Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 AM

22 posts, read 113,829 times

Advertisements

I'm debating between treasure coast area and west palm beach/south florida area....I'm 39 year old Irish woman, and I want to attend massage therapy school, and I'm into yoga, tai chi, metaphysical/spiritual groups, and now and again I like an Irish pub and live music, but I don't want to live right near heavy partying, as I also like my tranquility...but like to be in close proximity to shopping, nice stores, and downtown area, and close to the beach. I also want to live in an area that is SAFE and AFFORDABLE! Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 04:42 AM

265 posts, read 904,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl69 View Post
I'm debating between treasure coast area and west palm beach/south florida area....I'm 39 year old Irish woman, and I want to attend massage therapy school, and I'm into yoga, tai chi, metaphysical/spiritual groups, and now and again I like an Irish pub and live music, but I don't want to live right near heavy partying, as I also like my tranquility...but like to be in close proximity to shopping, nice stores, and downtown area, and close to the beach. I also want to live in an area that is SAFE and AFFORDABLE! Any suggestions???
Check out the job market before you move. Our area is currently over run with people in the "spa" industry. There are not enough jobs to go around. I am a teacher in the industry and things are looking very gloomy for graduating students. People just can't afford to pamper themselves right now.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 AM

Default job market

Thanks for your imput on the oversaturation of the job market, I'm not really that concerned as I already have a work from home situation set up, I am more concerned about finding a safe and affordable place to live, yet has resources available for massage therapy, other healing modalities such as reiki, etc.....

Old 04-01-2009, 03:55 PM

265 posts, read 904,732 times
I am not much older than you and if I were single and wanted to live in town in a sociable area with some quiet night life, I would choose Tradition in Port St. Lucie.

Plus, there is an Irish pub not too far from there!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:04 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Well let's start with the basics: are you looking to rent? How much are you looking to spend? How bohemian/urban pioneer are you? What is "safe" to you?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Default What I'm looking for

My idea of safe is feeling able to run to the store after 10 pm and not have to fear for my life...where I live now, I never worry about it...as far as bohemian, I enjoy reiki healing circles, drumming circles, crystal classes, belly dancing, astrology - stuff like that, and I like to catch live rock band now and again - I'm Not into big clubs - I like smaller cozy places - with real live music....and as far as price, I'm going to start out renting as I want to get to know the areas better before I lock in on buying, but my rent in Jersey is $1,200 for a 1 br, I'd like to cut that down to $1,000 or even less.....but that may not be possible in consideration of the things I enjoy doing....let me know....

Old 04-03-2009, 08:03 AM

831 posts, read 2,437,520 times
Quote:
My idea of safe is feeling able to run to the store after 10 pm and not have to fear for my life...where I live now, I never worry about it...as far as bohemian, I enjoy reiki healing circles, drumming circles, crystal classes, belly dancing, astrology - stuff like that, and I like to catch live rock band now and again - I'm Not into big clubs - I like smaller cozy places - with real live music....and as far as price, I'm going to start out renting as I want to get to know the areas better before I lock in on buying, but my rent in Jersey is $1,200 for a 1 br, I'd like to cut that down to $1,000 or even less.....but that may not be possible in consideration of the things I enjoy doing....let me know....
I think your going to be in for a big surprise. I moved from NJ to Sarasota and there isn't anything really open after 10pm except for Walmart.lol

Old 04-03-2009, 12:11 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
Quote:
The Port St. Lucie-Sebastian-Vero Beach area might be nice for you.

You also might want to look into the college towns - Tallahassee and Gainesville.

And if you could afford to live there (there is SOME affordable housing), Key West.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:55 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I think your going to be in for a big surprise. I moved from NJ to Sarasota and there isn't anything really open after 10pm except for Walmart.lol
ROFL you got that right. I moved from Phila and it's Walmart, CVS and Walgreens after 10.

NOT EVEN
A WAWA.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:05 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
I enjoy reiki healing circles, drumming circles, crystal classes, belly dancing, astrology - stuff like that, and I like to catch live rock band now and again - I'm Not into big clubs - I like smaller cozy places - with real live music....

.., I'd like to cut that down to $1,000 or even less.......
I'm at a total loss and that doesn't happen much

I'm from Philly where are you finding all those activites in NJ? Other than NY or Phila?

I would suggest you google those activities and then chose to move where the activities are. Contact the people who come up and ask about it.

Absent that I'd say downtown West Palm Beach if you're willing to accept "typical" city crime. You won't easily pay 1000 there...perhaps...but easily 1200 you can rent a small house in walking distance a few blocks away...grandview heights flamingo park..... BUT I WOULD NOT WALK FROM THERE TO TOWN ALONE AT NIGHT....Several condos in town would be better also in the 1000-1200 range.

Maybe Boca I don't know.

DEFINITELY NOT up HERE on the groovy small live music clubs and bohemian activites LOL. (not that I've looked so google it).

I predict Miami only has all that stuff....on the East coast anyway....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach