U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:01 AM

3 posts, read 23,517 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some advice on schools. I'm moving to Tradition from Long Island and need to know which K-8 schools are closest to there and rated the best. If you can let me know the top 3 that would help since I have to put in 3 choices for schools. Also I would love to hear from anyone already living in Tradition who have children going to school because I would like for my kids to go to schools with other kids in their neighborhood. Thanks for all your replies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 AM

79 posts, read 240,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janineredding View Post
Can anyone give me some advice on schools. I'm moving to Tradition from Long Island and need to know which K-8 schools are closest to there and rated the best. If you can let me know the top 3 that would help since I have to put in 3 choices for schools. Also I would love to hear from anyone already living in Tradition who have children going to school because I would like for my kids to go to schools with other kids in their neighborhood. Thanks for all your replies.
Well we're new to Tradition (TownPark) and although we chose our top 3 schools about a month ago...we haven't received any info back yet. The 3 schools we chose are relatively close...within 6 miles away. From the chart below, we chose schools 19, 23, 30, all K-8 schools graded A-B.

http://www.stlucie.k12.fl.us/pdf/0708ZoneMap.pdf (broken link)

Also, they are currently building a K-8 school in Tradition. But it's a charter school and to apply you must enter a lottery drawing, I believe. Depending on the age of your child(ren)...this may be a good option for your family. Hope that helped.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:46 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,268,692 times
Welcome to Tradition.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 97,278 times
While it is improving, there is little that you can do to guarantee your placement into any specific school in Port St. Lucie. As they get towards middle-high school, Lincoln Park Academy is rated as one of the best schools in the nation, but it's kind of a haul to Fort Pierce.

I think the school system is legitimately trying their best put out good products, but the busing they still do....which really has no rhyme or reason to where your kids are assigned, and the overcrowding from the huge influx of kids in the past few years, has hurt the district's ability to keep up. I think West Gate is a very new K-8 that is near Tradition, but because you live near it does not mean you will go to it. Our son was going to have to pass four elementary schools before he reached the school he was assigned to, so we opted to bring him down to Palm Beach County where I work for the school system.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:15 PM

31 posts, read 134,414 times
My DD will be going to Kindergarten again (don't get me started on this one) when we move down there. I just registered her last week. I had to rank ALL the schools (elem and K-8). Basically I was told I will most likely get my last choice (Bayshore) or maybe just maybe my first choice (Windmill Point). I was informed that I was basically SOL for the K-8 schools for Kindergarten or First grade.

So I guess it's depending on what grade they're in. But be prepared for the worse. I now have to wait until mid-June to see our assignment.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:35 PM

15 posts, read 120,198 times
This is scary! When we move to Tradition from Maryland in this coming winter I was hoping I could put them where ever I wanted. At least that was my understanding at the time. I will have one in middle school, one in elementary and one in preschool at that time. I was really looking forward to the k-8 charter in Tradition, I didn't realize there was a lottery. I guess if one gets in they all go. By the way, how is Town Park? We will be in Bennington.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:47 AM

79 posts, read 240,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenNav View Post
This is scary! When we move to Tradition from Maryland in this coming winter I was hoping I could put them where ever I wanted. At least that was my understanding at the time. I will have one in middle school, one in elementary and one in preschool at that time. I was really looking forward to the k-8 charter in Tradition, I didn't realize there was a lottery. I guess if one gets in they all go. By the way, how is Town Park? We will be in Bennington.
lol, don't be scared...many of the schools nearby are K-8...and since they tend to put siblings in the same school you should have the benefit of having your two older kids in the same school. I'm not sure about the one in pre-school...I forget if "pre-school" is the same as Kindergarten or not. But I did say "tend", I don't know if its official policy to put siblings in the same school but I doubt you'd have a problem with that unless you had about 5 kids.

Town Park is great so far (I live in Stockton), there's still a lot of construction going on, including the clubhouse but by the time you move here...Tradition in general will be much more developed. I have a younger sister that's also going to middle school so it's nice to hear about other kids her aging moving in.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 AM

23 posts, read 97,278 times
You will have a good chance to get your kids in the same school. Many of the schools in PSL are k-8, and they're almost all heading in that direction. Just hope that it's the same k-8 school that they get assigned to. It's a district that is much larger than it really should be right now, and it will be 3-5 years minimum before they fully catch up to the growth, possibly longer. On the positive side, you'll like Tradition and it's a very nice place to live.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:56 PM

15 posts, read 120,198 times
Thank you all for the info on the schools and calming me down. I'm sure I am not the only one who has faced packing up a family and moving 1000miles from home to start a new life. It's a little stressfull from time to time. I thought about home schooling, but I lack the patience that would be required.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:03 PM

31 posts, read 134,414 times
JenNav we're in the same boat, moving 1600+miles in less than two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach