U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM

4,445 posts, read 9,218,861 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in the Stuart area. I spent some time on the West Coast (Santa Barabra, CA) and the Pacific NW...and didn't like it. Live now along Connecticut coast and it's OK. I have some family down in South Florida. I am not real up on moving to their area to rise kids (Hollywood ) but might consider Martin County since they say the schools are good. I was wondering what some folks who relocated to the Stuart area think of it. A list or pros and cons would be interseting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 04:49 PM

50 posts, read 182,698 times
as much as i hate FL, i will honestly tell you Stuart (martin county) is nice for the most part...and alot of people from CT, NY, NJ have moved/live part time in the area...I would suggest staying North of palm beach county...the state is turning to **** and its moving north more every year.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,450,323 times
One thing nice about Martin County is there is a height restriction. Nothing over four stories. There are no high rises here.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 AM

578 posts, read 1,622,045 times
I think Martin County has a lot to offer but you should comapre the home prices and everything else with St. Lucie County. I found that home prices alone were much higher than St. Lucie county. Do your homework though.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:44 PM

6,328 posts, read 5,475,515 times
Default Stuart/Martin Co.

Stuart is the heart of Martin county, but I would suggest looking beyond the city limits for purposes of evaluation. Too often post's of a positive (home town loyalist) nature, wind up being a "competition", and this is not the case. This is not a "were better" post but more of my experiences type of post. My wife and I worked here most of our adult years, and have raised 4 children here. All received quality educations (thru HS) and are either in college, graduate school or serving in the armed forces.
Martin Co. presents a unique living environment (whole-isticaly speaking). Opportunities such as affordable housing, work, educational, recreational, and natural resources are available for residents. I believe this area represents a balance rarely found anywhere, not just in Florida, but regionally. With that said... it would seem a natural question is "how come"?

Certainly anyone can find objective qualities but one must experience the subjective attributes to become a "home town". One poster noted housing cost as being higher, and that is correct. I suppose the same question must be ask (again)... "how come"?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 22,550 times
Martin County is one of the more conservative counties in all of Florida, Stuart is okay but nothing to scream about or write back to your mother about. Yeah, it's not like Jacksonville were I was once, getting woken up at 1:00AM by a bunch of......" gold toothed inner city, at-risk-youths" shooting at each other! But the place is rather dull with not much to see or do, the locals vary in personality with a growing number of young women with really rotten attitudes; the mean spirtedness from "Port Fierce" starting to spill over into here. Hard economic times turns the place into an example of sorrow and desperation but hopefully things will get better soon. And the locals wouldn't know what to do or how to react if a HobbyTownUSA store opened up around here! God forbid, right?!

What else? Oh yeah, the public access channel, MCTV 20, is extremely boring! I understand it's public access but there is a certain sort of grassroots fun that can be found with that type of medium. Usually you can find really entertaining low-budget shows, not so on MCTV 20 which has strict, conservative rules against anything odd or creative. Sad but true. It's not too bad here in Stuart or Stumbleton, as I think it should be called, but I look farward to the day I can to move out of here to some place a lot more interesting. Waaaaay out west, maybe.

One other thing, be very aware of the Martin County Sheriffs department. I have nothing against local law enforcment but they are very, very militant and I have heard many chilling horror stories from some of the long time resisdents. But come here are find out for yourself, Stuart is way better then Boca Raton! That city is a bloody abortion!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 13,591 times
I am in the process of trying to move to Stuart Florida from NJ w/ my girl we are 27...her parents live there and I just love the area...As a person that like to be outside and the hot weather I dont think theres a better place...I love being on my boat and waverunner!! From what I can tell there is a great mixture of people between natives and transplants from nj, ny, and pa...The only problem that I can forsee is that she is a teacher/ coach and has a good job up here and Ive heard mixed reviews on the job market for teachers in FL right now! Does anybody have any insight into the teaching market????

Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,249,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaDart View Post
Martin County is one of the more conservative counties in all of Florida, Stuart is okay but nothing to scream about or write back to your mother about. Yeah, it's not like Jacksonville were I was once, getting woken up at 1:00AM by a bunch of......" gold toothed inner city, at-risk-youths" shooting at each other! But the place is rather dull with not much to see or do, the locals vary in personality with a growing number of young women with really rotten attitudes; the mean spirtedness from "Port Fierce" starting to spill over into here. Hard economic times turns the place into an example of sorrow and desperation but hopefully things will get better soon. And the locals wouldn't know what to do or how to react if a HobbyTownUSA store opened up around here! God forbid, right?!

What else? Oh yeah, the public access channel, MCTV 20, is extremely boring! I understand it's public access but there is a certain sort of grassroots fun that can be found with that type of medium. Usually you can find really entertaining low-budget shows, not so on MCTV 20 which has strict, conservative rules against anything odd or creative. Sad but true. It's not too bad here in Stuart or Stumbleton, as I think it should be called, but I look farward to the day I can to move out of here to some place a lot more interesting. Waaaaay out west, maybe.

One other thing, be very aware of the Martin County Sheriffs department. I have nothing against local law enforcment but they are very, very militant and I have heard many chilling horror stories from some of the long time resisdents. But come here are find out for yourself, Stuart is way better then Boca Raton! That city is a bloody abortion!
Have to agree with you about being dull, that's why we moved.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:25 AM

578 posts, read 1,622,045 times
Well just drive the speed limit and keep your mouth closed so your gold teeth don't show and you will be ok. This whole area is quiet. Just the way it was ment to be. If you want crazy go south of PGA blvd and you will get crazy

Old 04-24-2009, 08:43 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 604,670 times
it is a small town and that is 100% the feel that it has. i lived there for 12 years and loved it. great schools and great friends were made, i go back all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach