Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:42 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
I have lived near tracks before and eventually you learn to sleep right through the whistles.
Depends on the reason you can't sleep. I know you are only trying to help, but please don't put everyone in the same category. I mean, if I get bitten by a bee, it will hurt a lot, but I can't say "you'll get over it" to someone who is allergic to bees. I think I know after 50+ years what I can tolerate. I do agree that the longer you live in a home, the more you adapt to sounds and the environment around you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
One thing I check for is proximity to a commercial area. There's nothing like the sound of a dumpster being delivered (dropped) at 4 a.m. once a week. We had this issue back in Illinois. We were blocks from a business establishment but at 4 a.m. sound can carry.
Thanks. Good idea. I once stayed in a home that was very quiet when I moved in on Saturday, but on Monday morning at about 4:30 the supermarket up the road got a delivery. So I know what you mean. The trucks made a racket. I'm currently staying in a ground floor condo. Every morning at 5am the people upstairs flush the toilet. Then they start walking around. One morning I slept until after 8, so I figured I finally got used to it. Turned out they were away for a couple of days!

Millions of people live next to highways, near elevated trains and in first floor apartments. Most of them sleep soundly. I envy them. I really do. I'm just not one of them.

Last edited by justNancy; 07-09-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 AM

578 posts, read 1,776,832 times
Well what I was trying to say was that you will get used to your environment and eventually you will not even notice the Train. Did you ever see the movie My Cousin Vinnie? He was having a problem sleeping and got more sleep while staying in jail. That is what I ment. Hey I go to bed every night with pain. I have to sleep a certain way or I can't get to sleep. Rather than medicating myself I have learned to tolerate it and have found a way to get enough sleep. You don't get stung by a bee every day so naturally that is something that would keep me awake if it still hurt.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
When I was released from the VA hospital in PA after I was being treated for wounds I got from combat duty, I moved into a 3 story 12 unit apartment. It was a good location and since I was very thin, at the time (hahaha), and ice cream parlor was a block away I thought the location was just grat. Also, the apartment was across the street from what I believe to be a very large 50 + acre "vacant lot".....

I could not sleep until the daylight hours and never slept during the night hours. It was my 3rd month living in the apartment when I heard a window rattling noise at 815am on Sunday that sounded like the apartment just exploded....Sounds crazy but I was sleeping at that time. The noise and all noise is a terrible experience for me then and now so I ran outside still in my PJs only to see 2 locomotives in the once vacant lot - hooking up to around 3 or 4 train cars........HOLY COW....I discovered that the vacant lot was owned by train and plane builder Boeing Vertol whose helicopters and final inspection of tains and choppers was performed in the vacant lot on Sundays around 8am.

Sounds as if some people do get use to living close to loud hums of autos on major highways or trains going through their building such as in Boston but I need quiet..... I would love to endure night noises but I have tried most everthing and I cannot sleep during the nights due to my military experiences and it would be nice if my days and nights were less noisy..... Impossible, yes so I try to stay away from things that will startle me.... After the trains colliding I moved to a very quiet neighborhood..

Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM

The neighborhood I bought my new home in is so quiet at night (and during the day) that i can hear cars going down I-95 which is about a mile away from me. We have a dog that barks on occassion but nothing other than that. Now contrast that with where our main place is in Miami. Our bedroom faces the parking lot and when someone is outside talking I can hear every word they say. That bothers me but cars coming and going and even the distant train at 3am does not bother me.

Before we bought our home we walked and drove the neighborhood. We talked to neighbors and even came back during the evening hours just to see people and things in their normal state after people were home from work. You can also use Google Earth to locate things in your area. Who knows may be there is a Garbage dump within 5 miles of you or a Factory near by. You certainly can see train tracks.

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising anyones decision to live somewhere but we all make mistakes and your address is not perminant. That is exactly why we are transitioning from Miami to PSL.

They also have those white noise machines that train you to sleep through about anything. You can just pump up the volume if the train is too loud. Your neighbors might complain but at least you can sleep LOL.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:09 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
stevep111, The Florida turnpike is about 3 miles from our home and sometimes we hear a distant and light sound of vehicles ...Talk about nice and quiet ! PSL is just that....

Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
Well what I was trying to say was that you will get used to your environment and eventually you will not even notice the Train. Did you ever see the movie My Cousin Vinnie? .
OMG I love that movie so much.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:01 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
There are freight trains everywhere, along with dumpsters that need picking up at 4 a.m., malls, supermarkets and beer stores that bring in trucks for delivery and unloading. Use your head when looking at property. Sometimes 'close proximity to everything' isn't what it's cut out to be.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 AM

Yeah the nearest McDonalds from me is 3 miles which is just past arms length LOL.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Thanks for your post, Synergy. I agree, which is why I am looking for a quiet neighborhood.

I'm not going to argue with you, Steve. However, I don't appreciate others telling me what I can and can't tolerate. Sorry you have chronic pain - so do I, but that's for a different forum. However, you remind me of the time a friend was dying and everyone kept telling her to do this or that because it worked for them. She finally said she didn't want any more visitors.

All I did was start a thread about the freight train noise.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 AM

Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like I was telling you what you can tolerate. I was just trying to share my experience about tolerating issues. That is what life is about after all. Again if I made you think I was lecturing you about getting over the noise, that was not my intention and I appologize if I did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach