U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,342,025 times

Advertisements

I'm also looking -- way into the future -- for development to spread even further West. Actually, I expect it to grow on the East side of Okeechobee and spread back towards the East.

I you want to go to Okeechobee today, you have to drive up to Midway Rd (712), the West to SR 70 at the county fairgrounds, then take 70 SW to Okeechobee. The interesting thing is that if you draw a straight line West from the new Crosstown Parkway, it aims straight for Okeechobee. The line goes across Rangeline Rd (where developers are already expected to extend it), to Carlton Rf and across Bluefields Rd, and finally lines up perfectly with SR70 at 128th Street (Berman Rd) about 8 miles or so East of Okeechobee City. A similar route could be extended West from Gatlin Blvd. It's 17 miles from Gatlin at I-75 to SR 70 at Berman Rd, and a total of 25 miles to downtown Okeechobee.

If that area builds up the way I expect, they would flock to the shopping around Gatlin. It will never be as populous as PSL, of course, but it will be significant. I think someday you will see such an East/West link, which is also the perfect start for a cross-state parkway. I envision a parkway from I-95 to I-75, roughly following SR 70.

Of course, it could be just wishful thinking, as I'm retiring to a spot a few miles West of Okeechobee on SR 70, and want to get back to great shopping and restaurants easily...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 AM

96 posts, read 345,282 times
Interesting point of view, pslot. They say Rangeline could either be a get-on-and-go parkway, or another Port Saint Lucie Blvd. With Indiantown adding all those homes, and that Copper Creek Development off Glades Cut Off Road, the far future is in the west, since the rest of PSL is about built out. Psl's real future lies south of Tradition Parkway Corridor and west of 95. Guess we all will have to wait and see.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:24 PM

573 posts, read 2,362,075 times
That area you are moving to is turning out really nice! We almost built our second house there. Good luck to you. It's far away from the traffic, but within 10 mins of shopping. Ooooh, you're not going to be a pslOldTimer by address anymore, I'm sure you will always hold PSL close to your heart. : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Of course, it could be just wishful thinking, as I'm retiring to a spot a few miles West of Okeechobee on SR 70, and want to get back to great shopping and restaurants easily...

Old 06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,169,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
...... is there enough people in the Western part of Port St. Lucie with disposable income to support a full-fledged mall? I dunno about that.....
Yes, I have to say there would be.
Everyone would go there, from all around Gatlin area, back to becker, as well as going all the way up to PSL west.
I hear people back there moaning (I was one of them), that it is insane anymore to drive to Treasure Coast Mall, because of the traffic, and the roads (inconvinience), we have to take. (psl blvd, to US 1 all the way down to the mall, or the back way over becker rd.)
Many living in PSL west don't even bother anymore, and head on up to Vero instead (Me and my friends started doing that too....)
Sorry, the Treasure coast mall is much to be desired for some....

Old 06-20-2007, 10:15 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,342,025 times
Heck, I live about 500 yards from the St. Lucie River, on the West side, and I try like heck to avoid crossing the river towards US 1 during the day. I don't know how folks from west of the Turnpike can stand to come East. The Crosstown Parkway will help, but it will be years before it's completed -- they don't even know where it will cross the river, yet. I'll head out West before I'll go East -- especially when you consider that the Treasure Coast Mall and much of the other shopping is in Martin County, and my sales tax revenue is going to them. I'd rather keep it at home where I will get some benefits.

Also, just like those folks who mentioned they go to Vero now, don't forget that many people will come down from Vero if there is a good draw. They won't travel into PSL or over to US 1, but they will dash down the Interstate.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:47 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,169,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Heck, I live about 500 yards from the St. Lucie River, on the West side, and I try like heck to avoid crossing the river towards US 1 during the day. I don't know how folks from west of the Turnpike can stand to come East. The Crosstown Parkway will help, but it will be years before it's completed -- they don't even know where it will cross the river, yet. I'll head out West before I'll go East -- especially when you consider that the Treasure Coast Mall and much of the other shopping is in Martin County, and my sales tax revenue is going to them. I'd rather keep it at home where I will get some benefits.

Also, just like those folks who mentioned they go to Vero now, don't forget that many people will come down from Vero if there is a good draw. They won't travel into PSL or over to US 1, but they will dash down the Interstate.
Amen, well said (as usual, or.... mmhhhhhh...most of the time ? )
If they are building something, they will come.
And, since the PSL area population kind of "spread" over to the West, there is NO DOUBT in my mind, that offering a great mall and such there, would be a HUGE success.
PSLOT is right....people WOULD come down from Vero also, as long there is a nice shopping possibility worth coming to...us girls will be there, FRONT and CENTER

Old 06-30-2007, 07:45 AM

26 posts, read 109,598 times
PSL is a middle-class town (except for a few subdivisions) so I don't think the mall will be upscale. Consider that the Treasure Coast Mall in Martin County is losing their higher-end tenants and MC is much more wealthier than St. Lucie

Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 PM

That's ridiculous! We in Psl are not middle class! Tesoro, Pga, Verano, Saint James, may I name more? Port St. Lucie is a very nice and sucessful adult city. The is nothing plain about Port Saint Lucie. If YOU Don't live in Psl, take a day or two to explore the city. In my opinion the developers of the mall will realize how nice St. Lucie and Martin are. Look at Tiger Woods! He lives in Martin! We are not mediocre.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 PM

Movingback2pa is right. Port saint Lucie is WAY overdue for a mall. Visit Welcome to Taubman Online, and look at their portfolio. They even said they were shooting for a different tenant mix than that of the two simon malls on the Treasure Coast. Look at it this way, it's just down the road form Tesoro, so maybe............

Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM

9 posts, read 41,529 times
Default Mall in western PSL

Early Mall Plans Reveal Tradition Has 'Main Street' (http://www.traditionfl.com/Press/Releases/052307.html - broken link)

Press release confirming mall out west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach