Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 AM

578 posts, read 1,775,981 times

Advertisements

Wow 12 per hour is what you were making on unemployment as well? I can tell you from experience two things. 1. People who hire are looking for people with continuous working records so taking any job whether it pays well or not will serve you to that end. 2. Unemployment does not last forever. Taking a job that is beneth you is sometimes what people have to do in order to survive.

Now please don't take this personally because I am not focusing it at you but I keep hearing the phrase "Jobs that Americans won't do" being thrown around. This is what is wrong with our employment system. There are thousands of jobs out there yet unemployment is 10% nationwide and close to 20% here. If the odds were stacked against me and I had to face either being out in the street on welfare or having my credit ruined versus having a job that pays money (any kind) while I get back on my feet, I am going to choose that one.

Who knows taking a job like that may get your foot in the door. I know people who worked for free for the experience because they could not get a job. They are all making very good money now thanks to their efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:21 AM

87 posts, read 242,537 times
Default ummmm....

It is not completely about the pay. The psychological aspect of a non-challenging, menial job also plays apart. Awhile ago I was working at a job that did not challenge me. I was more educated and, quite frankly, more intelligent than them. Not being conceited..... Anyways, the job began to take a toll on me mentally and the phrase "at lease I have a job" became unimportant. When I was laid off....I was so grateful. The job offer was with Nationshealth at the Orange Blossom mall. Like I said, I moved here from Boca and don't know the area very well at all. The Orange Blossom mall is desolate and depressing. Unemployment will be extended. I have never thought this way before (feel like a left-winger) but I might as well just stay on unemployment until I find a job I will be happy with. I really should have thought before moving to PSL. The people are nice but there are no "real" jobs.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 AM

376 posts, read 910,404 times
You know, SteveP111 is so right ~ there will be a 'new normal' when it comes to the job market. Just because some one used to make $25 bucks an hour, back in the day, does not mean they will make it now. Or that they are even worth $25 an hour in this economy. The people who survive & thrive in this new economy will be the ones flexible enough to work a job without concentrating on what they used to make ~ akin to home owners who are still disillusioned about their house value because they could've got XXXXX a few years ago. Time to look through the windshield instead of the rear view mirror.

There are many reasons to work a job you believe is below you ~ dignity and self respect are just a few.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 PM

917 posts, read 2,614,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Please don't take my word as gospel.
No I wouldn't without checking it out myself, but it is food for thought. "your allowed to look for jobs out of state" seems to make sense, but what if the wife and I wanted to go look for work in Hawaii? I think they might have a problem with that.

I'm seriously considering moving back up to the North East. I'll look into it.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:39 PM

Default ummmm.....

no offense but dignity and self respect cannot be associated with a job that I would not even consider. Unemployment for me is about $1200 a month. That only pays for my mortgage. The rest of the bills are paid with my savings. Why would I work at a job for $12/hr that would pretty much equal $1200.00 a month when all is said and done?? It doesn't make sense. I am not expecting to make a great salary but with my education and experience, I cannot accept a job for $12/hr just to say "I am employed and I have a job." I made a really bad decision moving here. I moved here because the people were alot my down to earth than Boca. I realize my mistake and will probably end up moving soon. I am not just focusing on nurse recruiting but pretty much any job that I find interesting. Problem is.....there really are no jobs here and I doubt there will ever be. I could always work at the multi-million dollar botanical center and garden being built near me....ugh!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 11:10 PM

76 posts, read 330,146 times
Wow I hope things get better for you! I moved back to FL from Richmond VA and I live in Okeechobee right now and drive to PSL for Work! It is 40 minutes and I do not make much money but I am VERY thankful for the job I have. This economy is rough right now. I will pray for you that things get better. I was very scared cause I couldn't find work for a while but I did. Took months. I am moving to Broward in 6 months! The jobs and city is better. I like Okeechobee and PSL cause the people are more down to earth I agree! But im looking past that and not letting people get to me anymore and not let them chose where I live. Good luck hun

Old 10-03-2009, 06:46 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb131313 View Post
no offense but dignity and self respect cannot be associated with a job that I would not even consider. Unemployment for me is about $1200 a month. That only pays for my mortgage. The rest of the bills are paid with my savings. Why would I work at a job for $12/hr that would pretty much equal $1200.00 a month when all is said and done?? It doesn't make sense.
Well, one reason is you wouldn't be on the government dole, causing the state to raise taxes on the employers to pay unemployment and continuing to restrain the job market. The other reason would be self respect and not expecting the government to feed you.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:34 AM

376 posts, read 910,404 times
You know Lilybeans, you are correct about raising costs to employers for unemployment insurance... something I never thought about.

I have worked many jobs over the years but I have always worked! Some jobs paid better than others but I learned something from them all. Sometimes I learned to get a new skill so I wouldn't have to do (fill in the blank) anymore. LOL!

Getting an unearned check monthly is just another problem with our country today. BTW this is not a reference to people on unemployment who are anxious to work for a living and simply can't find a job. My heart goes out to them.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Default ummmm.......

It does not pay me to take a $12/hr job when gas and wear and tear is factored in as well. I really do like PSL but as far as finding a career here...I just don't see it. I'm not trying to sound like a liberal continuing to live off the government but there are no skills, in my opinion, that I can gain from answering telephones i.e. customer service. Plus the old Orange Blossom mall is soooo darn depressing. I will just continue to apply for jobs on Careerbuilder etc and hopefully find something. I was offered a job with Mattress Firm 3 months ago. Base pay was $36,000 plus commission. I have a sales background in healthcare not so much in retail. I regret turning down that job as I thought there would be a few more opportunities around here.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
II'm not trying to sound like a liberal continuing to live off the government
Is that what we liberals do? I wish I knew that so I could be doing it too!

Quote:
but there are no skills, in my opinion, that I can gain from answering telephones i.e. customer service.
Humility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach