Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:05 PM

65 posts, read 196,883 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am a raw foodist/vegan who is moving to Stuart soon. My mother, who has lived there for 15 years, says the produce is really just "eh" but I wonder how hard she's looked for alterative sources other than Stuart Fine Foods (which I understand changed ownership).

Can someone point me to their favorite sources for fresh, delicious fruits and veggies in Stuart?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 10:00 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
I believe there is a veg/fruit stand on Dixie highway that has good produce.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
There is a place on A1A called Tausha's where I get most of my produce. I think her prices are pretty good & have never had anything bad (so far) from there....

My cousin swears by a place on Indian River Drive in Jensen Beach though...(she's a "foodie" & makes everything from scratch) & says THEY have the best quality & prices...I don't know the name of it, but it's just before JB Blvd. on the left if you're heading north from Sewell's Point along the river...

Old 04-17-2009, 07:12 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Green market on Sundays at city hall.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:13 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
A lot of the raw food folks go to the Publix Greenwise market or Whole Foods, both in Palm Beach Gardens.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
A lot of the raw food folks go to the Publix Greenwise market or Whole Foods, both in Palm Beach Gardens.
Right. Moving near a Whole Foods was one of my number one priorities when I realized the local problems vegs in Fl (to my shock).

Publix told me they soak the greens extensively and it can't be changed. That's why the few meager greens they have are already "stale" (yellow) by the time they put them out. Then they shrink wrap them LOL.

Then I found the local weekly market (at Ft Pierce in my case) and it works for me.

ACTUALLY WYNN DIXIE'S PRODUCE IS MUCH BETTER THAN PUBLIX. (but nowhere near the huge selection of WHole Foods, true)

They routinely have heads of mustard turnip and collard greens, escarole frizee, kale, cabbage, bok choy etc that are still crisp and fresh NOT SHRINK wrapped LOL....and they are MUCH NICER to the customer than Publix. The PUblix people threw a temper tantrum when I asked if they had a fresher head of escarole and the guy punted all the produce to the floor cursing me.

I asked if I could get some "throwaway" pieces for my 2 small birds who live here and they said absoultely not.

When I asked the guy at Winn Dixie not only did he say "of course" and start to make small talk about the birds but he went and got me 2 stalks of EVERY SINGLE type of green they had in the store. Very nice. And he only charged me .75 for the bunch which weighed half a pound and I offered to pay whatever he wanted but he said that was fine.

Check Wynn Dixie before going too far if you just need something for a couple days. Dont forget to take a big cold pack thing for the road if you go far they wilt fast here in FL after May or so.

Unfortunately though I still need to drive all the way to Whole Foods on occasion, I just can't stand the limitations here. I plan to still move, too, to be near one. pathetic huh?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Unfortunately though I still need to drive all the way to Whole Foods on occasion, I just can't stand the limitations here. I plan to still move, too, to be near one. pathetic huh?
LOL!!! I wish I could AFFORD Whole Foods all the time!! Most of their stuff is good, but I've been consistantly disappointed in their "deli" stuff. Being a vegetarian, I use a lotta tofu/seitan/etc., & though their stuff looks great in the case, when I get home & start eating it, it's DEFINITELY not worth the price!!!

You're right...Publix is horrible (AND at top-dollar to boot!!!) I don't even set foot in there anymore. Winn-Dixie "winns" hands-down on their produce!!! What I don't find at the stand, I get from Winn-Dixie...

Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
LOL!!! I wish I could AFFORD Whole Foods all the time!! Most of their stuff is good, but I've been consistantly disappointed in their "deli" stuff. Being a vegetarian, I use a lotta tofu/seitan/etc., & though their stuff looks great in the case, when I get home & start eating it, it's DEFINITELY not worth the price!!!

You're right...Publix is horrible (AND at top-dollar to boot!!!) I don't even set foot in there anymore. Winn-Dixie "winns" hands-down on their produce!!! What I don't find at the stand, I get from Winn-Dixie...
LOL I CANT afford it all the time. You're right about the tofu products. And yes, Publix has the nerve to put three stalks of kale in SHRINK WRAP (already wilted at that) and charge 3.95.

I'm a veg also. So when they charge 3.95 for a head of say, chard, that means I have to eat chard more than I would like HA HA. Up in Philly I had an asian market right down the street and it was the LEVITTOWN suburbs a blue collar area...but we had more diversity up there with alot of asians.

I can't believe I've been here over a year and JUST FOUND OUT about the great Wynn Dixie produce. (I just moved near one)....I was remembering the OLD Wynn Dixie in Tequesta that was nothing great many years ago.

Bummer all us vegetarians don't live near each other. We could have a veg co op. The mustard greens were awesome this week but HUGE LOL.

I also started adding one or two eggs to my diet per month down here to cover my b12 and non bean bases LOL. There's a farmer with chickens nearby so I go over there and have no moral dilemma since I see them laying and free range for real.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Bummer all us vegetarians don't live near each other. We could have a veg co op. The mustard greens were awesome this week but HUGE LOL.
There was (is?) a place in Ithaca NY called "Greenstar" that was a veggie's "paradise"!!! Unbelievably great produce, prepared food, "green" items, incense, home-made granolas, etc. Ahhh.....memories....

They tried to start something to that effect in Stuart on Indian Street called "Nature's Way Cafe". I went in there, & the food (though good) was so outrageously priced I never went back. ($8.00 for 1/4 # of tabouli as an example!!!)

They went out in about a year & now someone else has taken over (can't think of the name...), but it's basically the same...

Oh & btw, I call Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck Foods"....

Last edited by Jungle George; 04-17-2009 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 AM

I tried a new recipe last night that was great!!

1 head cabbage
1 block extra-firm tofu
1 large onion
olive oil
1 tbsp Monterey Steak Seasoning

Chop onion & cube tofu. Start frying on med-high in olive oil in large skillet, & while that's going, chop cabbage & add to top of onion/tofu mix. Sprinkle seasoning over cabbage & stir to mix in.

Fry 'til cabbage & onions & tofu start to brown (past the "wilting" stage) (about 25 minutes).

Easy & good!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach