U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 AM

208 posts, read 560,386 times

Advertisements

Is there an issue with chinese drywall in Port St. Lucie area?
Is there anything that we should look out for in terms of better areas?
How are the high schools? Any better than another? And I do not mean just testing grades, but drugs, crime, violence, etc...
How are the beaches? Are they clean? Crowded? Do you have to pay to get over to them?

Thanks, Kristin
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:14 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,728,544 times
Chinese drywall can be anywhere in the whole State and is NOT just in JUST PSL. It was brought about the hurricanes causing a shortage in drywall for buidling and have been found all over.

Newer, not necessarily better, areas are from the Turnpike west. Better is up to your opinion.

I can't comment on the High Schools since I personally don't have a child in them

Beaches are free, clean and plenty of them BUT they are on Hutchinson Island away from the main land area of PSL. You have to cross long bridges to get there. The river is in-between and it's quite large. Much larger than you might think and travels inland quite a ways.

What you didnt ask about is what you are looking to find?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM

578 posts, read 1,622,198 times
I think by now if you had Chineese drywall you would know about it. Nothing would work in your home. There was a story on ESPN about the head coach of the New Orleans Saints. His house in New Orleans was rebuilt using that drywall and now he has to live in his beach house while the entire place is gutted. All the wiring, his AC, water pipes, phone lines, electrical wiring etc... corroded. No need for an inspection to find that stuff now since it has been taken off the market for well over a year or two. All the homes that are infected would be having major problems by now.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,728,544 times
Actually some people won't know necessarily and the house may work just fine. One of the first signs that is noticeable is an odor. It's supposed to smell like sulfur but I thought it smelled metallic. Some have it some don't. Your A/C will be a tell tail sign- look at the coils and see if they are black instead of copper. It also will possibly stop running or have maintenance issues. Look at the bottom of sink at the stopper- it's probably looking a bit strangely colored.

AND...since nobody is building right now it doesn't matter that it's been off the market for the last year or so.

They are still just now discovering homes that have it and it seems the inspection people don't really have a handle on it since its so new to everyone. People that have no idea what this is
are now inspectors.....making money....on unsuspecting homeowners. And the battle goes on.....

Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 AM

208 posts, read 560,386 times
So, nobody in PSL that comes on here has kids in the school system?

We were set on moving to the west coast, but have recently changed our minds. We sold our home and have a rental in Naples for 6 months + 1 day. We found out the school there is a C-.We will not be staying there. we do not mind paying off the lease and finding a home to buy right away, as long as we like the area, it is safe, and the schools are good.
So far, PSL fills all those criteria. We do not need jobs either. (added that since it is one of the first questions everyone is asked on these boards).

Could someone tell me the millage rate? I see there is more than one tax. how does that work? All in one bill? What does water and sewer run for the people in those areas? Is there any assessments coming up we should know about?

If you think of anything else that would be important for a newcomer, please post it along with your overall satisfaction or dissatisfaction.

I know PSL was hit by a few hurricanes a couple years ago. The news reports said minimal damage, which is very good to hear.

Is fishing good in the river? Flooding issues with heavy rains?

Thanks so much. We will be down in Naples on the 8th of August and will be looking for a hotel to rent for a day or 2 in PSL (must allow a dog, shih tzu) . Hoping PSL is what we are looking for.

Thanks, Kristin

Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 AM

192 posts, read 667,768 times
Where is there confirmation that it is off the market? A Comfort Inn was just being finished up with it, in Virgina. That city put a ban on it a month ago and they are making the developer remove all of it.

However, besides two cities in Virgina, there is no ban that took place, taking it off the market anywhere else. There isn't even an importation ban put on it yet. A lot of it is still out there for sale.

It is being found in lots of 2008 construction.

People are still making the discovery as we speak. Unless they caught something in the news about CDW and what it causes in the home, they may not be making the connection, and not know they have it. Others, know about both, but are in serious denial and choose to beleive elves are eating away at their electronics and appliances, or just think that the appliances and electronics themselves were all defective.

Though the signs will be in a home- especially the black wiring pretty quickly, it doesn't mean everyone has looked or made the connection, or even knows much of anything about this contaminated drywall yet.

Not everyone can smell it, depending on what the board is contaminated with, the smells can be different too, from rotten eggs, to sweet vinegar, to spoiled milk, to matches or fireworks, to getting a metalic taste on the tongue.

That is of real concern as heavy metal vapors, especially mercury will give that matalic taste. Heavy metals are more harmful to the body when inhaled, vs being ingested, because more gets delivered to the body tissues and organs via the lungs, then through the digestive system.

Though the signs are there, people are still making the connection and just putting two and two together. There hasn't been enough national media on it yet.

I would like to see something that says, it was official banned for importation, sale or use, other then in two Virgina Cities.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:21 PM

The thing is that it was really from one source of Dry Wall. Other Chineese companys could be on the up and up and I am sure the inspectors have been inspecting new drywall coming from China before they even let it into the port. Every Cargo Ship has a cargo list and if they see drywall from China believe me at some point it will be inspected.

May be the hotel freaked when they saw the word China on the drywall and they had them remove it. May be it was bad drywall somone bought, stored and waited to sell it later.

The biggest thing is that if it were still rampent you would hear warnings and stories going on every day. The fact that you only see a few leads you to the conclusion that either it has all been discovered or it has been just about all discovered. I would say that if the house has been sitting empty for a couple of years I would worry but from what the news stories say the problems would show up in a few months and not three years later all of the sudden.

Until about a year ago most people who had the issue were in the dark about it and were blaming the issues on other things. Now everyone knows and the signs are so obvious that there is no way you could not see it with untrained eyes or nose.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:17 PM

This may help round out the pictue for the Virginia cities that did just recently ban it about two months ago-

This hotel was putting Chinese Drywall in during 2009. had that hotel been in any other state, it would've finished and openned it's doors soon with CDW in it.

Chinese Drywall Virginia Hotel Developer

This supplier had it, and only dumped it around the same time when he was faced with law suits and the city ban.

YouTube - Chinese drywall tossed out

My point being, this drywall was being sold and used in new construction even in early 2009.

A few cities in Virginia are the only ones that have taken steps to ban it.

Sadly, the media coverage on the problem has been so poor, people are still buying homes with it, because either they, their realtors, and or their Home inspectors, do not even know what to look for, that is even if they know to be looking for it at all.

That Feds have not even declared this a problem yet. They say they need more testing and more money for more testing.

In short, everyone needs to learn more about it, and protect themselves. I wouldn't trust in the least, that it has " all been identified in every home, condo, comercial building, and warehouse, was removed and shipped backed to China.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:28 PM

So what you are saying is that if one company sells bad dry wall then every company that sells drywall from that country is bad? I might freak as well if I saw the word China on drywall that was being hung in my new house. I would also insist that they take it down and get somethinig else unless they want to sign a form that they take full responsibility for any damage caused by it. I would also take a piece and send it off to be examined. The only reason I would do it is not that I am not rational like some but that I do not have the resources to fight a possible problem. The only thing you can do is either ask for it to be changed or get a written gurantee that is signed off by an attorney.

Oh well you win the argument. When was the last time you saw a story about Chineese dry wall being a problem in PSL?

Old 07-24-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
So what you are saying is that if one company sells bad dry wall then every company that sells drywall from that country is bad? I might freak as well if I saw the word China on drywall that was being hung in my new house. I would also insist that they take it down and get somethinig else unless they want to sign a form that they take full responsibility for any damage caused by it. I would also take a piece and send it off to be examined. The only reason I would do it is not that I am not rational like some but that I do not have the resources to fight a possible problem. The only thing you can do is either ask for it to be changed or get a written gurantee that is signed off by an attorney.

Oh well you win the argument. When was the last time you saw a story about Chineese dry wall being a problem in PSL?
This isn't an argument. This is to people working together to help inform others.

Of course not all drywall made in China is bad. There are hundreds of manufacturers of drywall in China, and there are no more then 5-6 that made contaminated drywall that came here after 2000. They have found some, not labeled at all.

How many of those 5-6 manufacturers can anyone in Florida name if asked?

What good is knowing that all drywall made in China is not bad, if you don't know which ones are and which ones are not? There are even a few homes with U.S. made names that are claimed to causing the same problems.

The Feds say they are still investigating and testing. Until they are done, they can not ban the bad makes. The CPSC could ban it, yet say they want to do more investigating and testing as well. If they had gotten more complaints instead of just 600ish so far out of the hundreds of thousands effected, they may have banned it already by larger complaint number alone.

Don't be surprised if something new pops up in PSL. Just when I thought my county was done identifying where it was, 3 more subdivisions popped up. Many people are trying to keep their sub divisions out of the press over this because they are concerned about resale. Sooner or later, someone gets pissed of with the builder and goes to the press, or some AC guy who replaced a lot of coils in the neighborhood, leeks it and it gets found out and ends up in the press, or the builder itself out's the community at some point when put on the spot by the press, from a tip.

As long as people know it's out there and what to look for, and to stay away from it if they find it, that's good. I am not confident enough that it has all been publically identified, to say, "coast is clear in this or that town."

This crap being in some homes and condos isn't going to make or break a whole town/city. Might as well just let potential buyers know about it's use in Florida and how to identify it. Better to put them on notice then have them blindly move their children into a home that will make them sick and destroy their things.

Anyway, I was just asking if anyone new of a ban put on this stuff outside of the two cities in Virginia, or of a press release that said every home made with CDW has been identified and tagged, so home buyers are now safe from encountering it?

I ask that people be careful minimizing the problem, out of concern for children whose parents, feeling safe and protected from it, because it's been in the news, move them into one of these toxic homes, because they had their guard down and didn't do the proper inspection for it before they bought.

I don't want to win anything. I want for not another family or child to step in toxic drywall doo doo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach