U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 13,565 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, I am a professional in my early twenties living in New York, considering moving down to florida. My dad and I have a condo in Port St Lucie West we are renting out, and was thinking of moving in. Is this a good place for a young professional to move and meet people?? Thanks alot.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 AM

3,757 posts, read 7,916,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskyline View Post
Hi Guys, I am a professional in my early twenties living in New York, considering moving down to florida. My dad and I have a condo in Port St Lucie West we are renting out, and was thinking of moving in. Is this a good place for a young professional to move and meet people?? Thanks alot.
Depends upon your profession, but generally the answer would be - No.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 13,565 times
why not???

Old 01-03-2010, 07:34 PM

3,757 posts, read 7,916,271 times
1. Where will you work (that may not be so depending on your profession)
2. Lack of social life (geared toward retirees and families)
3. Closest metropolitan area is West Palm ( and really that doesnt count).
If you are looking for fun, a place to develop a career, meet new people and enjoy life - PSL aint it. If you are looking for a place to hang out with retirees and families (many of whom are stuck in housing without well earning jobs close by) then its the spot for you.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 PM

17,288 posts, read 26,993,888 times
Port St. Lucie is more of a family oriented community, or a community for retirees. It is also overwhelmingly working class/blue collar. There are young professionals in town, but you will most likely be disappointed. There isn't really a "place" where you will find young people congregating after work, etc.

Most young professional couples on the Treasure Coast live and work in Palm Beach County. More professional opportunities down South than in St. Lucie, Martin, or Indian River counties.

If committed to a move to PSL, see if you can meet people with similar interests by joining young professional "meetup" groups online, etc., because that will be the best way to find likeminded people your age.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:18 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,125,640 times
PSL is "overwhelmingly working class/blue collar" ?

Old 04-11-2010, 03:06 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,451,679 times
There are plenty of young professionals. You'll meet them at your job. If you are expecting to meet people at bars, then the others are right-go to West Palm.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM

17,288 posts, read 26,993,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
PSL is "overwhelmingly working class/blue collar" ?
Essentially, yes.

There is definitely less corporate worker presence and less corporate jobs in PSL than in Palm Beach, Lauderdale, or Miami.

Not saying there AREN'T professionals, but you'll find a lot less concentration of lawyers, bankers, etc. in PSL (and Vero and even Stuart) than further South.

That being said, there are plenty of people with money in PSL, and some very very nice areas to live (St. Lucie West, areas near water, etc.) are full of bigger homes, planned and gated communities, etc... but working folk with regular 3/2/2 homes on non-HOA quarter acre lots outnumber them by a lot.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. PSL may be more working middle class/middle class city, but it's safe, you can get a good house for inexpensive, and it's a down to earth kinda place.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 AM

578 posts, read 1,622,504 times
PSL is about as Mayberry as it gets. Don't believe me, send someone an email down at City Hall with a question and see what happens. I did that last week and heard from everyon as if I were some high ranking official. If I tried that in Miami I would never get a response.

PSL is really a bedroom community with safe neighborhoods, lots of Churches and plenty to do if your the out doors type. It is not crowded for the most part and they are forward thinking unlike other places. You can get a house at a decent price and taxes and insurance won't drive you out.

Yes there are a lot of things that PSL does not have but for the most part those missing things are what makes it a great place to live. It is not a segregated community at all and for the most part people are tolerant of each other and respectful of their property.

Now I am not saying the place is utopia because even Mayberry had Otis Campbell and Earneste Bass. PSL definately has some trashy people but it is obvious and you have many choices in where you live if you want to avoid these people.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:54 PM

105 posts, read 257,563 times
I just got back from Port St Lucie after spending just about 4 days house shopping and can say this.. The city is like most places. It has some very beautiful areas and some that have some run down homes. But the crime rate is very very low and the city has friendly people for the most part.

The thing I got a kick out of is you can be on one block with some older homes that people let get run down then you got around the block and all the homes look like new and upper class. Or you get two small houses on the outside of one really big house. That is what I love about Florida. Everyone is mixed in not like some who put all the rich in one area and the not so rich in another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach