Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 06:35 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,489,131 times

Advertisements

Both Lawnwood and PSL hospitals are owned by HCA. I have been in both and have experienced no difference in care. Lawnwood has an open heart surgery unit that is led by an extremely competent staff. No other hospital in the area has been able to obtain a Certificate of Need for a heart unit until this year, when both Indian River and Martin hospitals finally obtained them.

Lawnwood often gets a bad rap simply because it's in Fort Pierce, and ignorant people rap anything in Fort Pierce without investigation. It's hard to understand; they follow the same policies, hire from the same labor pool and most doctors have privileges at both.

Martin Memorial Health Systems in based in Stuart (Martin County), and many people say they prefer it. I can't see that the health care is any better there, but there is an issue of snobbery. Martin Memorial has been trying to break into the PSL market for years. They have purchased land in Tradition and are hoping to get approval to build an 80 bed hospital in that western portion of PSL. I think we could use a hospital out there because PSL is so physically vast. I personally have never approved of Martin Memorial's policies and management decisions with regard to pushing their services; I feel they are heavy handed. However, that has nothing to do with quality of care.

There are also excellent hospitals in Jupiter and Sebastion. While they are too far for emergency care, many people prefer them for elective surgeries, etc. They are also preferred by the Medicare Advantage Plan to which I belong.

I have heart damage that is too severe to permit heart surgery. I got my primary care at PSL Medical Center and had my defibrillator installed at Palm Beach Gardens Hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 09:37 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,561,998 times
Default Thank you very much, pslOldTimer

Thank you very much for all the info. I will try the Vietnamese restaurant first.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:53 PM

991 posts, read 4,607,166 times
Dear PSL oldtimer, Sorry to hear about your medical problems, I hope everything is okay for you in the future! I just wanted to compliment you on your postings on here, you are a very helpful person!

Old 03-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Thank you very much for all the info. I will try the Vietnamese restaurant first.
I apologize if I am making a wrong assumption, but from your sign-on name and your comments about being a naturalized citizen, I have come to the conclusion that you have an Asian background. I would be honored if you would try my recommendation, and then let this poor judge know if I am correct, from an expert's point of view.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Dear PSL oldtimer, Sorry to hear about your medical problems, I hope everything is okay for you in the future! I just wanted to compliment you on your postings on here, you are a very helpful person!
Thank you for the kind words and the concern. I have learned to live with the heart damage, apparently caused by silent heart attacks. I have learned to adjust my diet and physical effort, and along with my medications, have actually improved in the last two years. I went from not being able to walk across the house to recently taking a long cruise, where we often walked into town in the various ports. I can drive my tractor several hours each day, so life is good. Now, if I could only figure out how to get some weight off...

Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,296,135 times
I hope the city allows the Hospital to be built out in Tradition. It is simply too far to drive in the event of an emergency from the Western edge of the city past to east of US1! Plus, the sheer number of people that have moved here makes a second (or even third!) hospital feasible and necessary! Any moves by St. Lucie Medical to block construction of another hospital is a disservice to the people of Port St. Lucie.

Recently, a friends mother had a terrible virus. She was taken by her husband to St. Lucie Medical where they waited in the emergency room for hours and hours. Finally, as my friend's mother's condition worsened, an ER attendant told them, "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but Martin Memorial doesn't have a wait right now." They left, and walked right into treatment at Martin Memorial, where she had to spend a couple of days in intensive care.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:18 PM

12 posts, read 43,348 times
After reading months of post by different people, i thought i put my .02 cents in about PSL.
ME and my girlfriend just moved to PSL in FEB 07, and we love it so far. We moved here from Pembroke Pines,FL. Were the taxes on my 2/1 1100sq ft house just went up to $3000.00 and so did my Ins to another $3000.00 a year. So after that happened, we decided it was time to go... so after looking for months we decided on PSL. Yeah i heard all the good things and bad things. But what city does'nt have them???? We looked in lakeland,orlando,daytona,cape coral,ft meyers, and every single one had something wrong with them. Dont get me wrong so does PSL, but hey you learn to live with it.
And for those people who complain about the traffic......WHAT TRAFFIC??? obviously you have never drove through HIALEAH,FL ....lol i did it for several years to get to work and back..... COMPLETE NIGHTMARE!!!
The only thing i see wrong with PSL is that:
1. everything closes early..."not like broward county"
2. everything is 10-20mins away....

But thats it.... you learn to deal with it....
OH and i bought a new home off becker rd, for $255,000.00 and my ins was half of what it was down in broward. But i dont know what my taxes are going to be yet? since we bought early this year and they have not applied to us yet. BUT IF ITS TO HIGH, THEN OFF TO THE NEXT STATE!!!!!

Thanks to pslOldTimer for all his input on PSL...

Old 03-24-2007, 01:19 AM

ToyoRotor, you might be interested in a little history about the Becker Rd area. Years ago, the entire area was the Becker Ranch. General Development Corp bought most of it to add to Port St. Lucie, but the Becker family kept a plot right in the center of the area. Today, that plot is still there -- about a half block off Port St. Lucie Blvd down near Becker Road. If you look carefully, you can still see a pole barn and some other structures that were part of the ranch.

The Becker Ranch was there even before the Turnpike was constructed. Access was by a dirt road from Murphy Road (now Mapp Road) in Martin County. When the Turnpike was constructed, they had to give the Beckers access to the property, so an expensive concrete bridge was built over the turnpike just to connect the dirt road to Becker Ranch after it was split by the Turnpike.

When GDC developed that southern part of PSL, they paved the dirt road from the bridge over to the area by I-95 (although I-95 didn't exist, yet) and named it Becker Road in honor of the Becker Ranch folks. Over on the East side of the road, from the bridge to Murphy Road, it was still dirt. That part of it wasn't paved until around 8 or 10 years ago or thereabouts. Of course, today, the Ginn Company has constructed Tesoro over there, the bridge has been totally replaced and there is a new Turnpike exit going in at Becker.

The Becker family has been gone a while; the tracts are owned by some equity company in Miami. They would certainly shake their heads in wonderment at all the development and folks living on their former ranchland.

By the way, did you give yourself the name ToyoRotor because you have a rotary powered Toyota? Maybe a Starlet? If so, I may have some Starlet parts you might be interested in -- My son and I used to race a Starlet in SCCA road racing. Moderators, this is not an advertisement, because I may very well give the parts away if I'm right about ToyoRotor.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:51 AM

12 posts, read 70,254 times
Default Tradition Prices?

Can anyone post current Square Foot/Prices for homes in Tradition. Our family may be moving to the area in a few months and I'm doing some early research on where we might live. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:37 PM

150 posts, read 704,097 times
Anyone know when the Turnpike\Becker Rd exit will open? Also, just took a job in downtown Stuart area.Is there a quicker route than Port St.Lucie Blvd to Federal? I'm in the Gatlin/Tulip area.Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach