Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,720 times

Advertisements

Yes, that is correct. We sold our home. We will be Florida bound on May 29th. Last month we spent some time looking at homes in Vero. Some areas where not desireable. But others were very nice.

Are there any areas to avoid? Some of the homes we looked at were nice, but then two or three "ghetto" homes right next to it. Please, Please don't slam me for the ghetto comment. But it is accurate.
We are heading back down in the next few days. Our realtor has been researching a bunch more homes for us to view.

Any thoughts on Vero. It is a busy area. We know that already. And please, stay off the "snob" comments too. thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 AM

67 posts, read 311,880 times
I'm jealous... we'll move someday, too, though. I'm looking at Sebastian (near Vero) but I don't know a lot about it - been through there once and looked at plenty of homes online and on Google Earth.

BTW, try Google Earth before you go look at a home. See an overhead view, drive down the street with street view, etc. Sure is an easy way to knock some out before you waste your time.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:28 AM

When we find a home that we like, we then go on google earth. Its amazing what you can find next to that wonderful house.

Sebastian is a nice area. We have looked at few homes in that area too.

good luck to you. It took us almost a year to sale. But we did it. And we are so ready.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
Yes, that is correct. We sold our home. We will be Florida bound on May 29th. Last month we spent some time looking at homes in Vero. Some areas where not desireable. But others were very nice.

Are there any areas to avoid? Some of the homes we looked at were nice, but then two or three "ghetto" homes right next to it. Please, Please don't slam me for the ghetto comment. But it is accurate.
We are heading back down in the next few days. Our realtor has been researching a bunch more homes for us to view.

Any thoughts on Vero. It is a busy area. We know that already. And please, stay off the "snob" comments too. thanks a bunch
LOL busy? No, not at all. SNOB? NO, not at all we have our share of trashy people just like everywhere ha ha. They are LAID BACK here, NOT snobby that's some wierd thing people say without even spending any time here. Of ALL The coastal towns, I'd say Vero and Sebastian are the LEAST snobby from here down.

If you tell me the areas you didn't like I can tell you which areas you will like. And what else do you want?

The main decision is do you want to be west by the mall or east by the water, even west is only 15 minutes from the beach but still....

Do you insist on no HOA? That is your challenge with finding homes that are nowhere near other homes with deferred maintenance. Alot of renters everywhere in Fl or alot of entry level people who can't afford a house to begin with.

There are small and adorable to luxury houses in every price range but yes, the older smaller neighborhoods have a bit of wierdness potential. Define what your criteria of ghetto is. For example does it offend you that a single home on a block has a canvas carpoort on metal poles? HA HA seriously, I saw that.

How much is your budget?

You should NEVER BUY NOW just RENT. Also watch your realtor they ALL put their own interests and choices first. My former realtor insisted I should NEVER look near route one and I ended up BUYING right on route one in a great community and the location is awesome. She just said that because she never took the time to even consider this area.

ALL of Florida has neighborhoods with "iffy" houses intermingled with good houses, thus the challenge.

But Vero is the best, IMO if you can move here and still have employment.

If you want me to cruise by some houses for you, I can, I'm an EXCELLENT house shopper LOL.....It took me six months of actively flying down here from Broward up to Indian River to find and chose Vero.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks for your help. I think one address was on 42nd sw ave. We looked at so many homes that day. We did like one on 54th ave. Not sure what the rest of the area surrounding it is like?

Price range: under $260,000. More than a 1/4 acre of land. We have our motorcycles and a refurbed Bug that will need a place to stay. The home on 54th has a Ted Shed. Needs to be bigger, but it could hold the bikes and bug. And a spot to have a pool or one included. Hoa's aren't a bad thing per say, but I don't want to live like the Stepford Wives either. Or someone telling me how many tree's we can have or not.

It is amazing how people show their homes. Ours was always immaculate. This is no joke, we walked into one home and there was a cat in the kitchen. We are not cat people. great for those who are. But the house was a hole. The little boy comes up to us and asks if anyone was allergic to cats? Yep, me Then he proceeds to tell us not to enter his bedroom, that the cat in there sheds like a storm and hair was everywhere. As we were leaving this lovely establishment, the little boy was standing guard by his door so we wouldn't take peak.

We went back to our hotel and cleansed our whole body with Dial after that episode! lol.

anyway, thanks for your help. We wouldn't even have a clue on where to rent a place for a short time. It will all work out in the end.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I think one address was on 42nd sw ave. We looked at so many homes that day. We did like one on 54th ave. Not sure what the rest of the area surrounding it is like?

Price range: under $260,000. More than a 1/4 acre of land. We have our motorcycles and a refurbed Bug that will need a place to stay. The home on 54th has a Ted Shed. Needs to be bigger, but it could hold the bikes and bug. And a spot to have a pool or one included. Hoa's aren't a bad thing per say, but I don't want to live like the Stepford Wives either. Or someone telling me how many tree's we can have or not.

It is amazing how people show their homes. Ours was always immaculate. This is no joke, we walked into one home and there was a cat in the kitchen. We are not cat people. great for those who are. But the house was a hole. The little boy comes up to us and asks if anyone was allergic to cats? Yep, me Then he proceeds to tell us not to enter his bedroom, that the cat in there sheds like a storm and hair was everywhere. As we were leaving this lovely establishment, the little boy was standing guard by his door so we wouldn't take peak.

We went back to our hotel and cleansed our whole body with Dial after that episode! lol.

anyway, thanks for your help. We wouldn't even have a clue on where to rent a place for a short time. It will all work out in the end.
LOL. I've been using Dial since the 1960's ha ha ha.

OK well you were near the mall, west. The 54th ave that intersects with 20 (route 60)? That's Ryanwood?

You really want to watch that area there's alot of junky houses/streets there and you're spending BIG MONEY for there. I don't know why she took you there...see?

There are two registered sex offender right one block away and I ran into one of them at HOME DEPOT

My old rental sells for 215,000 and it's brand new, gorgeous, 2400 sq ft with the back open to an estuary and a fancy clubhouse and pool. NOT for you, just sayin....right by there at 66th. The houses orgininally sold for 385,000 and now they are very low. Even from the builder they're in the low-ish 240's.

If you go up to the corner at 58th or 66th (better) and make a right (go north) you will see a much better "rural" "country" type of feel and not the development type of streets down by 20th.

I know where you looked on the south side of 20th southwest...looked for 42nd but I couldnt find it on google...I don't know that particular street but it's very iffy over there with some of the driveways having a canvas carport on metal poles .

If I were looking for a bit of land, I'd go further a couple blocks to 66th and go north a few streets. Its the street where the mall stops Dillards. You definitely can get a freaking HOUSE with a real GARAGE for 250,000 OMG. LOL

Make a right drive up there and you'll love it. very open and no crap showing in yards lol

Alot of horses, too it's farm-ey. But you could still ride a bike to the mall, it's close (regular bike)....I get my oranges from Petersons there. I used to live in Woodfield at 66th and 57th. Right behind where you were looking at 54th.

here's an example I pulled off of realtor dot com I have no idea about that particular street, just for example....

3415 63Rd Sq, Vero Beach, FL, 32966 - MLS ID#71320 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3415-63Rd-Sq_Vero-Beach_FL_32966_1099910641?source=web - broken link)

You could further west to other developments that are ok too on 20th to the 70's-80's. They have some cute old school houses there and not as iffy as the 54th area. I almost wanted to buy an older 1960's retro house but wanted to be by the water.

You'll find something for sure. If you go on Trulia you can go to the bottom of the page and click on "view all comps" and see what these houses actually SOLD FOR, always much less than the listed price.

Realtor.com has rentals, too. I really really urge you NOT to buy before living here. There is so much to see and so many choices. Just MHO

Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 PM

Look at this for example right off 58th the main drag, 5 bedrooms and a POOL on a cul de sac.

I'm gonna stop looking now I could get carried away LOLOL.

But I'm going to target over there tonight and gonna drive by out of curiosity now.

1239 Tan Oak Pl, Vero Beach, FL, 32966 - MLS ID#62749 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

That's a nice area NOT congested on that side of 20th going down 58th and everything is pretty new.

DOnt know if it's hoa or not but a good example. Go down the page and look at the map then hit birds eye view to see all the open space.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:54 PM

We copied all the info that you are giving us. Then we will talk to our realtor. We meet up with her next Friday.
The house on 54th is, 1095 54th ave. Nice home. Only 6houses on each side of the road.

How do you find out about the sex offenders in the area? Shouldn't they disclose that information when selling a home?

Anyway, we have been looking at homes on Realtor.com for the past 11 months. And noticed how the prices have dropped. We didn't get spanked as bad here in OH.

We are looking for a bit more yard space. The 4 bed, pool, 3 car garage is great. But, we would like some acreage. Its out there. just not sure where.

thanks Runningwithscissors. Your a rock full of information. thats what we need. Local info.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
We copied all the info that you are giving us. Then we will talk to our realtor. We meet up with her next Friday.
The house on 54th is, 1095 54th ave. Nice home. Only 6houses on each side of the road.

How do you find out about the sex offenders in the area? Shouldn't they disclose that information when selling a home?

Anyway, we have been looking at homes on Realtor.com for the past 11 months. And noticed how the prices have dropped. We didn't get spanked as bad here in OH.

We are looking for a bit more yard space. The 4 bed, pool, 3 car garage is great. But, we would like some acreage. Its out there. just not sure where.

thanks Runningwithscissors. Your a rock full of information. thats what we need. Local info.
AH.......that block is great... on google anyway. Bummer I was just down 12th but didn't see that part of 54th ave. I have to go back up there tomorrow to the mall, I'll go by

The BAD one is on the OTHER side of 20th LOL the north side, you're on the south side. I love it over there. Even on 12th or 10 there are some big properties with horses and stuff, with normal sized houses on the same block. I say horses because that means there is more property usually around them.

I drove down the bad block tonight and thought no WAY is she referring to this dumpy block, there were ATVs all over the street with people doing mechanical work, furniture out on porches, boats and other stuff IN THE STREET, bunch of kids etc etc. And alot of deferred maintenance. More like a 80,000 neighborhood not a 250,000 one ha ha.

I drove by the huge house, it's in a development with no yard but it's right by the one you looked at.

The sex offender thing is tricky because Vero has a high number but it's really never a problem on the news or anything. But if you have kids ....

just google florida sex offender registry, enter search neighborhoods and put the address in and select map for 5 miles around and you'll see them all.

I always tell the Home Depot story because that goof was the first person I met here, in the parking lot, trying to load my mulch for me and being a close talker like on Seinfeld. I knew right away he was wacky so I slammed my hatch and took off... I didnt know he lived really near me until i saw his PHOTO ON TV our public access channel broadcasts them all the time.

That's why I knew about the two of them (him and ANOTHER ONE on the SAME BLOCK) as soon as you said 54th. He has creepy blue clear eyes you'll see him on the registry but his NEW photo is blurry. The old one was crystal clear. Imagine my SHOCK.

SOMETIMES you have an old guy who couldn't possibly do anything anymore LOL like 70 years old or something but this guy is NOT, he's about 40. There's an old one on the corner of 66th and 20th in the condos there but that didn't bother me, he's half my size lol. BUT I LIKE WALKING so it really matters to me who's in my neighborhood. Of course that doesnt mean one wont move in.

Another areas I looked at in Sebastian has a bone fide rapist right there and a second offender right next door, too.

The trick here is...when you drive, say North up 66th there are several streets running east and west, you have to turn down them ...then turn again on the other street that run north to south because there are alot of nice blocks with acreage. They're all number streets so it gets confusing.

Just tonight I saw two great streets off 66th for example, they are wooded (you may not be interested in that but I like it and it's cooler)....where the Indian River Riding Club is (horses) and all the houses were set REALLY far back, LARGE homes but there were several in your price range as well. I poked around back there for awhile. I turned down one of them cuz there was a For Rent sign, I was thinking HEY this is a good block she could rent here for awile....then I got to the rental LOL what a dumpy little place at the end of the block the only "bad" house on the street. Florida. It happens.

When I moved here my goal was to be on water so I never spent much time seriously looking street by street but I did drive through each neighborhood and each section to get a feel for them. Just in case I found something I loved or changed my mind about water or whatever...

REALLY....don't rush to buy before you live here there is so much to see.

If you want me to do a drive by anywhere else just lemme know LOL. YOu can see I"m opinionated but I'm the type that can live in any neighborhood as long as basic things are ok. The house you liked is on the east side of 58th the main drag to the shopping. I looked on the west side also when I first moved here, because it looked old fashioned Florida and heavy trees and there's some horses on 58th so I thought it might be nice back there but it was dumpy there so dont bother going west of 58th in that area. I dont know about further up.

REAltor dot com has rentals too, and your agent should be able to get you one as well. Mine did ...I contacted her from Philly and flew down and she showed me 5 but I took the very first one. In Woodfield.

If you have bikes, check out Earl's biker bar it's an awesome bar on the water in Sebastian. MOBBED every weekend. And fun just like Captain Hirams.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 PM

check it out...here's a cute little old school florida house on 88th ....5 minutes from 66th at the mall.

Nothing glamorous but cheap! 795 per month....and it looks nice inside and has a good size lot....

2400 88Th Avenue, Vero Beach, FL, 32966 - MLS ID#77982 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2400-88Th-Avenue_Vero-Beach_FL_32966_1106154150 - broken link)

ditto on 88th 750.00

2245 87Th Ct., Vero Beach, FL, 32966 - MLS ID#79477 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2245-87Th-Ct_Vero-Beach_FL_32966_1107464336 - broken link)

same area 750:
8700 22 St., Vero Beach, FL, 32966 - MLS ID#79092 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/8700-22--St_Vero-Beach_FL_32966_1107157926 - broken link)

big lots between the mall and dogertown on the north side of 20th close to the mall...:
2410 47Th Avenua, Vero Beach, FL, 32966 - MLS ID#78612 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2410-47Th-Avenua_Vero-Beach_FL_32966_1106676173 - broken link)

big house 2800 sq ft with a pool again near the mall 1300 though:

7720 15Th Street, Vero Beach, FL, 32966 - MLS ID#79175 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7720-15Th-Street_Vero-Beach_FL_32966_1107239083 - broken link)

there are a TON of rentals once you go over 1200.....

pointe west nice house by the mall
same area as the cheap ones pretty much, too"

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7666-14Th-Ln_Vero-Beach_FL_32966_1108252905 (broken link)

OK I'm done now....just some ideas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach