U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,459 times

Advertisements

Hi we are planning a relocation in the next month or so and have been looking at some rentals in port st lucie. We have 2 girls in high school. Can anyone lets us know some great high schools in the area for us to look at. We have been looking online at homes in port st lucie and sebastian and port charlette vero beach. Also can anyone let us know the safest area around. Thanks for any help given
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 PM

584 posts, read 1,216,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeedad724 View Post
Hi we are planning a relocation in the next month or so and have been looking at some rentals in port st lucie. We have 2 girls in high school. Can anyone lets us know some great high schools in the area for us to look at. We have been looking online at homes in port st lucie and sebastian and port charlette vero beach. Also can anyone let us know the safest area around. Thanks for any help given
My question to you is why Port St. Lucie ?
For me if you are retiree and don't need a job, don't have children to attend school then Port St Lucie well worth a try. House are cheap here, property tax so high, home insure is rediculus high, schools are bad. Why consider it?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,114,298 times
Schools are "bad" if your kid isn't smart enough to make it to honors or advanced placement level courses. HOI is no different in PSL than any other city in Florida. Taxes are relatively high, but homes are dirt cheap. It's also a really safe place to live in general.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:07 AM

578 posts, read 1,629,518 times
Please don't listen to all the negativity toward PSL. A lot of people are disgruntled right now but overall PSL is a great family town. When I drive around in the morning I see parents with their kids at the bus stop or kids riding their bikes together and chaining them to a street sign at the bus stop. Sure there are a few negative things about the place like no mall but the police actively keep the crime down (a bit overboard with the tickets) but it is a safe place and rentals are easy to find right now. You might even consider buying.

The one thing that gets me about all of the negative people is that they discourage outsiders from coming in yet they blame the economy on all of the people who have moved out. I just don't get it. If you can come here and give to the community (as in pay taxes, have a job and be a good neighbor) then welcome to PSL.

BTW taxes here just went DOWN!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 AM

14,267 posts, read 17,057,650 times
I think there are a lot of pretty areas in PSL, although I've never lived there. I sent you a DM with a list of rentals I saw in Vero & Sebastian. I probably should have asked first. I'm not an agent, so I don't benefit in any way from this. I had an appointment yesterday at the Indian River Medical in Sebastian so I drove around and looked at some homes, picked up some brochures, etc.

Last week I drove to PSL to see a room for rent in a private home. (not really something I want, but it's a last minute option) I've been spending a lot on rent while I heal, and it's no fun watching your bank account shrink. It would also be much less work for me. Anyway, an agent keeps telling me to "only buy in a gated community," yet the neighborhood I went to was quiet, well kept, and the people I met were great. People in PSL wave to you when you drive by! This neighborhood was closer to route 1 than I-95. I believe it was off of Wiltshire.

You mentioned Port Charlotte, but that's clear across the state, so I'm not sure why you are choosing these cities. Charlotte County has a lot of retirees. Since I don't have children, I can't comment on the schools, but there are many threads on all the forums that discuss this issue.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 AM

584 posts, read 1,216,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Schools are "bad" if your kid isn't smart enough to make it to honors or advanced placement level courses. HOI is no different in PSL than any other city in Florida. Taxes are relatively high, but homes are dirt cheap. It's also a really safe place to live in general.
You still have to have a job to support cheap homes ,right? There are NO JOBS in the area. When talked about school you have to look beyond elem, mid, and high school. I meant universities ladies and gentlements ..... It has NONE of those..... So where is the future ?????
Port St. Lucie is only good for retiree...That's it.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,114,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
You still have to have a job to support cheap homes ,right? There are NO JOBS in the area. When talked about school you have to look beyond elem, mid, and high school. I meant universities ladies and gentlements ..... It has NONE of those..... So where is the future ?????
The job market is not the best right now. That's a given. Too much growth in the real estate field during the bubble times. However, many work in the surrounding areas, and those with professional degrees tend to be doing better than those who want to continue being "loan officers" or "mortgage brokers" right now.

Not every city in America has a university! However, you are WRONG about higher learning in PSL. PSL has a Florida Atlantic University campus within its borders, and Indian River State College is in the next town over, in Fort Pierce. Both have four year BA programs. Within about an hour of Port St. Lucie there are more Florida Atlantic University campuses (Jupiter and Boca), Northwood University, Nova Southeastern, Palm Beach Atlantic University, and Palm Beach Community College.

About an hour and a half to two hours away North and South you have University of Central Florida (Orlando), or the University of Miami (Miami). Students in the PSL area also attend FLorida State, University of Florida, and University of South Florida.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:36 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,057,650 times
The OP didn't say he needs to find a job. He could already have a job offer or work from home. That's why I didn't mention it.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:02 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,852,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
I wouldn't say that PSL has "no jobs". PSL has many jobs and quality jobs can still be located in SL County. There is a tremendous amount of qualified applicants in Florida's job market. Therefore, the competition in securing a Florida job is higher than one would expect. Some people say Florida attracks people because of the weather. Many others say it is definately the weather that attracks the elderly who are or will retire soon and select a sunny climate because it is just nice..

Well, children follow their parents and the many that did follow their parents or have seen or heard about PSL find this area as good of a location as any. Also, the COL in Florida is rather low compared to the Northern states and that is just one of many indicators of how to describe this area as a location that has people talking then flocking to Florida...

PSL is just trapped in a rush of Real Estate values that rocketed up and now we are on a down turn. The state of our country's economic condition has little to do with PSL in and of itself. We should pray for those residents who were caught in this flaming event. We should pray for them to find a more secured and better life for themselves.

God Bless our Veterans and Troops

Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,809,304 times
You are looking in an extremely wide area so not everyone can answer your questions. Port St. Lucie is very safe and lots of families live here.

Pt Charlotte you'd have to post in their area since none of us here live in that area.

You didn't mention anything about price or if you had a job that you can do anywhere which are both major questions to consider up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach