U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 AM
MC5 MC5 started this thread

9 posts, read 37,852 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of an realtor or agency that handles short term rentals?

I've never done this before, so not sure how it goes....I've found a lot of rentals on Realtor.com, Craigslist, etc. Are these open to short term options or does one have to go through a specific property management company that specializes in short term?

Does anyone have or know of someone looking to rent their property in the Jensen Beach area for the next few months while they head north to escape the summer?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 10:11 AM

14,267 posts, read 16,792,996 times
I just went through this, and I can only suggest keeping your eye on the local paper (you can look at classified ads online) and watching Craig's List daily. Also, many real estate agents list rentals, so you might want to contact a few. Depends on your budget. I admit I didn't plan this well, since I found several places, even a private house, but I waited until the last minute. I'm paying about $400 a month more because of my procrastination.

Keep one thing in mind. By law, if you rent in FL for less than 181 days, you are supposed to pay 11% room tax. I've done this before, so I was aware of it, but most private owners don't add it, since they apparently don't claim the rent as income. A real estate agent will always add this tax to the advertised rental price. The private owners from whom I'm renting in Vero Beach did that too which was a surprise. I'm in an over 55 community and had to pay $100 (non-refundable) for an application. I also had to pay for 2 months in advance. The ad said nothing about a 2 month minimum. So ask a lot of questions. I also paid a $300 security deposit I wasn't expecting. I sent emails and made phone calls, but when I got over here there was so much "this is extra...this is extra.." so I'm paying much more than I originally calculated.

I just came back to edit my post, since I posted the ad and I think that's against the rules. It says nothing about a minimum rental period, paying in advance for 2 months + security, or the $100 application fee and the high-speed internet included isn't in the home (the clubhouse has wireless) so I'm paying Comcast $24.95 a month. The owners didn't force me to take it, but I had nowhere else to go.

Sorry I wasn't much help. Good luck.

Edit: just want to add that I did find some temp rentals through real estate companies, but they were all $500+ a week. Most had a minimum 3 to 6 month period. Sometimes it depends on if there is an HOA with restrictions. Not sure what you want to pay. I found a small beach inn here in Vero Beach that's renting efficiencies & 1 bedroom apartments with all utilities starting at $800 a month for the summer. If you're interested, I'll send you a message with the info.

(http://treasure.craigslist.org/sub/1192977284.html - broken link)

Last edited by justNancy; 06-16-2009 at 11:11 AM..

Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
MC5 MC5 started this thread

9 posts, read 37,852 times
Wow! Thanks for all of that info....alot that I did not know, like the room tax thing. That's crazy. But I'll check the classifieds, and I've already been checking Craigslist daily.

The beach inn in Vero sounds charming, but Vero is just too far away from work for us.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 AM

10 posts, read 25,807 times
Check out vrbo.com (Vacation Rentals By Owner). I just found it this week! Find rentals anywhere. Some vacation rentals rent for long term!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:52 AM

4,501 posts, read 7,573,016 times
Also vacationrentals.com or here ...
Bed & Breakfast Port St. Lucie FL Florida Hotels Vacation Rentals Cabins

also be wary of craigslist as many people that are in foreclosure will rent you ANYTHING to make a buck and you will have no recourse once you get here.

Are you looking for short term because you are working at the Power Plant???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach