Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 02:34 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times

Advertisements

So I was visiting with my mother in Port St. Lucie this past weekend, and she was talking about how she needed to remove a couple of cabbage palms from her backyard which she thought were dangerously too close to the house (in case of a hurricane).

I have heard in the past that mature palm trees can actually fetch a price, and was wondering if anybody knew of any tree removal services or procedures that will PAY to take mature trees for resale, or simply just take them for free and resell them? They are cabbage palms, probably 20 ft. tall?

Any help is appreciated. I just think it would be such a waste of nice trees to chop them down!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,742,779 times
Nope, Cabbage palms/sable palms/palmetto they grow anywhere and everywhere. They are very hardy palms; they grow in the sand next to the ocean and also in brakish water by a lake. I planted a mature one in my yard and the guy that brought it over pulled it out of the ground, it was growing next to the road. He charged me to bring it over in the trailer (it was 25ft. tall) clean it and palnt it about $125.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,189,453 times
Cabbage "trash" palms are basically weeds. I waited until I needed to have my drainfield replaced, located it right under a patch of trash-palms and didn't have to pay to have these overgrown weeds removed. I see nothing attractive or useful about an overgrown stick with a few fans on top that can't even be used for lumber.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 8,298 times
What about other ... more desireable mature palms....such as Bismarkia, Washingtonia, Ponytail and others?

Old 04-11-2010, 11:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Washingtonias are not more desirable, they are native to the western USA/Mexico and they snap like toothpicks in a hurricane. They also get very tall and turn into lightning magnets.

Cabbage palms are actually considered one of the most hurricane resistant trees in Florida, they will outperform all of the others in high winds.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:20 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,654,361 times
I like cabbage palms and they are indigenous Florida palms. All our cabbage palms hung in there during charlie and we were right next to where the highest winds were.

Giant oaks were taken down and crumbled in the street but the cabbage palms were all standing.

Don't know if Cabbage Palms have any resale value. Others do, canaries are worth a good buck.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:32 AM

578 posts, read 1,776,286 times
I would look in the phone book and call local nurserys. You might get a better idea from them.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,586 times
Default Tree Removal

I bought a house and have to remove a few trees, one dying palm and a few water oaks. Can someone recommend someone for this.
Thanks,
Sid

Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,515,222 times
Cabbage palms, hate'em. They do grow anywhere. And the seeds fly in and plant themselves in your yard, if you have a big yard you could have a small tree growing before you even notice it.

Bismarkia might fetch a price, but I hear they are not easy to transplant and expect to live. Where mature-ish trees are more in demand are in counties that have tree size requirements for new developments. They don't want a new development to look stark, so they have a 6-8 fit requirement for new trees. However, there are thousands of acres of land that are nurseries specifically growing such trees, that can pull them up and replant them, and are probably wholesale to the trade.

Best best, try craigslist and give them away for free to anyone that will dig them up, remove them, and refill the hole. This sometimes works.

Otherwise, to just remove them, you can search for tree removal services, and stump grinding, also generally cheaper on craigslist. Check for licensing etc. Removing trees can be dangerous and you don't need someone getting hurt on your property and suing you.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,135 times
You would be better off having a tree service who is licensed and bonded to it. If not you would need to check your home owners policy to insure anyone else doing the removal is covered if an accident happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach