County, but then again, I was in advanced classes and honors, as well as dual enrollment. If your kid is smart enough to do advanced classes (at LEAST honors, though I recommend AP (advanced placement) courses as well), then they will get a fine education. If, however, they are in "regular" classes, then it's a zoo. ALWAYS make sure your kids get into the toughest classes and programs that they can handle.

If they have the gifted program in St. Lucie County still, see if your child tests into it. It was a much more challenging and rewarding experience. There are also schools that have always been viewed as "better" schools for their magnet programs.... Village Green for elementary, and Lincoln Park Academy for Middle and High School. My mother didn't LET me go to Lincoln Park for IB because she was prejudiced against its location, and quite frankly, I didn't WANT to go because I thought the kids were stuck up (especially the IB kids).... and ya know what, I get better grades in law school and college than the one friend I know who went to IB, so I guess I didn't do too bad not associating too heavily with the pocket protector brigade! :-P

In sum, don't look at test scores and ratings as the only indication of the quality of education your child will get. One source I recently read cited an influx of "foreign born" children into the schools (kids that, quite honestly, YOUR children will most likely never come in contact with if they are in honors and other advanced level classes) as a partial reason for the recent decline in overall county test scores... but St. Lucie County DOES have 20 A or B rated schools in the district to choose from, so don't fret!

I hope that my little rambling made SOME sense! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach