Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 AM

232 posts, read 886,574 times

Advertisements

Ok let me get this straight....because we will possibly be building/purchasing... If you buy a home for say 200,000 you dont pay taxes the first year on the purchase price of 200,000 but on the market value? at 80 percent??? so if it goes up another say..200,000 you will pay 80% of that?? sorry..just a little confused and if this is right then that is crazy!!!!! it should be based on the value of your home not the market. Can anyone make this clear for me??? I sure dont want to buy a house and figure out my taxes and think everything is a..ok only to find out they are not.thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 11:29 AM

38 posts, read 136,759 times
I have been told by the tax appraiser that they go 100% of market value. heres a quote from them.

[CENTER]The Appraisal Process[/CENTER]

The St. Lucie County Property Appraiser's Office determines the value of your property based upon the current real estate market. To find the value of any piece of property, the Property Appraiser must first know what properties similar to it are selling for, what it would cost today to replace it, how much it takes to operate and keep it in repair, what income it earns, as well as other facts affecting value. The Property Appraiser has not created value; people create value by their transactions in the marketplace. The Appraiser's Office, simply, has the legal responsibility to study those transactions and appraise the property accordingly.

Property Appraiser:772- 462-1000

Last edited by Richard Charles Antolinez; 02-07-2007 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Richard that is horrible.. kinda makes you leary when purchasing. Shoot if I could afford property tax on a half a million dollar home then I would buy one not a 250,000 dollar home only to be taxed that way if the market should go up. Geez, is there anything you can do in that case? In my opinion it is unfair because you cant control the market in the future and what are they looking at in particular?? for example not all 4br/2bath house 1500sq feet are the same..

Old 02-11-2007, 04:42 PM

6 posts, read 26,199 times
And that is why SO MANY PEOPLE have lost their homes in PSL! My dear friend just had a nice 3,800 tax increase....300 extra dollars a month. If you can AFFORD to buy a home here, PSL is ok. The weather is fantastic in the winter and becomes close to UNBEARABLE in the summer. AND YOU NEVER "get used to it"...some of us can endure discomfort better than others. I have only lived here five years and I have seen alligators and several species of snakes but they will not bother you if you do not bother them. Honestly I think the Jensen area and downtown Fort Pierce areas and White City have some of the best neighborhoods that actually have history and character. PSL is all the same, and it is one big strip mall....and Tradition is an Orwellian nightmare. Stepford Wives anyone? I do find downtown Jensen and Fort Pierce endearing, culturally stimulating, and they both offer excellent cuisine. The beach is wonderful. PSL.....not so much. There is one fabulous coffee shop on Bayshore in PSL that offers art, live music and other neat activities but PSL is all the same, the neighborhoods, the strip malls, the traffic, the houses all look the same....it depresses me. There are cool areas in PSL around White City Park that are spectacular neighborhoods, still semi quiet and old school. I am trying to come up with the funds to purchase a home on Sunrise in Fort Pierce...however, try living in this county on a teacher's salary....they do not pay teachers diddley to work here and the benefits are atrocious especially if you have children. Be sure that you have a secure position and enough money. Do not spend your life savings to move here because it is a lot more difficult to move than you would expect. The beach is a plus, Friday Fest is great, all the fairs and fests in Jensen and Fort Pierce are wonderful and the world famous Archie's...unless you are unbearably stuck up is always good for the best juicy cheeseburger, an eclectic group of customers and great live music. Your teenagers will hate PSL. And you might find it a bit scary and boring that it is really "all the same", overpriced, and the taxes are high....and there really aren't that many high paying jobs in the area. You will most likely have to commute...that is the TRUTH.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:12 PM

missesworld your post gained my curiousity... I went to city data to check out ft pierce and my only concern was on the crime index of average being 325.2 Ft Pierce was 901.6 I wonder why the crime index is so high???? I mean that is WAY out of the ballpark.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:13 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missesworld View Post
...that is the TRUTH.
As you see it. There are some outrageous overstatements in your assessment.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:16 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
missesworld your post gained my curiousity... I went to city data to check out ft pierce and my only concern was on the crime index of average being 325.2 Ft Pierce was 901.6 I wonder why the crime index is so high???? I mean that is WAY out of the ballpark.
In most of Fort Pierce, you will not be aware there is a high crime index. There is a pretty bad section of Fort Pierce that has a lot of poverty, drug dealing and the associated crime. Avoid that area and you would be fine. There probably wouldn't be any drug dealing or prostitution if there were no customers from outside the area wanting the service...

Old 02-11-2007, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 26,199 times
There are definately areas of Fort Pierce that are high crime; however, I think the downtown and most of Fort Pierce is amazing....high concentration of crime in particular areas. Old timer, I respect your love for PSL, and I have become aquainted with many people that have lived here 20 plus years...but I do not think I overstated the crux of this town one bit.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,073 times
I love Fort Pierce too. I heard about White City but don't know where it is. I work at Jupiter where the house is twice the price in Tradition (now) and property tax rate is similar. From Tradition to Jupiter, it only takes me 30minutes. I don't mind to have a stepford wives' house if I can afford. I guess different people have different needs. We shoud say no matter what kind of person you are, you can find your house in St. Lucie County.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:46 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
I wouldn't live in Fort Pierce except for down by the River, the Western rural parts of the city, or on North Hutchinson Island.

Ft. Pierce once had the ubiquitous distinction of being the 'crack capital' of Florida for its being the largest entry point for illegal drugs into Florida.

Having basically grown up in Port St. Lucie, Ft. Pierce has too much of a negative conotation for me. It was always the place you locked your doors when going through. I wouldn't even want a Ft. Pierce address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach